Mines don't set off mines

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Lazydog, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Lazydog

Lazydog Member

Simple idea:

Don't let nearby mines set off other mines.

Pros:
    -Minefields are more deadly (a single infantry can't just jump on one mine to clear out a whole field via chain reaction)
    -Mines can cover more ground (as opposite to fear of putting them too close so that when one explodes the whole field is gone doing minimum damage to the unit that stepped on it)

Cons:
    -No more chain reactions (although this strategy hasn't really been used much since nine-mining got removed)

2. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

The problem is that you can make a dense patch of mines that will remain there after several detonations. I mean that minefields will last longer and be more deadly.

3. Morcam

Morcam Member

Yeah, if you could do this you could just set up a bunch of mines on top of each other in a doorway on an inf. only map. Instadeath, that lasts for a long, long time. Or, you could set up a huge minefield in a pass in a tiny space. It instakills everything, and doesn't go away after one shot.

Now that I think about it, it would be nice if mines had a "circle of detonation" (like a little green circle) around them that could only be seen by the placer. That way, you could tell when you're placing them too close together, which should help fix your problem.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  4. OuNin

OuNin Member

Yeah, the game needs more visual cues. Been wanting stuff like this for a while.

5. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

detonation area would be nice. however, I can still see a tank with alot of armor bouncing up and down on a bunch of tightly packed mines for about 10 seconds if this happens.

6. Demented

Demented Member

Why is that a problem?

7. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

If anything, mine fields are not deadly enough, the only mine kills that you seem to get in empires are from sneakily placed ones that kill people who think they are being sneaky themselves. well, also the mines that are placed in such absurd places, that you don't even look out for them.

8. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

right now, we need chain reactions because tanks are so darn tough, it takes all your mines just to kill a heavy tank. If this suggestion were to be implemented, it would make it harder to get tanks kills because the only way to kill tanks with mines now is to stack them.

I'd like it so that when you touch a mine, theres a 1 second times before it goes off, allowing tanks to activate as many mines as possible, then have them all blow up killing the tank. Also it'll be cool if mines didn't blow up until you too your foot off them. Then you can pull what Carl did in 24:redemption.

9. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

That effectively makes super lights immune to landmines. By the time one second elapses, they are already a good 15 meters from the landmines. So that would be a bad idea.

10. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

then how about making it go off as soon as they get off the mine?

11. Axeman

Axeman Member

Perhaps make it as soon as you touch a mine it goes off, but when in the proximity of other mines it has a 1 second delay like said before, but the mine should cause a slight slowdown so you don't have jeeps and super lights buzzing by.

12. Lazydog

Lazydog Member

ok, I always thought that mines that are stacked will still go off together because the tank/infantry ran over all of them, so you can still kill tanks that way.

I'm talking more about the people that spread out their minefields where stepping on them sets them all off. Right now there's nothing much to do with mines except stack them, because anything else would not maximize the damage. The problem with that is that they can only cover a very small area. Also if some newbie place a single mine away from your cluster and the tank happens to run over his single mine, well your mine stack is gone.

In this ways mines can cover more ground without worry "oh crap, I put that one too close and it's going to set everything off"

you can still stack mines for maximum damage (and the delay is a nice addendum to my suggestion to make it work), however some people might want to place mines in different configurations (i.e more sparsely clustered to be used as a deter against infantry.) also mines can be used as more effective tank traps. if you set all your mines in a line at a chokepoint with more density on the sides rather than the middle, any tank that rush in will get in fine, but any tank that retreat would most likely be damaged. they have to run through the exactly chokepoint they entered, else your mines might take out an exposed side:

mine initial setup:
    |** * * * * **|

mine setup after a tank runs through:
    |* * * **|

an enemy tank just created a small gap where it can just fit. if it's retreating, it's usually going to have it's weakest armor away from you. possibly it's side armor is gone too. trying to retreat back would be hell, as hitting any mines would practically be death and in the heat of the battle, it isn't going to retreat the exact same way.

just an idea that isn't quite possible in the current setup (the whole line would just explode when the tank first enter)

13. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

In my opinion this is good suggestion.

This would...

a) Make mine fields more useful when the whole damn 10 acre field won't detonate because one mine detonated. Hence making them more useful.

b) Grenadiers are needed more to defuse the mines at chokepoints, suchs as doorways while other team members cover them. Hence making grenadiers more useful.

c) Defusal driving has more sense now, it isn't there any more to get pass one or two mine stacks or one tricker mine for a whole minefield. Now it doesn't matter where the mines are because they all are useful and equally deadly because they can't set each other off and clear the whole minefield just like that and cause minimal damage to an enemy tank. Also if one tank drives in the minefield without defusal and backs up, the minefield's remaining mines can still damage other enemy vehicles which are also as careless.

d) If mines are stacked they still are as deadly as they are now because all mines at the same place see the same tank identically at the same split second hence they all detonate at the same time causing big tank flipping damages.

I like this idea.

This makes sense, doesn't cause massive balance issues and is pretty simple yet it works.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  14. Bass

Bass Member

I object. I love 8mining barracks and VFs.

Don't steal my FUN (<<<<KEYWORD) in the game.

15. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Meh. Just stack your mines in one place and hope someone steps on them. Problem solved, nothing taken out.