Mechanical Engineering weapon

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Wertbarg, May 20, 2009.

1. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

Currently, the only tree without weapons is the Mechanical engineering tree. I have a fun solution for this.

High Impact Projectiles.
    High Impact gun: a MG weapon with both a two slot and a three slot version for APCs. This weapon has a slow firing speed (perhaps one shot every 3 seconds) and deals 50 damage per shot. However, if hit in just the right spot, it could send a Jeep bouncing away head-over-heels or send a light tank spinning 1.5 rotations.

High Impact Cannon: A three slot cannon with a long reload time of six seconds that deals 200 damage to the target, its projectile behavior would be much like the rail. One impact could put an artillery tank into a full back flip if you shot it from a significantly lower elevation.

Compressed Canister Missile The CCM is a propelled canister of a gas under extremely high pressure. upon impact, the canister pops, resulting in a massive burst of gas, sending those effected flying with the force of 12 landmines at the center. the three slot CCM would fire once every 3 seconds with a clip size of 4 with 2 spare clips that take 10 seconds to reload. This missile would effect everything within the impact zone the size of a barracks, dealing 50 damage to infantry and 120 damage to vehicles.

Pros::cool:
    Gives all trees weapons
    takes advantage of the physics engine, adding a whole new level of awsome.
    Gives a variety to late game weapons, aside from rails and nukes.
    Gives a 3 slot ML that is not considered a game ender.
    Geography can be used as a weapon (rocks for trapping tanks and cliffs for destroying them)

Cons::(
    Could be used to exploit maps, much like 9 mine was.
    Could be used to grief teammates , somewhat like 9 mine was.

Alternatives: :confused:
    Include a two slot High Impact Cannon with a faster firing rate, but with less impact.
    Include a two slot CCM that is scaled down and a reduced force of 4 mines.

2. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

The reason mech engineering doesn't have weapons is because it carries all of the weapons platforms.

Also, High impact weapons DO NOT WORK. As amusing as BE heavies flipping enemy tanks or making them roll on 1 set of tracks is, it doesn't add anything t the gameplay. Any cannon that can knock the vehicle off coarse by hitting it is lame and exploitable.

Overall, Mech Engineering + weapons = no.

3. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

Biological weapons don't add anything to game play either (not saying they are worthless, they are actually quite nice)

EDIT: when you say exploitable, what do you mean? do you mean it could be used in such a way to disable enemy vehicles, making them angry? or do you mean that it could be used in some way that would destroy many aspects of the game? such as a synchronized shot by one team to launch their own commander on top of a building on Cyclopian?

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  4. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

That is almost exactly what I mean. Trust me, I've played games with "altered" weapons scripts, which give weapons a high impact power. If it's enough to flip an arty tank at all, with the BE heavy, it'll send coms flying around the map.

Bio weapons are for a very guerilla type of gameplay, where you drive a tank up, shoot bio spam, and withdraw while your armor heals and your bio slowly kills everyone at the front. Having the option to run that sort of game plan adds quite a bit to gameplay. Having a gun that can alter the coarse of the vehicle will just create bridge campers on maps with bridges over dangerous spots, like Mvalley for example, or slaughtered.

Just trust me when I say it's great for lols, but in actual games, it's rather annoying.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  5. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

I just feel that there needs to be more aspects of the game that take advantage of the physics engine other than grenades and landmines.

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

is it possible to give a large kick to a vehicle without damaging it a lot?

cannonball missile/cannon

slams in with heavy force :3

7. Demented

Demented Member

The mechanical engineering weapon is artillery.
    The chassis is just a bonus.

8. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Try alterned Empires by Weedy.

9. Thristhart

Thristhart Member

So any class would have the awesome destructive power of a very skilled grenadier, multiple times within the same spawn, without picking up ammo?

two words: long-range tankjoust

10. Drag

Drag Member

no, just... no

11. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Cyberkun had a "Kinetic Cannon" that we tried out once.

Was fucking hullarious. Didn't kill enemies, jsut flipped their tanks >_>

12. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

that KE cannon is awesome

and he has it well balanced, it doesnt flip vehicles, and man is it fun

this idea is wicked, cept fpr the missile thing, thats OP

13. Alceister

Alceister Member

I've had enough trouble dealing with the Morningstar from Freespace 2.

Not to mention some fun too: Made two uber versions with push and pull qualities as well.

But otherwise no.

Pushing and pulling will be griefed to the max. We're going to have APCs and tanks running up to the enemy comm and pushing him around silly.

14. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

So, how much should the missile's push force be lowered in order to keep it as powerful as a three slot missile, but not OP?

15. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

sounds really fun to me.