maps too plain?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by AnRK, Jul 3, 2006.

1. AnRK

AnRK Member

is it just me or are most of the maps a little dull? i mean no offence to the people that created them they are very good maps as far as layout and all the major features, but they seem to be lacking alot of trees, rocks misc. buildings etc and it makes it a bit difficult as far as infantry combat is concerned it seems and everything ends up in open field battles (aside from CTF maps of course)

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Me Not Like Comment

Me Crush Comment

3. Doobie

Doobie Ancient Tester

haha nice.

Well this is one problem that we are all facing with the source engine. The map will never be as detailed as CS or HL2DM maps due to the needed size and scale we need for a full scale map. We are always trying to improve the maps, and community input is always welcome.

4. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

The way I see it. You build the scenery yourself :)

5. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

As much as I hate to admit it, there was an Empires review (search the General section of the forums, it was some british gaming magazine) that said exactly that-- the maps are bland. Of course, I say you're missing alot of the gameplay and subtlety in each map (and in my day we didn't need graphics!) but sadly, the article had a point. mvalley is a good start for a map-- the radio tower gives the map a unique structure with individuality and flair. Slaughtered also steps in the right direction with the big-ass constructable towers. Earlier maps, not so much. Given time, I'm sure the community will be able to counter this complaint.

6. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Id have to disagree on that.

How much 'detail' did a cnc map have, or a starcraft map, or whatever rts.

When I got in command mode, and i was cruising around Isle, it was just amazing, it has this great RTS feel to it and completly 3d with little fps units walking around being their gay liuttle selves

I love the earlier maps, and tbh altho mvalley is fucking kickass, I still love the earlier maps a lot more and not just because I played them a zillion times

When something gets too detailed on maps like this, fighting gets a pain in the ass, a heavy tank with nukes is running around a scout who keeps hiding in a house and stuff like that. It shouldnt be like this, ofcourse infantry should be able to hide but to what extent.

edit: not saying they couldnt be better (I wouldnt know because I havent seen it yet) but I think they are very good to play on

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  7. AnRK

AnRK Member

yeah you have a point about the RTS thing, but the infantry combats a bit more complex then 2 groups of men running suicidally toward each other

i completely forgot the lag and system requirements element so apologys for that

i think though infantry should be a pain in armours arse being able to hide and giving them a hard time trying to kill off their attackers. im fairly sure thats the only chance they would have in a real war although you do have a point if its a nuke tank trying to blast through a half foot concrete wall :P

as for dees idea, maybe there should be some sort of forester class? hmmmmm

8. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

Ranger-- dual wields pistols, has hide, and has an animal companion.

(Not serious; d&d reference for all you people who are not huge nerds)

9. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

HA HA. :D

God, I'm a geek.

10. Wizzy

Wizzy Member

IMO the maps are fine, but I'm just saying that because I don't expect much from non professional game designers.

11. Dirca

Dirca Member

I like the maps, open spaces are good for snipers, engineers, grenadiers, vehicles and for the commander. As far as infantry combat is concerned, just get an engineer to tag along then you can get some walls whenever you need (you also get free health recharges and ammo crates as a bonus :cool: )

Hehe, Dirca = full time engineer :D

12. Carrigage

Carrigage Member

in FPS games, (especially WW2 FPS games), I like it when there's lots of detailed areas, such as structures, bushes, ridges, cliffs, trenches, fences and whatnot.

Places where infantry is the best option.. Like a road going through a city, the tank would be a great asset, but the infantry is required to take over the area.

A great comparison is Operation Flashpoint, it had cities, and forests, aswell as large bland areas. So tanks would fight eachother outside the cities, the planes would bombard the cities as infantry battle in close combat.

Yeah.. great times...

13. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

This is an RTS first THEN and FPS as I see it... Need cover? radio your comm to drop in some walls and an armory...

Need tank stoppoers? Radio the comm to get creative with walls... wammo tank stoppers and infatry cover...

The way this can be spiced up is make the insides of buidlings more important some how... Anything from holes to shoot out of to something like a command console in C&C Renegade...

14. Jn.

Jn. Member

*slap*

15. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

*Drags out a HUGE smelly tuna fish and hands it over to Jn.*

Do it...

16. Jn.

Jn. Member

Thank you brother. *Does duty like there was no tomorrow..............................Looms over limp body* I hope you like tunafish, boi.

17. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

LMFO, That boy ate that tuna fish, and he wasn't even starving.

I haven't gotten a chance to play any maps (or 1.04 - .06), but i was thinking about attempting a forest map when i get back to canada. Maybe a forest valley, with the teams on the hills fighting for the highway below or something. All the res would be in the forest and only accessible on foot, while the open areas would be a tank battle ground

I really like the idea of cover for infantry. From an FPS perspective, the maps are in many ways plain, but so is the real world. I have no problem in understanding the battlefields as ones that would occur in the real world.

18. dizzyone

im not sure which maps you guys are refering to

lets take isle for instance, lots of rocks, trees, higher and lower levels to hide.

Canyone, has craters and trees and rocks, ok so it needs some walls, but those are built by the commander

crossroads? Obviously this map is fully detailed

Duststorm, has some big open areas, but also lots of hills where infantry can hide from tanks, bit openish but the hills definitly make up for that

I really dont see the problem here.

It could use some more bushes maybe and grass ect like that mp novalogic game, but thats moar like jungle stalemate wars

19. Blitz

Blitz Member

i can see both sides of the arguments

i agree that the open areas should be kept clean and simple after all if cover is needed ask the comm for a wall

but when thier are buildings a little extra detail would be cool. like in crossroads you could dress up the middle area to look like a check point with a few moniters, lockers proper doors and CCTV cams rather then looking like a TFC map

i think the best example of a happy mediem was a custom map called railroad(s) i think, its a snow map and its quite small but very nice looking

20. dizzyone

true

btw i was refering to cover for infantry, I just think the bigger open areas should remain, the craters were a great idea to fix this, open areas and still some tricky cover.

I hope you guys agree on me that there should still be some open areas