More code support in Scripts

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Ranger, May 24, 2016.

?

Is green text hard to read?

1. 1

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. 0

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Ranger

Ranger Member

Personally I try to balance weapons in my scripts with RPM and DPS. I always have to do calculations to convert my rpm to "time between shots" in the scripts. Like if I want 600 RPM for a tank it must fire 10 bullets per second. Assuming that if I set the value to one, the weapon will fire one bullet per second then I have to set it at 0.1.
    It just gets annoying with other numbers.

So maybe a programmer can keep this in mind and change it someday?

And since we're talking about code. Perhaps make it possible to have an item dependent on more than one research and also allow a projectile to deal more than one type of damage. So have two damage values or three. I could think of firing mode option for bath tank and infantry weapons but last I heard this idea was not much appreciated in the community. But I think the other changes could prove handy for some.

Hold the door.

EDIT: I can't make HEMG take a cannon slot without making its projectiles turn into nasty tank shells that are affected by gravity.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

awesome contrast ...

... not

for the 1st part - per second just makes a lot more sense since you can just put it in calculations without dividing by 60.

for the 2nd - its probably quite a bit of effort just for someone to play around with.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  3. Ranger

Ranger Member

It's cause I'm renger. I love green

4. flasche

yes you are special i admire that, but its hard to read, so please at least use a color that contrasts with all the themes.
    or at best just use the default.

5. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

RPM is such a stupid value to use...
    "Whooo hooo my G36 shoots 750 rpm!!"
    "So what? You shoot those 30 bullets in 2.4 seconds, then spend the next 3 to 5 seconds reloading. If you use a drum mag, you empty your 100 shot clip in 8 seconds and spend the next 4 to 7 seconds reloading. Not accounting for the time it takes you to aquire a target, aim and check for hits, that drops your actual firerate to about 350 shots per minute. Of course, assuming you actually carry those 350 bullets with you."
    "... fuck you."

6. Ranger

Ranger Member

It's stupid saying it's stupid. I find it useful.

60rpm means hemg fires a shot each second. 120 rpm means it fires 2 shots per second as it is currently I think. It's very practical. It doesn't matter how much ammo you have.

7. flasche

the unit of time is second. minute is no actual SI unit, its not fitting the system, its only accepted due to colloquial use.
    having useless calculation for something as minor as dividing or multiplying by 60 is just a waste.

id be all for deka-, kilo-, and mega seconds - in the other direction we use correct SI prefixes. 6des = 1min, 3.6ks = 1h, 0.6Ms = ~1week, 31Ms =~ 1year ;)

8. Ranger

Ranger Member

I know. However, I find it better for making weapons.

I have fun with the scripts. It would be better for me due to the amount of weapons I make 5.56 and 7.62 one slot mgs. 12.7 2-slot mgs and 3-slot 5.56, 7.62 12.7 gatling guns. 20mm and 30mm autocannons and gatling-style cannons. It annoys me. time between slots 0.0000000000000000000001. Shit how much is that! Limit is 0.01 I think?

9. flasche

0.01 would be 100 shot per second or 6000 per minute - it tells me the range is suffient.
    also what ranger says is true, the theoretical fire rate says nothing about the actual fire rate of a weapon (reallife weapons, not the calculated RPM from scripts)
    its highly dependent on how fast reloading works.

btw you should hold yourself up with details such as differences of 0.01 second. no human being can percieve it, even if you fire a 100 rounds mag - noone can tell if its 1s or 1.1s, we already need machines to tell differences at this scale.

10. Ranger

Ranger Member

Calculating is the only way to balance weaponz. Knowing the exact values helps me see clearly what I have to do.

Btw Balance is not what I aim for anyway. even an MG with 6000rpm sucks in empires because of hit detection, lag whatever. The chaingun has 0.01 I think. A good idea would be to copy the TF2 minigun. Each unit of your ammo fires 4 bullets making it like a shotgun. So if having perfect aim doesn't matter because of hit detection, I believe multiple pellets would do the job hue. Had this idea for months but never tried it. I really don't know how to aim with an MG, it really annoys me it takes 100 bullets to kill someone. It's only easy when they run away from you so you can't miss.

11. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Draw tiny circles around them with your crosshair.

I never had much trouble killing infantry with mgs. Even std mg is pretty good. I have to say if you really want every thing to be as effective as 50 cal you better rebalance it so infantry can take out tanks with rpgs. This works in battlefield because tanks can die in about 3 shots, depending on where you hit them. In empires it really can take 6-10 shots and that's not really good at all.

12. Ranger

Ranger Member

Remember how RPG units in C&C Generals work? They fire about 4 rockets before an Empires Gren can fire again. So we can say RTS tanks need a lot of explosions to die. RTS makes tanks weak against units pro at killing tanks duh. but other infantry is weak in most of the cases. Where does Empires stand?

Empires, gives advantages to tanks mostly because they are hard to kill etc. But you need to take in consideration the various occasions where infantry vs vehicles battles occur. I believe tanks should be effective against infantry in some occasions and not in others. For example. Being a 50Cal APC in dust storm trying to kill someone, running around in the middle of the desert, for 10 seconds is very annoying and stupid. A player does not know how to aim to counter Empires glitches. Doesn't know lag and hit detection is problematic. All he knows is he has shot the enemy 50 times, he has seen them bleed enough to fill a bathtub and they're still running and now they're out of ammo so they decide to run them over instead of shooting obviously. Which is wrong. They should simply die.

When infantry are behind defenses they should have the advantage. As you said, it takes too many shots with the guided missiles. So, perhaps a slightly stronger RPG would help. But then, would a new RPG change the game too much as it could perhaps be stronger than some vehicle weapons? We don't want rocket stickies right?

Anyway that's not the topic. RPM is not what I firmly want. Rounds per second would do well for me, no problem. The logic is the same. Time between shots, on the other hand, is pointless and impractical.

13. flasche

its a calculation less though, even if it probably wouldnt be the big performance offender in the end.

also why the hell do you use vehicle mgs against infantry? just run them over ...

... nothing deals 130 damage as reliable and with such little risk as my tanks radiator grill does.

14. Ranger

Ranger Member

Exactly my point. MGs are so ineffective, it's more convenient to run people over. But when you find groups of infantry in the open you can't run them over and after all, do you really want to get close to riflemen?

Apart from that, don't you see how wrong it is to decide to run people over instead of shooting them with a machine gun? The game is wrong for allowing such things.

15. flasche

oh no i didnt mean to say that. its totally wrong, the reason you can do this though, is because tanks are way too tough and way too fast.
    first fix this, then complain about unpredicted vehicle mgs. if it gets even harder to kill tanks, then its really only get a tank or quit to spec before you just waste tickets.

i dare you try run over people in battlefield (yes trickster i know, empires isnt battlefield ^^)

16. Lazybum

I was actually having a lot of success running people over with a jeep in battlefield. It was kinda annoying to know that I was having more success playing battlefield like empires instead of well, battlefield.

As an aside, I'm terrible at running people with tanks, I just can't seem to get it to work right. I'm talking about empires here.

17. flasche

yes it kinda works with jeeps. they take damage from small arms though.

idk how to improve on running people over though. handbreak drifting helps a bit but its no guarantee either. what you should not try is to run someone specific over at all cost. if it doesnt work right away either just ignore it and leave or gain some distance and try again. dont try too close as infantry can easily outmaneuver you. and careful if its engis with a decent ping, they can get you stuck on all sorts of things :D

but i assume you know all that, so in the end its probably just training. the more you try the better you will get. especially since its not all that hard.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  18. Ranger

Ranger Member

+I can't make HEMG take a cannon slot without making its projectiles turn into nasty tank shells that are affected by gravity.

19. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

What about 0 gravity for it?
    Even though speed is a thing, too.

20. Lazybum

It's not just gravity and speed, there is recoil that will push the tank. Even if damage is low(I think there's a relation between damage and recoil) there's still enough force to affect your speed. Though it makes the coolest booster. You don't have this problem with mgs.