manual menu option

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by =HELLION=, Jul 22, 2006.

1. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

i know that theres the wiki and a manual comes with the mod, but sometimes new players dont just download mods and go, mmm time for some reading. or some players dont actually know that there is a manual until they ask or somebody yells at them. i know the engine supports html and was thinking what if there was a menu option in the start screen that said how to play or something to that fact, and then brought up a ingame ver of the manual. this way more players would tend to read before they just jumped into a server and drove the com into hostal land. or at least after they did maybe they would read it to find out wtf they did that got everybody so mad ;)

2. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

I think that would be a good idea, because I didn't even know there was a manual. I don't know if it was added in after an update or what, but all I've ever had for reference was the Info pages at the main site. I know installers can bring up a certain directory on-screen after finishing, like most will bring up the Programs directory where all the links to the installed programs are (Wherever the Start>Programs>InstalledThing>links is). So, couldn't we have it bring up the manual's files, and just label the actual index.html to "Manual.html" and everything else to whatever?

3. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

On the MOTD screen, in the lower left corner is "Help Guide" that brings up the manual.

4. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

nobody reads the motd screen =P

5. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

i have to agree with dee, although very true none the less. if somebody has gone far enough to join a server i fear that it is too late heh. but if they see a blinking light before they click on servers that says hey you ! read me to find out how not to be so nuby

6. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

What if after first install of the game, a screen comes up on program start-up, something like, "This is your first install of the game, It is highly recommended that you read the "Top 10 tips on how not to be a Noob at Empires".
    This, or while the game is loading, a load screen with a bunch of hints is displayed. It might add a couple of seconds to start up, but if you're like me, that time will be a drop in the ocean.

7. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

well maybe instead of making the motd the official website, you could make it a special page for the server with the first line being a bigass "READ THIS BEFORE PLAYING" or something like that, maybe even put the word kick or ban somewhere in there and ppl will think twice before not reading the motd and then the rules and i dno some other stuff and in the end "if you are new click the help guide" or whatever.

this might change their mind and if it doesnt they cant expect to be helped by others and will eventually be forced to read it the next time.

Ow btw and the help guide didnt seem to work some time ago, it wouldnt do anything.

8. Chico

Chico Member

For my part I am in the habit of unckeck the "Open Readme" at the end of the installation.
    It must be at the first launch of the mod that a MessageBox appears and advice to read the manual before playing.

9. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

well i mean if they just add a line on the mod start screen that says, "How to play." or instruction manual or what not, i think it would be good. most important is that it opens right there infront of them. popup or on the same screen (not exiting game) this way they dont go, bah f* that ill just jump in a game reall quick, i mean it cant be much different the cs:s right?

10. PJB

PJB Member

If anyone has ever installed gmod, after you install it it comes up with a massive internet eploer window basicaly saying 'you must have HL2 HL2 deathmatch AND css installed and run to play, so dont complain you nab) prehaps the patch should come up saying 'install the main game first you nab' (because too many people do that >_>) and the main installer could be modified to bring up the wiki!

11. 2TM

2TM Banned

How about a movie on how to play?
    Teach me how to make it/ How to demo and ill do it.
    [off topic: We also need a movie on the story of empires]

12. PJB

PJB Member

i can film videos for empires. if you'd like to help me i'd be happy to use the GK server and some of our memebers.
    my xfire's darthpjb, msn pokejoyboy@aol.com