ModDB exclusive video footage?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Destroyer224, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

I was browsing through the ModDB top 100 award thing, and came across this on the front page:

Will we be doing anything about this? Like submitting demos of the clan matches and such?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  2. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

we need everyone that can to download fraps and just fraps loads and loads of footage.

we need loads and loads and loads of cool clips, then we string them together with a catchy soundstrack.

3. REX

REX Member

what do they mean by exclusive.... something new only for them...... do they want something special ?...... like a video of planes or something ?

Or do they mean videos of the winning teams in action.... as in the devs making the mod?

and are we sure this mod is going to win ?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  4. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Here's a good solution

www.wegame.com

You can record your ingame footage and upload directly to their site. Maybe with a good collection someone could put something nice together. The added support for Mods just today. They were really nice too. I asked them on IRC for Empires support and they added it like, right away. What a good group of guys! I want to get a video up right away as the first HL2 mod.

5. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

I just put that in the title to describe the thread. Its not like it has to be top-secret goodies or unimplemented features.

They want footage of "The best of the best in-action," which probably means the best clan/veteran/PUG games. The League matches could be a prime example of this.

UNBELIEVER! WE MUST HAVE HIM SILENCED!

Of course Empires is going to win at least one of the awards. It says, "winning mods" (Note that mods is plural) which should mean any mod that wins an award, and there is no way Empires will not get the multi-genre award at the very least, if not mod of the year.

6. REX

REX Member

Well ok maybe its just because im not a native english speaking person, but it just sounded to me like they might:confused: want something else.... especially with the "exclusive" that just sounded like something you would not already have seen in the trailer or something ?.

pleading and demanding exclusive video footage from all of the winning teams so you can sit back comfortably in your chair and watch the best of the best in-action.

And ofcourse Empires should win, but it just seemed crazy when I saw the 80000+ votes had been cast...... ofcourse that is spread out all over the place.... but still makes me consider if someone did pull of a trick.

I was considering a trip to my old school to take command over a few computer rooms instructing them on what to do. But I wondered if we might get disqualified if they saw multiple waves of 20+ people all registrering within 45min casting 1 vote for the same thing..... also that would be a bit unfair. But it makes me nerveous that some other people might have done something like that or worse:o .

7. Angry

Angry Junior Member

I think they need a better reason than that as to why those assholes should get exclusive videos.

8. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Yes, they e-mailed me about getting new video content for the awards ceremony thing. Where's Broccoli when you need him?

9. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

What about if we did a class advert like TF2 but serious?

10. Caelo

Caelo Member

11. Silk

Silk Mapper

When does it need to be ready?

Weren't some of the league people working on league match video's with commentary or something like that?

Also al the league match demo's are online. All of them have some awesome action in it. If someone could capture the best parts from all these matches, in a way that the strategy used is clear, i think you'd have a great exclusive video.

You could summarize 2 matches, for example jpl-bsid and jpl-cw (that way you show battles of a clan that has both won and lost a game). You could continuously change from one battle to the other. Boring parts can be skipped easily this way. All you need is someone explaining what is happening, like "Let's get back to slaughtered, as it seems that the NF has finally broken through the BE defense in the east, and will most likely end the game soon". Some nice vehicle kills and infantry action can be shown. In that battle when BE has regained their territory you could go back to the other battle and tell what has happened there in the meanwhile, as if the 2 battles are being fought at the same time.

I think that would be very nice to watch. You would see 2 totally different maps, 3 different clans (jpl, bsid and cw), very different tactics and strategies, and lots of nice kills, teamwork and determination.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  12. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I heard he was in Bournemouth, getting a degree :p

I'm more than willing to offer support and advice to anyone who wants to produce a video, but I just don't have the time to cook up anything myself.

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Tssk...well contrary to Silks opinion, I do not want anything to do with the league up there. I still feel Empires was made for more people and can only show it's true gameplay with a 30+ full server video. PUGs or testing or videos on our two large populated publics would work well.

14. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

I've got a nice script thought out, but it requires quite a few people, a lot of coordination and I'm not that great at editing videos.

A quick summarization:

This is all shot from the commander's perspective (I know not a true representation of Empires, but I think it could use some love and you can see how a battle plays out). A lot of things that would usually happen is cut out, there is no researching or base building (save for the things in the script) as these things are already done. This is to keep the pace of the script up.

The map is slaughtered, com is BE side. The com orders an engineer to guard the bridge. Plops down some walls and a turret. Not long after he arrives a couple of NF riflemen cross the water and he spots them. A firefight ensues. He requests anti-infantry support. A rifleman and a scout are ordered to help out. Together they beat back the assault. Insert taunts here.

Then the bridge gets built and a LT and an APC cross over and start fighting the engineer, scout, rifleman. They request ant-tank support. The commander builds a jeep (lol, fake) and orders a few grenadiers to enter it and drive to the bridge. They beat back the assault, but more light tanks keep coming.

The commander places some ML's, but they are taken out fairly fast because the engineer can't keep up supplying, building and healing (teammates are shouting for ammo, take cover, medic and other appropriate voice commands). They defenders request additional engineers. The commander orders an APC with a few engineers to the bridge. With the help they build up the defenses and the LT rush is beat back.

Then NF medium tanks (four or so) start rolling over the bridge with HE cannons and infantry support. The defenders pretty much get slaughtered and they punch through, slowly advancing to the main base. The com then orders medium tanks from main base and east base (6 total) to engage the tank column. A big pincer movement is executed and the battle is duked out. BE wins regaining the territory to the bridge. The medium tanks push on over the bridge to try and establish a foothold. They cross over and start fighting the defenders there.

Then the bridge is taken out! A few be meds plummet in the water and the others are stuck and eventually beaten.

Then heavies with artillery support start harassing the bridge and it's defenders. Be heavies and artillery units bolster the defense. Then you have a pan to the valley where's there's even more fighting going on with a constant stream of tanks and infantry. The screen fades and you have the slogan ("good commanders" wanted or something along those lines) with the empires logo.

Let me know what you think.

15. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Sounds wicked. I'll for sure help out. We can do this on the League server, as a lot of the community has admin access on that.

I'm also not very good at movie making, but I'm a great actor.

16. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I want in.

make a "join the Empires Video" thread, set a day sometime soon, and get it done. it will be like a PUG but for people that want to help empires

17. KILLX

KILLX Banned

honestly, to me, it seems like it would be better to take a clan match from the league use the demo files. would be much easier to make, and allows recording of any aspect of Empires. From the sounds of things, the script is just a remix of previous trailers, not really doing anything different, just using different scenes.

to me, it seems that, for an exclusive ModDB video, it would really be better to make something about 10 min long that just wasnt shown prior in Empires videos.

18. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

what about a sped up version of a game?

19. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

I'm going to go out and play some games and try to get good demos of real games, with real people. I had some AMAZING battles last week, and they would have made the perfect video. Action going on every single moment of the game, teams gaining and losing control of critical areas of the map, ect. Its too bad I didn't think to record them...

I don't think they want some big scripted battle. They probably want a full game of Empires, with both sides full of real players playing a real game.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  20. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

That would be the best, it's just pretty hard to transfer to film even with demo's.