Micro UAV for scout

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Trid3nt, May 31, 2008.

1. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

There are two possibilities for this idea, so I'll discuss them both separately.

First off, I'll explain the uses.

The UAV would be used to spy on enemy defences, and get intel on the enemy forces, without endangering the scout. There would also be a camera fixed to the UAV, which would allow the scout to select targets much as the Binoculars do, as well as highlighting anything in a certain radius of it (Think like it's a radar and camera combined). This would give scouts an ability to direct Artillery directly creating a proper team link, that has never really been possible, as the Scout, at the expense of becoming vulnerable, would be able to view through the camera. The UAV would have a limited lifetime, but the ways of re-using would be different.

1 - The "Proper" Micro UAV

This would be carried by the scout, and deployed should a situation occur that he needs it. It would be pilotable, and would have a limited battery life, and the scout would only use one. It would also be vulnerable to small arms fire, as well as rocket turrets

2 - Flare Camera

The Scout would have a flare-gun style pistol, and the player would shoot the camera into the air, where a parachute would deploy, and it would float down to earth, albeit slowly. There would be more than one camera, but it would not be manoeuvrable. It would only be vulnerable to sniper fire due to its extremely small size

Pros/Cons to be discussed and drawn up

2. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

I'd like this to be a only available after some team work. A scout places his unbuilt and undeployed UAV. Then a engy would have to build it, when its build the scout can finally use it. But the UAV has to be refilled with fuel after some time. The scout drives the UAV too a engy and he refills it, by repairing it.

3. Mr.Bungles

Mr.Bungles Member

i like this idea, it would actually add a purpose to the scout.

4. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

The UAV could give the scout acces to a secondary commander mode, as in when the scout controls the UAV, it will be just like the commander mode with an interface (the world model could still be visible and destroyable)

Thats something i'd like to see personally, but havent worked out how he could use it and how fog of war should be dealt with etc.

5. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

Sounds good to me. In dystopia the rocket launcher secondary fire brings up a little screen on the rocket launcher up to your "face" and you use Fly by wire to control the rocket. I think that would be a cool way to do it with the micro UAV style thing.

And with the flare gun, it would be a cool option as a secondary pistol for the scout (you lose your regular pistol for this one)

6. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Does a camera affect FoW? Because I would think it could act like a camera/radar.

And the major situations I was thinking of would be things like in slaughtered, where you can't see where the enemy might be, as well as things like the ruins in Duststorm.

This sounds good, but it would require a lot of dependency, and I imagine that you might get scouts running round asking for engies to build/repair their UAVs. There should be some penalty for losing them, or some incentive not to waste them. Potentially, resources could be used for this, but I don't imagine a player who is using it would give two hoots about that. There could be the necessity of going to an armoury and reloading.

What could be a good idea, would be deploying the UAV would require a fair amount of time, i.e construction, and an engy could help build it (and reduce the build time) for a point or something. The scout could then use the UAV, and could refuel it by ammo crates.

Potential problems:

Griefing - annoying other players (Kind of a moot point, but there we go)
    Might make arty too effective
    waste of time

7. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Well atm, it doesn't feel good. I don't think it can get much worse.

8. Dragoon

Dragoon Member

Does you know if you search for "UAV" in the Suggestion Forum exclusively it gives you 9 Threats as findings?

9. Vaun

Vaun Member

Ya, this comes up a lot, but this one is pretty good. Instead of an engy building it, it would be either an rc helicopter or rc car like thing that snaps together in a second, like in that one game, Frontline or something.

10. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Guys, please use the search function... UAVs have been discussed before. After pages and pages of discussion, they were thrown out... I like the flare gun camera idea though...

11. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Okay, once it came up specifically, Recon's idea was a larger UAV drone, more like an aircraft than anything else. This idea mainly came from the flare camera. Also, the idea that you had was non-specific, this is not only specific to the scout, but it also gives him a real 'scouting' ability.

The second time it came up properly in this context was as a squad leader option, which people seemed to like, but it was kinda phased out of the convosation.

12. Vaun

Vaun Member

An option to put special weapons on vehicles would be cool, but the drone weapon would be louder and a bit larger.

The infantry uav is like a manhack in size, the vehicular 1 is about as big as a scanner.

13. arklansman

arklansman Member

Curse you and your foul words DonMegel. Curse you.

14. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Okay, time to draw up pros and cons

Pros

Gives a purpose to the scout
    Adds a tactical edge to the game

Cons

Obvious work involved
    May be unbalanced
    May waste time for new players simply scouting for enemies

15. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

This is called wire-guiding. Fly-by-Wire is something different. Just wanted to point that out.

16. Demented

Demented Member

Just to be nit-picky, the Dystopia rocket is laser-guided, and its internal systems are probably fly-by-wire (or more likely, fly-by-magic).

17. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Wow, if the search function is threatening you when you try to search for UAV, something must be horribly, horribly wrong.

18. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

If you search for "add Mechs to Empires", a hand comes out of your DVD drive and gives you a wedgie.

19. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Concept Idea, only made quickly, and I'm no proper modeller
    [​IMG]

20. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Member

How about a remote controlled sort of micro UAV, except the downside if that it can be destroyed and the scout will be vulnerable... If the scout controlling the machine is killed, the micro UAV will crash and burn.

How about replacing your Grenade slot to use the UAV... But the question is in for how many UAV until it's not necessary.

EDIT: I remembered the Remote controlled rockets in metal gear solid 1... Maybe it can be a possible weapon.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008