Map Spotlight: Emp_district402

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Metal Smith, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Empty

Empty Member

Never seen you ingame.

Also unicode is for 8 year olds

2. --{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}--

--{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}-- Banned

Well, you are Australian right? I am usualy on at 20:00 - 1:30.(GMT + 1)

My in game name is TheArchitect.

I know you play this game because I hear people talk about you ingame - but I have never actualy seen you play.

3. Empty

Empty Member

Daww, people talk about me.
    I bet they say mean things about my singing.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I recall you once cropping up in a discussion about 3rd world countries.

Also, it's just the long ass corridor in the sewers on the BE side that inbalances it. If they couldn't see all the way down that, it'd more than likely be far more balanced.

Besides that I think it's absolutely perfect.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  5. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Camping only works with 1 way through an area.

If you can change the map to make it so that you can get around an obstacle like a camping HMG, without completely bypassing any particular part of the map, it solves the issue.

Adding more paths simply makes things more complicated, which is why I didn't want to change the sewers. The changes had the intended effect, however, and allowed the BE to get behind the camping NF whores.

The changes to the NF side bleed flag had their intended effect, allowing quick access to the flag. It can now be capped and uncapped quickly. There are now 3 ways in and 2 ways out.

The only change that seems to disappoint people who like district so far seems to be that the first section of sewers is very long and unbroken. Tbh, it's just as long as the NF side but without the drop in the middle of it.

I'm not sure if it's worth the time to redo 50% of the existing sewers to add a similar drop, so I may just add back in the wall separating the 2 sections, and then put a passageway to the side, so you can't see all the way down, but you can move through it.

Formerly, NF had a jolly good ol time camping because there was no way to get around them at the bleed flag on the map. You either had to cap the bleeder and push them back to an area they couldn't so thoroughly camp or you lost. The only real option for BE was to hunker down on the middle flag and camp it / turret farm, as it was far too easy for the NF to get around behind them through the sewers.

By pushing the spawn points back more, it requires a team to make a concerted effort to revive on the front lines in order to push the enemy back, and in the absence of such efforts, allowed the defending team the possibility of pushing back out.

3rd flag bleeding was removed to allow the game to move to these extremes in either direction, allowing more serious play in some areas of the map that have not been played much since it's conception.

I'm sorry that the sewers look "odd" and that I havent been mapping for looks and shit like that. If you are playing empires for looks, you are the wrong game mod forums.

Gameplay is #1 priority, I can fix asthetics or seek help from one of the other mappers, all of whom are vastly superior in such areas to me. The only thing i'm concerned with atm is the horrible gameplay issues the map currently has, and alleviating as many of them as possible.

http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=11294

Read through that thread before suggesting changes or leaving feedback, as it gets tiring having to say "no shit shirlock" every time you post.

6. --{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}--

--{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}-- Banned

I like the change to the NF bleeder, however if you could change the way the BE tunnel looks then I will actualy like the new district,

It's just that it look somewhat... odd at the moment.

Other then that, I would still like the HMG to be removed from district...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  7. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

HMG's being removed is up to the server owners.

I've spaced out a couple of things in the center, and scattered a couple more boxes. The imp medium wreck was replaced by the imp heavy wreck,for whatever reason the wrecked heavy's collision model doesn't include it's turret.

Minor odds and ends changed. As the Be vandalay building exit is not connected to the sewer exit right next to it directly, neither will the NF side have such a connection.

will compile and screen shot later today.

8. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

9. Empty

Empty Member

Needs more detailed brushwork/props

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

working on it.

Need to do a couple of gameplay tests to check something.

Also, the stair case, it's not a very good picture, but they are Highly detailed. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you see it in game.

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

see i like that you opened up the 3rd nf flag but i think you overdid it.

you opened up that spot you could block with a turret, thats great, you provided a backdoor access and this odd stairs behind the flag. one of the two is too much. sadly you cant get behind that building like on the BE side where the backdoor is protected from both sides direct LOS. i see taht you tried to even that out with those two extra ways but it now becomes too easy to capture, its way too fast to in there. and once BE has center there is little that stops them from getting to that flag while on NF you have to climb a ladder and then crouch through a mined tunnel just to jump into a camping rifleman ...

12. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Part of the problem is NF isn't used to having to really protect their flag. BE has to keep an eye on their sewer exits especially well though.

I may put a door back on the one entrance to the side though.

my thoughts on that still remain that NF can chuck a grenade in first and charge through. but I'll look into it.

13. Viper Sparky

Viper Sparky Member

Can someone explain this to me? I was spectating in a game with 2 people playing and while spectating one of them I seen a camera diamond appear on the player on the opposite team. If I spectated the other player or anyone else that played earlier in the round I didn't see one.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

i don't see how this is map related.....

15. Viper Sparky

Viper Sparky Member

Sorry if it is posted in the wrong place, the map by default doesn't have cameras enabled on it. In addition a grenadier doesn't have the ability to place a camera and he was the only one on his team. Is it a bug with the map?, a bug with empires? I don't know of other maps that don't allow cameras to test it with so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

16. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

emp_menu_quickcmd 2 0
    is what you are searching...

17. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

so thats how you do it, damn :D
    I use emp_menu_quickcmd 2 4

18. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

that's the quick menu command to target a unit.

that or you can also do it with binoculars.

19. Viper Sparky

Viper Sparky Member

It was the color (orange) that threw me. If it was red I would have realised that it was due to targeting. I haven't seen many squad leaders spot targets, mainly attack orders. Thx for the help.

20. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

its not a target its him spotting them