Low FPS

Discussion in 'Support' started by vlamnire, Apr 24, 2010.

1. vlamnire

vlamnire Member

Anyone getting low FPS, lower then it should be?

Back in 2.24 my FPS never dropped below 40 and it topped out at 150. But now with the same details it goes from about 100 to 22. I know the particles look better but it lags when theres not particles being displayed. I could travel with 4 tanks and the FPS wouldn't drop to low levels but now they do. I even reduced the detail from 8x AA to 4x and put texture detail from Very High to High. I have a 9800 GT stock clocks.

2. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

As far as I know vehicle dust particles slow it down even when no one is firing. It got bad after we released and started to see real games - with 20-40 vehicles. It should be optimized sooner or later. Depends on when Empty has time for it.

3. Empty

Empty Member

I thought they got scrapped :S

4. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Also get rid of that dirt kicking up from explosions. People are bitching saying it's cheating when they get rid of it and it looks stupid of terrains other than dirt. It doesn't really add much to the game and it lowers FPS for me and other people who have no issues on every other source game and mod.

5. Empty

Empty Member

I play with it absolutely fucking fine.
    Anyone else who bitches can have their shitty inferior particles, and as far as I'm concerned they can go die in a fucking hole.

Gotta work on the lowres versions for you though dubee <3

6. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

No, you don't. :)
    1. Dirt lasting long and eating FPS.
    2. Raytracing for rain/snow.
    3. Vehicle dust particles.
    4. No optimization with +showbudget/cl_dump_particle_stats.
    5. No real optimization for new performance target that is 20 vehicles on screen at once.

In short, rendering Empires models costs nothing, brushes cost nothing too. So Empty thinks that if he eats whole rendering time by his particles and leaves 30 FPS then everything is fine. :)

7. vlamnire

vlamnire Member

Can't you make a patch Empty to remove dust particles created by vehicles?

8. OuNin

OuNin Member

this is why people don't like you. we talked about this.

9. Empty

Empty Member

In short, mootant discusses issues I've fixed.

10. OuNin

OuNin Member

Were those fixes in 2.25a?

11. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

5. you record demo of 2.25a round and profile selected parts on your client during replay.

Ounin: no. Maybe 2.25b will have them.

12. Empty

Empty Member

Ounin
    Nope because they weren't done yet.
    I've been kinda busy.

13. vlamnire

vlamnire Member

Or is there a script or something that tells the game, Theres a vehicle moving put these particles located here to display behind the wheels?

14. Empty

Empty Member

They're disabled on my client, so I assume they never got put in for release.

15. vlamnire

vlamnire Member

I OC'd my card and it doesnt go under 35 FPS now so it's all good. The card at default clocks and no fan speed modification tops out at 80c and with new clocks it does the same. I think it's designed not to go above 80c or something but it only reaches that temp when benchmarking.

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I don't like this, there seems to be no call for it in this thread, unless someone's removed a post that I can't see.

17. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I'm glad this is finally getting the attention it deserves.

I've got my own team working on optimization. I think using animated VTFs could make nice looking particles that eat a fraction of the resources. If you compare the resource consumption between entity fires on maps and empty's fire on buildings, the ent fires are much cheaper and honestly the ent fires look at least as good if not better. I think most of the differences can be explained with animated VTFs.

For a quick fix to FPS issues, you can download my custom particle package here. Be aware that some of the casuals will accuse you of cheating because they want everyone to have shitty FPS.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  18. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Animated textures eat memory.

19. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

BTW, if you use filters for AA like the ones from ATI(ATI: Catalyst Controle, Nvidia: no clue ;/), (I don't know if nvidia uses such things, anyway IF) additionally to ingame AA it will result in horrible performance losses, and I mean HORRIBLE. (I get with them around 1/3 of the fps i would get else)

20. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I'm sure they are more demanding than non-animated textures. However, the trick is to use way fewer particles while still acheiving the same visual effect because of the animated textures and getting a net gain in performance. That's how some of the existing particles work and I see no reason why we shouldn't try to emulate that.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010