Melee Combat

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Pimp Recruit (formerly Don Music), Mar 13, 2007.

1. Pimp Recruit (formerly Don Music)

Pimp Recruit (formerly Don Music) Member

So.. http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=1610&page=79 got me thinking about melee combat.

First off, I'm trying to be reasonable, no swords and magics...
    I'm trying to work out some flaws of the current system.
    Read this completely, I don't want to bitch at you for not reading later.

Currently, the only melee capable weapons are SMGs and pistols.
    Damage is around 30-60 if I remember correctly.

---
    Now to the things that I think should be corrected:

Even a low level of Martial Arts / hand-to-hand prowess is more effective than hitting with a SMG, pistol would be more usefull but still...
    I'm talking of KILLING, not hurting someone "ouch my knee" style.
    Your better off choking your enemy...

There should be some kind of automatic blocking while not shooting and facing the aggressor (damage reduction would suffice).
    It's pretty easy to block a slap from a pistol or SMG with little discomfort.. or even disarming the enemy.. when facing him.

To really hurt someone, one has to hit with the grip .. making fast firing/melee switching impossible with SMGs, everything else is a nusiance at best (NF SMG3 exception).

A Rifleman, for example, can only melee with his pistol while the rifle might make for more effective hitting and blocking.

An armored soldier isn't exactly easyly beaten to death with a SMG or pistol.
    Cause some pain .. but oh my, watch the tears!

---
    So.. I think what should be done is:

Only the Scout and Engineer should recieve significant Pistol/SMG (blunt) slap damage.

Less damage while facing the enemy (blocking).

Give the rifleman and scout a knife.
    It would give them an effective melee weapon,
    same damage on everyone, since it can ignore armor.

It would be the only melee weapon capable of two hit kills (NF SMG3 exception).

The Scout could have a 1-hit kill "sneak-attack". ;)
    If the scout is in such a good position he could kill the enemy easily with other weapons, anyways!
    "Sneak-attack" could result in a "silent" kill as a bonus and could also need a skill (or be integrated into hide or weapon silence).

---
    The overall outcome would be:

Engineer -> Can only seriously damage Engineers and Scouts, but will most likely loose against a Scout.

Scout -> Can melee everyone, could have sneak-attack for more damage while hidden and close.

Rifleman -> Well armored and can melee everyone, only the scout is a real thread.

Grenadier -> Armored. Can only be effectively meleed by Rifleman and Scout, but can only reasonably hurt Engineers and Scouts hisself.

---
    Comments?

I don't want to hear "ZOMG Scout melee AWP!!!" ...
    if the scout manages to get into position to melee you while hidden outside of your FoV then he could have shot you in the head some time ago...

And no anti-knife propaganda... you just continue slapping your SMG against that Riflemans helmet until it breaks.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  2. arklansman

arklansman Member

:D

One good suggestion would be different melee damages for different weapons. (SMG3 and it's beastly bayonet)

3. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

i've been in melee fights that was basicaly me and the enemey running in circles for like 5 minutes not hitting anything

the melee needs alot of work in this mod

4. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

I agree that the melee needs alot of work. The blocking system seems a little superfluous, however. I could live without it. I do think melee should do a lot more damage--not because it makes sense in story terms (who cares it the rifle barrel magically kills in one hit? not me.) but in gameplay terms, melee is useless, unless I'm looking for a challenge.

Also, dubee, get back on the server. Right now!

Also also, I was referring to Bears, as in mammals, not BE ARs as in noob cannons.

5. KILLX

KILLX Banned

A strike to the back should be instant kill. Snap teh neckz! And give the scout a knife for stabbing in the back, or throat slitting. A special hit box on the throat that only t scout knife affects. when hit they die.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  6. arklansman

arklansman Member

FUCK NO!

7. KILLX

KILLX Banned

I just mean in the sense of the back cracking. A melee to the spine should be death.

8. arklansman

arklansman Member

I know. :P

I don't think it would be very easy to break someone's back like that though. :rolleyes:
    But if you were to hit someone in the head from behind... ;) (wouldn't even have to be in the head, for gameplay purposes)

9. The Buttery Lobster

I think you should have a "poke" melee attack, where you jab them in the eyes with your first two fingers, three stooges style. Woopwoopwoopwoopwoop!

Or, failing that, I think all the fancy melee options are extras, right now. First thing first- make melee do more damage in combat, overall.

10. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

Its a cold day in hell when you'd rather hit someone with the butt of your rifle than spray them with 6 armor pericing shells. Current generation of weapons dont have bayonets for a reason. When you have no silenced weapon avaliable and want to take out someone without drawing attention, grab that knife. Stabbing someone in the back is better than someone slapping you with a rifle for a one hit KO to represent you choking him?

11. The Buttery Lobster

I know it makes no sense in terms of realism, but I think the gameplay would benefit if the melee was more effective at killing then the regular weapon. With big maps like we have, it wouldn't throw the game out of "whack" (pun intended) to any extreme, and... well... it'd be fun, is all. I mean... it's not like the artillery is realistic right now, either... you could modify the means of killing in any particular fashion.

I like Don Music's ideas, but they're kind of complicated. Just increasing melee damage would be fine with me, without all the extra stuff.

12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

13. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

I think Pila would be best, and energy shields. In fact, screw all guns and make this Imperium.

14. Pimp Recruit (formerly Don Music)

Just increasing damage would be impractical, imo.
    Rifleman instagibbed by an Engineer in Melee? thx!

I don't even bother the realism part much (realism =/= reality .. anyways).
    At the moment Engineer is the best "melee class" in some respects...
    should be the worst, imo.

And my suggested changes aren't really complicated (i'll say :p)

Scout and Engineer recieve full blunt-damage. Rifleman and Grenadier do not.
    Scout and Rifleman get an effective knife.
    Rifleman: 2-hit-kills; Scout: 1 hit-kill when undetected.

I scrapped the blocking part since with my current suggested changes it wouldn't be usefull anyways.

No weapon would loose it's kill ability, but pistol-whipping a Grenadier or Rifleman wouldn't be really effective.
    The singular only weakpoint is long melee combat between Grenadiers .. SIGH!

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

the bayonette for the SMG3 is still a cool addition and i think it should kill instantly. whenever are you going to get that close to a rifleman?

16. arklansman

arklansman Member

When you come up behind him. ;)

17. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

why is that even neccessary though.

18. Pimp Recruit (formerly Don Music)

Because otherwise he'll shoot you in the face?

19. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

oops, i missread what he was saying as "insta kill in back only."

but yeah. i'm silly.