More of this Modelling Lark (BE Gunship Concept)

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by TheBoff, Oct 7, 2008.

1. TheBoff

TheBoff Member

Right: I've always enjoyed modelling, and haven't let not being very good at it put me off.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

It's all got hard edges, so you can see some idea of the polies.

That's the chassis of the plane without weapons, and now I'd like some community input: should it have missile launchers (if so, I think I'd mount them inside, and have them pointing out of the side), or cannons mounted on the base. I'm going to add a bulge about half way along, to represent vtol Jets, and squarish jets on each wing, near the body. It will be coloured black, with a gold glass cockipt covering almost the whole front, except for a cross bar. The double back fins, are meant to be similar to those on megels.

So give me your input but please don't be too harsh!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It's a dildo with wings.

It's going to look dull whatever you do with it, you need a more iconic base design.

3. TheBoff

TheBoff Member

Back to the drawind board I guess.

4. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

While I agree with the dildo with wings comment, thats exactly the modeling style that is needed. I guess if you up the poly count a bit (Not overly extreme and make it too smooth, but, a bit more than that.) it would look better, however, it looks too civilian to be a military bomber.

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Well it's not that it's a bad model as much as it looks like a 747 with the wings off a much smaller jet stuck on the side.

It doesn't look interesting, it's the modelled equivalent of the two bits of wood with a nail in the middle which is what children invariably make when you tell them to make a plane out of wood.

There's plenty of interesting shapes you could do which keep the conventional technology feel to them but perhaps approach it from a different way, such as putting swing-engines on the side of the craft and perhaps a different wing shape, as well as incorporating the wings and body more smoothly.

6. TheBoff

TheBoff Member

Yeah: the wing body transition did sort of shit up, frankly. Fiddling with it couldn't make it work, so I'm gooing down a different route for thee next one. I think it would look better with engines, but cba to make it work. It does also look a bit better with smoothing on, but meh.

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

HL2 can use smoothing can't it? I don't think there's anything wrong with smoothing if you use it properly.

8. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Its actually modeled correctly though so I give this one my vote as best.

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah I would have to agree there that it certainly looks the best made of any of the ones I've seen thus far, looks like how I got taught to do it.