Mafia 2 fail

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Castrol GTX, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

So I heard all about Mafia 1 all the time, and seeing that Mafia 2 was coming out, I dl'ed it to check it out. It's got a big empty city, all the cars go 40mph, you get fucking speeding tickets, and you're never actually allowed to do anything on your own. The missions always make you drive all the way across the map for no apparent reason, and theres no way to lose the cops if they're after you. But I figured i'd give it a break because it came out nearly the same time as GTA3.

But so now they've released Mafia 2. They've had like 8 years of technology and good game designing examples to improve. But it looks like they've learned none of them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A8E397F4qg Seriously, with the brandname capital they had before releasing it, they could have put some effort into it and made a really good game plus a killing.

Has anyone actually played it and am I (and this IGN guy) wrong? And why did everyone tell me the first was such an epic game when it fails so hard?

2. Cloud

Cloud Member

So.. you don't like games where the cops give ya speeding tickets and look for stolen vehicles by looking at the license plates?

3. Deiform

Deiform Member

Back in the day, the cops were really hard to get away from, and required a bit of skill and evasion like you would do in real life. Not like in GTA where you can just outrun the cops, then drive straight past them 30 seconds later.

4. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

No cloud, who does? lol Are you guys telling me Mafia 1 is a good game?

Godfather was better, lawl. Well I heard the second of that sucked too, worse.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  5. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

I actually really liked the first Mafia, but I also wasnt much of a fan of GTA3 so maybe its just about the kind of games you like.

6. YouzY

YouzY Member

[​IMG]

This is pretty much what I see in mafia 2

7. OMEN

OMEN Member

youzy plays party babyz, you learn something new about emp whores everyday !

8. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

Three words: atmosphere, atmosphere, atmosphere.

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

how can the overal of mafia 2 be the same as the lowest digit in the list of scores, unless the scores are totally independent of the final score... even if some parts count for more worth then others this is impossible without taking some weird ass rounding

mafia 2 is awesome, its a pure mafia game, an interactive movie

additionally mafia is focussed on driving, there is a lot of driving in the game, and thats good because driving is fun and very polished in the game

speeding tickets serve a function, if you run around the city as you would with gta you get busted... as you should

10. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Mafia is GTA gone wrong.

11. Cloud

Cloud Member

Just like how GTA IV is GTA gone wrong.

12. RKB53

RKB53 Member

Nothing more true has ever been said.

13. Empty

Empty Member

When GTA stopped being 2D GTA stopped being a good game.

14. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

We need Empires in 2D.

15. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

The good thing about Mafia 2 is the atmosphere and the game is fun to play through, but after that's done (takes about 10h) there ain't much else to do.
    No side missions, no multiplayer no nothing.

The selection of cars was pretty scarce aswell, not worth the price of a full game.

16. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

lol GTA4 is one of the best games ever made. Virtually bug free and just great.
    I've played it regularly and semi-regularly since it came out, which was like 3 years ago.

17. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Mafia wasn't supposed to be a GTA rival at all, it was supposed to tell the story of a 1930's gangster, complete with the atmosphere, suspense and awesome actions that came with it. Everything else was just extra.

So no, unfortunately you can't jump in a cop car and hunt other bad guys by putting grenades in their asses, or dismember seventy random bystanders and then drive your blood-splattered car into a garage that changes your car's engine while the police waits around the block, but I can appreciate a GTA-like game that doesn't do every single thing in a tongue-in-cheek manner.

18. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Bleh, games are supposed to be fun, not annoying in my opinon.

Getting speed tickets = annyoing.

19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I played it for 1 month, never completed it, never could be bothered to go back and play it more. Every time I started it up "HEY NICO, LETS GO BOWLING". And then I turn it off.

20. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

I can appreciate that, but its just that I found myself having to drive literally all the way across the map to do something, then drive all the way back, for like every mission. And then its like, if you speed you they chase you, if you run for 15 seconds they try to arrest you, you can never outspeed them cause they just accelerate enough to close on you even if its not actually possible to go that fast, and then you can never pick the guns you want, or get more ammo, or heal or do anything. It was just that at every turn the gameplay was terrible, even if the idea wasnt so bad.

So its pathetic to see them use the exact same formula for Mafia 2, after the examples of Godfather, GTA 3/Vice City/San Andreas/and 4, and even the less than good example of Assassins Creed (kinda big and empty, although climbing filled it somewhat, and repetitive), etc.

And sorry trickster if you cant be arsed to hit the B button.