Model Idea : Ramps

Discussion in 'Art' started by Xyaminou, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

How on earth is it wrong?

What can you use a ramp for other than to put behind a wall to shoot over or to use as a one way gate?

If you put it behind a wall to let you shoot over the wall you're playing defensively, you should be charging across the field and trying to blow up the enemy rax, not sitting behind a wall and taking potshots.

If you use it as a one way gate you're walling yourself in, and that's playing defensively as well, you need to allow access in and out of your part of the map so that your tanks can get through to their base and then retreat for repairs quickly if they get damaged, and then get straight back out again.

You can't use these like siege ladders because they don't go that far up, and you would need engineers to build them anyway so why not just demolish their walls?

They have only a defensive use, walls have some offensive uses because they can shield your forward structures and make them last longer and they can also be used as cover to flank the enemy or to simply gain ground, ramps don't add anything to those offensive uses of walls.

I'm all for developing the very interesting trench warfare mechanics we have where engineers drop walls so infantry can advance to them, but this doesn't do that, it doesn't do anything useful.

If the enemy has half a dozen engineers repairing a completely solid wall section you just get more of your engineers and outrepair them, demolishing a section and then killing them, or you chuck a grenade over the wall and blow them up. Wall turtling doesnt work, and half height ramps wouldn't make it work any less because you can't climb over things with a half height ramp.

2. John Example

John Example Member

You realise chris that you are the only one still complaining about ramps...Maybe its time to stop and acknowledge that no matter what you think.more people like it than you hate it (that have posted).So stop your whining please,you will only hinder the progress of a fun and useful tool in the game.to me ramps seems awesome.

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i dont like these ramps, i think the actual walls are the problem and bringing something new in isnt going to fix that

i would split walls in 2 types

-anti tank, stops tanks but lets infantry pass freely (think dragon teeth and stuff)

-anti infantry, blocks infantry and tank paths, but easy to destroy with a good tank or with some infantry granade firepower (current wall model but a little lower in profile)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  4. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

It's not whining, it's winning. Posting is all about convincing everyone they are idiots and you were right all along, right Chris? ;)

5. John Example

John Example Member

Oh ok sorry,I thought this was a serious mature forum.Not a "whine until people think the way you do" forum.I'll be on my way.

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

In the unfortunate event that everyone else is wrong I feel a sense of responsibility to argue in proportion to the amount of opposition.

7. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

If everyone else is wrong then your an idiot.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

or a visionaire

9. Tovarich Cookie

Tovarich Cookie Member

10. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Why we must discuss every feature to the bitter end.

I'm developing software for many years and when I'm not sure to put something in, then I just add a switch to disable it.

So just add a variable like emp_disable_ramps and we can easliy enable or disable them for several maps.

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

seems good

12. John Example

John Example Member