Map Spotlight: emp_isle

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by John Shandy`, May 26, 2009.

1. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

[​IMG]
    <filler>

2. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

That's about exactly where I added a ladder so far, Mayama. I just haven't posted screens yet because it's unnecessary at the moment.

3. Sonecha

Sonecha Member

A bit off topic, but is it even possible to do so with a good result? I was thinking about adding tunnels at some point, but due to displacements it seem impossible.

4. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

If you dont want to make the inside of the tunnel out of seemless displacements.
    Its not that hard, but if you want to its anoying and time consuming.

5. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

why is NW being expanded? it's going to a total bitch to walk around if you're on foot.

as you're just "extending", which i presume means you'll just add another displacement next to the current one, instead of expanding the current one, it really wouldn't be too hard to add an infantry tunnel at the steam between the two displacements, on the beach.

I've just had an idea.

[​IMG]

I've only edited SE in this picture, just to propose an alternate SE.

the idea is that you still get the beach base in that corner, which is a good thing. the base on the beach is one of my favorite parts of that map- the idea that the map just becomes a ring of cliffs with beach around it. that seems boring to me.

the new ramps mean that vehicles from the beach can still get up onto the cliffs, so there's no massive disadvantage to building down there, except that you can be shot down onto. which is a good thing in my opinion, it adds some asymetry, like Mvalley with the dam and the north.

one excellent idea might be to have the ramp for the the left cliff in SE be like a spiral, starting at 12 oclock on the beach and moving around clockwise on the cliff until it's cliff high at 6 oclock. this would shift the ladder a little bit.

6. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I read the hills on Lithiums picture as ramps, at least
    thats how I interpreted it.

7. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

[​IMG]

Another approach to make middle more interesting.
    2 long infantry bridges and 2 ramps for vehicles to
    access the hill from the ground level.

8. Lithium

Lithium Member

yes, exactly. The hill at the NW needs to stay because if that isn't there that front is too static.
    Anyways...

[​IMG]

-highlighted all new and current ladders
    -barracks possible under the SE bridge (you still can build one there if you want and get benefit of having bridge provide minimal cover instead of nothing, maybe even able to keep it hidden if other team is dumb)
    -NW river is passable by tanks (i don't know if it is already)
    -added some rocks in middle to block view of centre ref

I think that this one is the best of both worlds so far.

edit: this is the last copy of my mockup, take it or leave it.

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  9. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

The south east ramp is to close to the NF start it gives them to much advantage

10. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

There's a ramp North-West too for BE...

11. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

I don't really want to see isle turned into a donut shaped map, cliffs with beach around... I really think you shouldn't directly connect the BE and NF cliffs down in SE. just use ramps so you go via the beach if you are in a tank....

nice rocks around the middle.

12. Jackman

Jackman Member

I would like to see a middle island for the refinery. Ladder up to it and buildable bridges spanning the gap. It would make the map feel a little more tight and accelerate gameplay.

13. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

"I would like to see a middle island for the refinery"
    That's quite nice, just make some sort of visual piece for it. It couldd be a cliff or a hill, or make it an actual island with water, just something to separate it a bit.

14. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

for which refinary?

15. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

The three middle refineries on the sand to me are the biggest issue on this map, otherwise it plays flawlessly.

The middle refs need more cover or move them to better place or do something about the center of the map. Maybe add some small bum in there.

Empires players work like rats and mice. They avoid big open areas and prefer to build and go along cliffs, edges and covers.

16. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

the very middle one. As WHEEEEDHEEE said it's too open and is not an attractive bet.

17. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

the middle refs are quick to pick up (because they're impossible to defend), and switch hands fairly quickly.

I don't see this as a big problem. or a problem at all. what is the problem here? not all refinaries, especially the middle one, should be equally defendable or suitable for a base.

18. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

The problem with the very center ref is that you are risking a lot.

Basically all commanders realize, either by intuitionally or awarenally, that the middle ref isn't worth the risk because it would have to generate AT LEAST 100 res and preferable even more to make it useful and NOT a drain to your economy because it didn't manage to produce enough resources to cover even its own price.

Mostly people don't want to take that kind of risk and they prefer to take refineries which FOR SURE can produce at least twice their own cost, if not even 10 times their own cost before a chance of destruction.

19. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Adding cover to middle could help solve that problem, but not entirely remove it. The big issue is that no one wants to camp mid with a tank, waiting for an attack that may not come because theres now a tank guarding it. Infantry gets outright raped because it's so open. If you're holding mid with infantry and a tank comes in, you're likely gonna lose the ref.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  20. Silk

Silk Mapper

Another hill in the middle or something else that acts as cover would possibly be the change i'd welcome most ... with the exception of the already added new ladder in NW.