Mini-PUG-Wednesday #3!

Discussion in 'General' started by Reznov, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Reznov

Reznov Member

2. Reznov

Reznov Member

Thanks for everyone who participiated in the EURO event! I am glad we managed to get rounds with an avg. match-up of atleast 8v8 in and I hope everyone had fun playing Empires today.
    Also huge thanks to Vicki and Doc for their help again, as always it was much appreciated.

I even managed to record all 6 hours of the entire event in my FOV. Here is a link if anyone is interested.

By the way, if someones not in the "Let's revive Empires" group yet, contact me over steam and I will invite you.

3. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

American event crashed and burned. I was only active admin and I was able to set streets and snowbound up right... problem is when snowbound loaded almost nobody was able to join with the good old 'missing map' issue.

Señor_Awesome: looks like a bunch of people aren't able to load the map
    Señor_Awesome: including me
    ๖ۣۜGuns and Wham-Ō: WORKS FINE HERE
    Señor_Awesome: I see that
    ๖ۣۜGuns and Wham-Ō: It's a classic map
    Señor_Awesome: thanks
    Señor_Awesome: I'm familiar with the map
    ๖ۣۜGuns and Wham-Ō: one of the best
    Señor_Awesome: problem is nobody can load it
    Señor_Awesome: so
    Señor_Awesome: there ya go
    ๖ۣۜGuns and Wham-Ō: delete your map file and try again
    Señor_Awesome: me and naokip just tried
    Señor_Awesome: this kills the pug

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I had the same issue with Deathkiller's map the other day.

5. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Worth noting here then that I had the same issue the first time I tried to join deathkiller's (maybe a week ago), but just yesterday was able to join just fine.

Euro also played snowbound earlier in the day without this issue, so its probably safe to say something is up.

6. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I have no idea why a map would load one time but not the next time. and why it would load for some and not for others.
    Anyone have any ideas?

Rez another great job! Server was populated all day into the night.
    Euro Pug was fun and USA PUG had a good turnout until snowbound which was about 10 pm Eastern, some did come back and are still playing.

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I think it's server related - some files would not download properly from the pug server Or somerhing.

8. Reznov

Reznov Member

emp_deathkillers_trialmap_v1 is not completely fixed yet and still has some issues but it does work currently.
    Problem is the minimap is not included in the current working version, so we had to resort to 2 steps in the EURO pug.

1. Join the pub VIPER server, which was currently running "emp_deathkillers_trialmap_v1", to download all important files.
    2. Join the VIPER PUG server, which was set to "emp_Deathkillers_Trialmap_v1", to play the map.

Downloading the map shouldn't have been a problem, we had new players being able to play it, maybe someone made a typo using the /map command?

EDIT:

Oh and also, emp_snowbound_1_F only loads correctly if you have the F in upper case. If you change the map to emp_snowbound_1_f, the server won't be able to provide the map.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  9. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I believe snowbound was changed my the mapcycle as it did for Euros PUG not by an admin. but I will check the admin logs

10. complete_

complete_ lamer

can you dicks give more than a days heads up?

maybe snowbound didnt work because the files didnt come from me and instead from some guy that didnt fix it (i messaged lawliet a week ago but he never answered)

11. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Nope, was changed by me. Also I used lower case f because I just went by what was on the event page - so there you have it.

Seems bloody stupid if you ask me, though.

12. D.D.D. Destroyer

The events are pretty regular, and the files were all good once they were downloaded.

13. complete_

complete_ lamer

saturdays was cancelled and the sunday one was kicked off the server it was hosted on (was later posted that it was on epic the day of)

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

I meant the minipugs, but I can see why you would be unsure.

15. Reznov

Reznov Member

@Senor: I agree on this case-sensitive map naming being bullshit, but that is how HL2 works. Sorry about the discussion-page showing the wrong map name, I will try to make sure that they match-up with the map names in-game.

@complete: Snowbound is fully functional, atleast the 1_F version is. Also I couldn't manage to create events and discussions mentioning Mini-PUG-Wednesday #3 earlier due to me having things to do on monday and tuesday.

16. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Yeah I know that's how it works, I just find it frustrating that I could change to lowercase f snowbound when uppercase F is the only working one.

Ah well. We had good game(s), and server was likely to die after that game of streets anyways.

17. 101010

101010 Member

Again can we just get workshop working for Empires???
    That would be an easy fix for missing maps.
    Just add all maps on the server to a collection. Then Every one could add the collection. New maps added = auto download when you start Empires. No more missing map issue and no more waiting 10 mins to download.

18. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

thanks for the clarification senor, good to know what happened.

19. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Is the web server for viper's fastdl a *nix server? (would would be likely if it is on a separate web hosting service)
    If so, then the file system in *nix land is case sensitive.
    That also would explain why the server would load the map ok (as windows uses NTFS in case-insensitive mode), but the fastdl wouldn't find the map to provide it to the clients.
    Also *nix = linux/unix

Nothing to do with HL2, it's entirely down to whether the OS's file system is case sensitive or not as I explained above.

TLDR: viper fastdl webhosting is probably on linux which uses case sensitive file system where as the empires server is on windows which uses a case insensitive file system.
    This explains why the server would load the map ok but the fastdl web server wouldn't find the map to provide it to the clients.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  20. D.D.D. Destroyer

It is indeed case-sensitive. There are issues with nuclear's .res file because of it too.

But I think Doc fixed those.