Map Spotlight: emp_isle

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by John Shandy`, May 26, 2009.

1. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Spotlight on Isle

Please keep vulgarities and arguments to a minimum. Post only if you have something constructive to say.

I've been asked to work on emp_isle. With Coffeeburrito's permission, I'm making this thread now to initiate discussions about what players feel can or should be done to improve emp_isle.

After looking at the VMF last night, I can see that it is pretty well optimized. I foresee that most of the things I'll do will be little things here or there to tidy things up and perhaps do some minor cosmetic work, as well as optimization.

I was excited to be assigned this project, as I've always loved Isle. However, I know that my feelings toward Isle are not commonly shared. Many people don't like it and will often rock the vote when Isle comes into play. I don't yet have a whole lot of ideas for anything that would improve the game play of it, so hopefully you all will bring up some good points.

Minimap
    [​IMG]

2. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

I think that the south east could be make more useful. The normal tactic for isle is rush the north build a rax and then get as much refineries as possible. I'd like to be able to go either north or south.

3. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

increase the initial health of the bridges, so they cannot be rocket sniped right at the start.

and I don't know if it's a good thing that you can't get up here or not, but perhaps a ladder top left. if you go down onto the beach in that area to build a ref or something, it's a long walk until you reach any other refs or a way to get back up, so it might be a big improvement if you could climb up the cliff at the NW corner of that cliff.

edit: lol brutos... nothing personal but focusing everything on NW is an alamo that newbie commanders use. a relatively small squad can really slow down an entire team trying to take NW, while the rest of their team captures the rest of the map.

I just think that going north (imidiately good) or taking the rest of the map is better than everywhere being equal value.

or whatever

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  4. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Two suggestions:
    1. More ladders (especially on the NW)

It would make the hills more difficult to turtle on

2. All refs on the beach/lower ground are x2

This would make capturing and holding the lower refs more valuable

5. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

kill it with fire (yes thats my constructive post)

6. Silk

Silk Mapper

I'm one of those who never really enjoyed the map, but i'm not sure why exactly.

Currently i think it feels that in isle i'm never in any nice action, but see things happen from a distance. In canyon i'm always right in the middle of the war, but on isle ... it happens a few times only in an entire match and at the end.

This could possibly be because there's not many places to go on the hills, and you're often somewhere you're no longer needed but have no easy way to get to the next area of interest. I'm always running around, always i arrive too late.
    I've often wondered how the map would play out if you couldn't acces the hills.

Suggestions ... maybe have more ladders like others have said, but i'm sure that alone wouldn't do that much.

7. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

@Silk: Cover every rock in vines. You can climb these vines. Global laddering.

8. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Turn the com vehicle sideways, and place them with the barracks between them and the water.

To prevent com rush and push into water. Lolz for sure, but not particularly wonderful for gameplay.

9. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

I would like to remind mappers of my modifications to the engineer buildables. You can now set damage/repair multipliers. In this way, you can fine-tune how long things take to build/destroy. I'd recommend making all bridges UNBUILT to start.

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  10. communism

communism poof

I can't think of anything to make this map better...More ladders/ways to get on the hills would be a start. Also the trigger_hurt in the water is nothing but annoying for infantry

11. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Can you make the right side not deep enough to drown a tank? Or I wonder if its like that on purpose. I've seen many a tank lost to that little pool though.

Great map

12. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

make water levels rise after a timer =3

no seriously, a bit more ladders could be nice, this map is pretty polished already

14. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

fail fix

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Don't change it, I like it fine as is.

16. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

For the most part I like emp_isle as-is, but I do like the idea of adding a ladder to the NW like the one in the SE, NE, and SW. Will probably do that at the very least.

As for the trigger_hurts, I'm not even entirely sure what purpose they're meant to serve, because they're far out enough to where you can still sneak as a ninja. I think they're more of a deterrent to prevent you from getting to the edge where you can see the Orange Box anomaly of skybox textures not bearing the same radiosity as everything else. I think they're ultimately pointless, as no other map with a coastal area has them. Might just remove them.

17. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

dubee is right about the pool that cuts across the water in the east. slightly too deep, so if you stop your tank in the wrong place, it stalls and takes damage and is impossible to start up again. should be made shallower.

this map is truely about as big as empires maps should get. it's not great for even 12 v 12 games, but in 24 vs 24 player games i've played it is pure pure gold. especially during the first 20 minutes.

I'm actually getting a bit bored of tank wars and the late game.... it's all "your team in one type of tank, theirs in one other. fight." I'm getting a bit tangental here.

18. communism

communism poof

Yeah tank dominance really does ruin the fun, since only a select few of your team get to enjoy being in one

19. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Well, graphical improvements are always welcomed. I also wouldn't mind a couple of pieces of cover especially in the middle and on the hills.

20. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

lol!

emp_isle_sinking?