Mini-stat tracking server list thing

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Sheepe, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Yeah, I suck at titles.
    Anyways, I was thinking that, for those of us who crash often or have a piss poor wifi connection, a list could be implemented server side that kept track of stats for 30 minutes for each Steam ID for each map (it'd reset after a map change). This way it wouldn't be so damn frustrating when my internet drops out after I get 40 or so points and then have to work my way back up...

-Sheepe

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yup, woud pwn

maybe record as long as the game lasts?

3. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

The question is, how would the server handle that data? Would if it have to compare steam IDs every time a player joined with the list of players, look at their stats, correct them, and then also the server would have to save every kill and promotion given out. I don't know much about all that works, so it could either be nothing or add a noticable amount of lag..

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

prolly just keep a txt file from evryone in the server, and loads it up from the moment you are joining

5. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Yes, but don't you think writing, storing, loading up, and checking against 10-15 text files might make things a bit slower? It's not that it's just checking a text file, but that it has to communicate that to the client's computer, and back, so that the client recieves the data and his skills are updated client-side.

6. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

only skill points need to be saved. mabey even just rank, rounds down to nearest 10 if it would speed things up.