Map Spotlight: emp_mvalley

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by [lodw]keef, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

Having the dam as a place to park you CV opens a lot of possibility for a comeback. Currently, the top three ways of losing are nuke rush, arty rush or some combination of both. If you can get your CV in the dam, you get one last chance to win.

Pros:
    2x res node allows for a comeback.
    Any sort of comeback will take a good amount of teamwork.
    You are focusing all of your forces on defending your com with infantry, taking tanks out of the equation for both teams.
    Adds the element of "keep the enemy com from makeing it into the dam" instead of a find and kill them.

Cons:
    No place for a rax, you have to rely on revives.
    Once you are in the dam, you cant get back out, and the enemy knows this, so you have to keep a good force actively defending.
    May drag the games out.

If the dam is going to be used as a safe area, a CV parking zone needs to be marked out that is out of the blast radius of nukes.

2. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

The dam isn't big enough for that...the nukes hit pretty damn far mate.

3. Empty

Empty Member

MValley needs a mostly visual overhaul, the textures water and lighting are fairly bland and need updating.
    The north needs to be nerfed, my thoughts are to remove the area up the top where raxes can be placed and make it a single refinery.
    The side refineries should be buffed to 1.5x each, and the dam needs some more structure to fight in ( a few corridors etc. )

4. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

you realize ONLY be CV can fit in there right? thats why were going to make it so that no CVs can get through, to make it balanced between the teams.

also wow empty has posted again, and to answer your question I plan on adding more cover and what not to the dam area, just havnt gotten to it yet cause quite honestly guys im remaking mvalley from scratch atm, remade the terrain the other night and now im in the process of duplicating everything else in the map(which isnt much actually, specially when im allready remaking the dam).

the vmf for mvalley is kinda fucked, been worked on too long or some such. its easier to make it from scratch then to try to fight the current one.

5. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

What're your plans for the /top/ of the dam?

6. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

why buff the side refinaries? it would draw too much focus away from the dam and north.

I totally agree that the dam should be able to contain CVs, we've all had some excellent games occour where we just alamo in the dam, it's great fun to defend and attack.

7. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

if we make the gates big enough to fit an NF CV, EVERY tank will be able to go through dam, it will just turn into another tank highway. And again, ONLY BE CV can fit in dam atm.

and im not really feeling changing any resource node values, I think the res for the map is balanced well enough. The maps hella fun as is.

8. communism

communism poof

I don't see too much of a problem with tanks being able to get through the dam. Seems like the reward of being able to get the NF CV inside out weighs the negatives

9. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

No, there's another option:

put a bollard between the ref and the north wall of the dam. so the CVs (or any vehicle) can get in their side, but not out the other side.

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

make sure you make it so you can breath at the bottom of the river as well, i don't think it would quite be mvalley if you couldn't walk along the bottom of the river without surfacing.

11. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

lol...that was like one of the first things i fixed.

EDIT: just did a test compile to get a look at some of the possible textures in game. Its not really any progress screens but its something
    Yar thar be a mvalley screen link

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  12. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

The new textures destroy the whole "cracked earth" feeling and it looks like generic sand textures.
    The colors are to equal, theirs almost no difference between cliff sides and ground color.
    I totaly dislike the new textures, sorry

13. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Oh, don't worry Mayama. He didn't choose to go with them, he's just compiling it with all sorts of different textures.

I actually made him a collection of new cracked earth textures, but they were just too vibrant in color, and didn't fit well with the mesa model or the tire track textures.

He's just experimenting. I can tell you didn't look through all of those screenshots though, because they're not all of the same compile.

14. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

The only difference between the compiles is a different ground color.

15. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Nope, different rocks too.

16. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

yeah but it isnt in the style of mvalley (omneh and mayama cry atm)

17. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

I think he's trying to appeal to the mesa, not the original textures. Either way, nothing is ever set in stone, he's just compiling them to see what they look like in the map. Experimentation is something the original mapper didn't do much of at all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  18. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

19. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Holy shit, god sculpted something in the image of an Empires map :o

20. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

lol

It looks worse than it really is cause the fog and far z clip plane aren't added in >.>