Mod of the Year Awards

Discussion in 'News' started by Krenzo, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

the crowd dont want change

2. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Is it really? I thought that type of reinforcement structure has been done before.

I don't really mind what mod wins, just don't have insurgency winning under "innovative" and "original gameplay", because it's not. It could win on graphics, or playability or something similar, but it ain't new, just a remake of the classic idea.

3. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

Project Reality doesn't suck.

4. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I'm glad we got in the top 5, there was some GREAT footage of our mod in that bit they showed of us. I didn't really like that all the guy did was explain the general concept of the games instead of the realisation of how they play. an "Epic battles across hundreds of square kilometers of land" may well turn out to be "Wander around for hours without meeting a team mate or enemy, and when you do see an enemy enjoy a quick bit of circle straffing before a lucky headshot puts you back at square one". or those deathmatch mods that looked like it was fun and exciting for all 4 hours and 36 minutes of enjoyable playtime you got out of it before you figured it out and were bored of it.

so i didn't like that they didn't talk about how the mods actually played, but i guess that's what the editors choice is about.

Project reality did look quite cool (it's not an empires but I wouldn't say it sucked)

5. petemyster

petemyster Member

top 3 still good, though i don't think insurgency should have won. Why does everyone love it so much, it sucks....

6. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Project Reality looked so much like Operation Flashpoint for a while I thought it was a mod for OpFlash

7. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

Afaik, this is Insurgency's reinforcement system: Normal waves of reinforcement at normal flag cap locations. So far, very innovative.

What makes it even MORE innovative, apparently, is that squad leaders can 'reinforce' their team by jump starting the reinforcement command instantly as long as they themselves aren't dead. For lack of a better term, let's call that 'squad leader mass reinforce skill.' And the other innovation is that eventually one team runs out of reinforcements, which for lack of a better term, we'll just call 'tickets.' Afaik, that's how it works.

If this is the case, then yes, it's very innovative, I can't think of any other game that uses tickets and a squad leader mass revive powers- oh, wait.

If I didn't grasp the reinforcement system correctly, maybe that's because the screen tells you nothing at all about the game aside from how long till you spawn. Because realism, apparently, means making things an unintuitive pain in the ass.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  8. Avair

Avair Member

lobster you fail, fail...FAAAIL!

(im not going to write a paragraph explaining the ins reinforcement system to you)

9. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Any reinforcement that involves respawning on the map isnt exactly innovative. Now, what WOULD be innovative is if whenever you die, you respawn inside someone;s testicles, and anywhere from 9 months to a year later you are spawned as a baby, then you go through 20ish years of gameplay until you're ready to get back into the battlefield and reinforce. Of course, this is assuming the war isnt already over by then.

10. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

http://www.insmod.net/manual#reinforcements

"The way that Insurgency respawns players into the battlefield is with Reinforcement Waves. Reinforcement waves are a collection of spectating/dead players that pool together and respawn together after a given amount of time. Reinforcement waves are generated only when there is someone in the reinforcement pool."

[​IMG]

"The commander has the ability to call for an emergency deployment of a reinforcement wave if given that ability by Headquarters (map-specific)."

That sounds like tickets and squad rev to me. To bad empires isn't that innovative!

11. Avair

Avair Member

it's not.... I will make a diagram if you say that again

12. REX

REX Member

there you go I said it again for him :p

13. Kralnor

Kralnor Member

How the hell did this happen? 3rd? We all know insurgency has been trying to steal Empires' thunder for a while now.

Sometimes I think anonymous should take down ModDB.

14. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

when is the editors section coming out?

15. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

What´s even more a shame is that they showed an old 2.0-Trailer, that was from RC20-30 I believe.

16. Goose

Goose Member

We won't win anything from the editors choice. Weren't they the ones who Emo quit after they didn't want to read the manual and play, the proceeded to write a bad review?

I am not sure what I am more mad about the fact empires lost, or the fact insurgency beat project reality. I have played insurgency quite a lot and I am not s ure if the game play just sucks in my opinion or how big of flip-flopper the developers are. They wanted a super realistic system of like 1 shot kills, now you can spray a clip of AK bullets in them and they will only be down to 1/2 health. In all honesty, Empires is the more original and fun game. Graphics go to Insurgency. If I honestly wanted somewhat good graphics, I would spend my money on a commercial FPS shooter (it's not like they don't release those ever 3 moths) that actually isn't riddled with bugs or poor game play.

17. Chahk

Chahk Member

Reinforcement waves... Hasn't that been done by Dystopia? Remember how "innovative" that mod was last year?

18. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

DoD uses it, and so does CS. (in a way)

19. arklansman

arklansman Member

That guy isn't an editor anymore. :)

20. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

The reason there was an old trailer was because no one made a new one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.