Looking for a new headset

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Cloud, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Cloud

Cloud Member

I've been looking for a new headset for when my current one'll break, and I'll need yet another headset (7th?).
    One's I've been looking at:

http://www.shg.dk/Hovedtelefoner-Headsets/Sennheiser-PC-360-G4ME-Black-2215086.html
    http://www.shg.dk/Hovedtelefoner-Headsets/Logitech-G35-7.1-Surround-Sound-Gaming-2148864.html
    http://www.shg.dk/Hovedtelefoner-Headsets/Plantronics-GameCom-777-Gaming-Headset-2120248.html
    http://www.shg.dk/Hovedtelefoner-Headsets/Razer-Carcharias-Gaming-Headset-2148169.html
    http://www.shg.dk/Hovedtelefoner-Headsets/Razer-Megalodon-Gaming-Headset-7.1-2177521.html

I was wondering if you could recommend any, my current one is a creative fatality gaming headset, 3rd one, and to be honest, the wire tends to break easily.

If you wanna suggest another one, please try to locate it on shg.dk if possible. My main concerns are the following(most important first):
    Sound Quality
    Voice Quality
    Durability
    Comfort
    And finally: Price, it's only a minor concern.

2. Empty

Empty Member

I haven't had any of those headsets so I got no opinion on em.

Good luck finding a good one though, I've recently got a new headset which is sooo much better than the last one (terrible mic quality, uncomfortable to wear, shitty connections, my mic volume was always nigh indiscernible.)

The ones you linked look nicer than mine though.

3. OMEN

OMEN Member

a friend of mine had a razer headset, it was really good audio.
    but the wires were really dinky and broke after 6 months, the tiny wires that go to the cups.

4. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Any of those headsets are better than the failtality headset.
    I had a gamecomm headset and the mic quality is a little disappointing but the rest of the headset was fairly good.
    The Razer Megalodon and the Sennheiser PC350 are a little overkill imo.
    I can't really say which one of those I would recommend though.
    But I can safely say that creative headsets suck....

5. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Don't buy the G35 by Logitech. It has superb sound quality and the mic is great, but it breaks in less than a month. (They apparently thought it was a good idea to connect the earcups to the head support thingy with a 1cm plastic tube.)

*EDIT*

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6175221/Pictures/logitechg35suckscock (2).JPG

Tiny plastic tube compared to a usb cable.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  6. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

7. Cloud

Cloud Member

8. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

I got a 3 year old Koss headset that was around 35$ and has held up so far, probably due to not having a volume controller on the wire but I got one one on my keyboard so it's all good.

The comfort and sound is good but the mic is pretty bad, you get alot for your money though.

9. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I have a Sennheiser PC 151 headset that has superb voice quality, incredible stereo sound, is incredibly comfortable and so durable it's ridiculous. I've had it for about 3 years, and I drive over the cable with my chair around 10 times per day, getting it strangled between the plastic and shit, but it's still going strong, there's not even a "hold it this way and it doesn't work" problem. I definitely recommend that headset and any other gaming headset by Sennheiser.

EDIT: here http://www.shg.dk/Hovedtelefoner-Headset/Sennheiser-PC-151-Headset-2090522.html

10. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Sennheiser are usually the best for headsets/headphones.

11. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

The closed fork style headsets are actually more trouble than their worth, if a cable becomes loose inside the fork than you can't fix it and have to buy another, unless you want to attempt to open it which is risky business.

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

get decent (AKG) headphones and a seperate relatively cheap mic (alternatively if you really have too much money, then get a decent AKG mic aswell :P)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  13. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

14. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6158081&cm_re=fatal1ty-_-26-158-081-_-Product

^^ These. The Fatal1ty MKII is amazing. Superb wire quality, mic quality, sound quality, and noise canceling. I can be walking past gunfire and hardly notice it with these headphones on.

It's on sale at newegg for $70 instead of $100, I encourage everyone to jump on it, because I've put this set through hell (and continue to) and it performs.

15. Cloud

Cloud Member

But.. It's so... TINY. I require bigger earcups.

16. OMEN

OMEN Member

the head is big, you see ..

17. meg griffin

meg griffin Member

I used to keep buying these mid-price range headsets with mic (about US$ 40-50) but they kept breaking all the time, specially the mic or the cable.

Now, in the UK, i found this 1 pound shop where they had headsets with microphone... bough 10 for 10 pounds about 1 year ago and only 1 has broke so far... I will never spend money in the other ones ever again. I dont need hi-fi quality to hear you all screaming in spec.

18. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Do what Flasche said. Don't get a headset, they're shit. Get a separate pair of headphones and buy a clip-on mic or something separate. I have a pair of HD650s (Which might I add, are the best headphones in existence except for the HD800s). My brother has some PC350s and they seem alright. But still, separate is best.

19. Cloud

Cloud Member

Looked at some of the higher end AKG headsets, and it's the first time i've seen a headset that goes from 10-39800Hz and 105dB in that store.
    Well then:
    AKG K-701
    Sennheiser HD 650
    Or Sennheiser HD 595 (112dB :3)
    Edit: Or perhaps the Sennheiser PC 350, then i wont have to buy a seperate mic.
    The main difference i see between the Sennheisers and the AKG one is the impedance, where the sennheisers go to 300 ohm and the AKG 62ohms. How much does that matter, and which would ya recommend of these?
    Edit: Read about headsets, the higher impedance the more power is required to receive the same volume from what i read, and since i just have a regular jack i should go to 64ohm max apparantly. Or rather, that's the recommended max for portable players, I don't know about PCs, but i know that i have a stock psu a non-stock gpu, so i don't know about the power consumption.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  20. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Trickster's suggestion of a HD650 is a definitive yes if you want absolutely top-notch quality; these things produce the same sound quality as 1,500+ dollar headphones they use in sound studios. They're still relatively expensive at around 300 euros, though.