List of sounds that should be reverted

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Devourawr, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Yes it does sound great, but it doesn't sound like a pistol with no silencer equipped and a fact that's not mentioned anywhere.

I don't think the sound changes in general is going to drive people away, that honestly wouldn't make any sense unless it was obviously done awfully, like all you heard was this when driving any vehicle. I don't think it's going to attract new people either. It's just a change that some are either going to call "polish" or "something different".

2. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I pretty much like all the new sounds. They've all got a bit more weight to them.
    Only thing I find is they sound a bit clean - like they are super imposed. They definitely seem to stand out a bit too much, like they come from a single point source and there is no scatter at all.
    But for the most they are definitely an improvement.

3. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I've actually seen some vets come back and say they "love" the changes and I have seen them playing again. Hell, a couple of them said it made the game interesting again. But don't confuse this that everyone is saying it's a good thing. I have seen plenty of people complain, but I haven't seen anyone quit over it.

As for the pistol, I agree it should NOT be silenced sounding, unless of course the dev's want to add silencers to the game. But, seeing as they will not be adding them, I will make the pistol sound more like it is an actual pistol.

Thank you. I really appreciate this. I agree, some of them are a bit too clean or some of them have a tad bit of an echo to it but I will be working on making them all more uniform.

This is Exactly what I was going for though. The old gun sounds sounded... weak to me. New ones sound like they have some force behind it, like you are actually dealing damage.

4. Lazybum

I still disagree on that for half of them, but whatever.

Vets come and go all the time, no change is really responsible for making players stick around outside of a fixing some horrible crashing thing that prevented them from playing.

vipervicki likes this.
  5. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Okay, so I came to a conclusion on what I'm gonna do.

Before I fix the BE pistol sound, before I fix the Death and impact sounds, I am cutting all sounds volume in half to fix a bigger issue for some players. People are complaining its a bit loud and my goal then will be to get it to be more dependent on how YOU change the game volume meter.

6. Lazybum

I don't understand why bio mg sounds like it's slinging mud or something. It's firing a bullet, it's exploding gunpowder, it shouldn't sound *squish*. It makes sense as a impact sound, I assumed the bullet kinda explodes releasing a liquid or something with the bio agent like with bio ml, but not as a shooting sound.

Random question, but I noticed when firing cannons it will make a sound of dirt flying everywhere on impact. It's not very consistent though, is this a sometimes thing? Sound bugging out sometimes thing? Or just only does it on certain textures you hit, like how you have metal sound when shooting metallic things. Though when I was testing it out it wouldn't play sometimes even hitting the same texture. I'm not complaining about the sound, just curious.

7. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Regarding BioMG, the squish sound is suppose to be liquidy. MG's currently have no impact sound, so I had to vary the firing sounds to make them unique. For this specific one, I pictured the bullet having a trail of the bio goo trailing behind it and tried to have a sound to reflect that. If you listen closely, Bio cannon and Bio ml firing sound have a similar thing.

Which cannon?

8. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

nfar sounds shitty still dont like it
    It sounds like a old ass rattling beebeegun

9. Polyesta

Polyesta Member

I laughed way to hard at this.

Anyway's, the sounds- regardless, I highly doubt changed the popularity rate of the game. You can't keep re-microwaving a cooked dinner over and over. Sooner or later it's going to taste like shit.

This mod should be ported over to Source 2013.

10. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Hey good news for you, it is on source 2013!

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

and that since quite a while actually
    -- https://wiki.empiresmod.com/Change_Log_(2.8-2.25)

12. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

players always come back when an update is released, its the way of empires, then leave again after a few days.
    The cycle of life in empires.

13. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Alright so I have a trial sounds folder up on Dropbox if you would like to try it. I reduced EVERY sound's volume by around 25% so the in game volume will actually be used more. Let me know if you want it on steam, I will provide the link there.

Edit: I also did some more tweaking of some sounds and reduced some sounds that were obviously louder.

14. Neoony

Neoony Member

Gimme!! Now!! PM!xD
    Thats all I ever wanted from sounds in empires :grinnf: (almost)

Anyways, the new sounds arent all that bad. Little intimidating at the start, but can definitely get used to xD

I just quite hate how empires seems to have some serious issues with sounds and the range of where you are listening from.
    They dont seem to change anyhow with the range and sometimes seems like there isnt even any volume curve.
    Nothing specific to your new sounds...this was always there. But I guess it seems even more noticable now, probably because before most of the explosions were much softer in a way.
    Isnt there some issue with sound and empires? Isnt it supposed or capable of slapping some EQ/FX on the sounds with range?
    Or is that already happening, just not all the time?
    Sound in empires seems to really lack some dynamics. (in terms of effects and sound handling)

Thats the main issue with empires sounds.

Still, cool refreshing the sounds a little.

And I really want that reduced volume version from you ASAP. :)

15. Lazybum

Yeah, I'd like to try it out too. Vehicle combat is a new level of going deaf.

By the way, I notice a ringing effect from grenades, like that noise from concs but it sounds different and I know I'm not seeing concs go off all the time. Is that an extra effect or part of the explosion sound, because sometimes it's very gentle or doesn't happen. I'm not complaining about this one, just curious so I know what's actually going on.

Polyesta and Neoony like this.
  16. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Yes it is to go along with Conc grenades, since they are the flash and you'd have a ringing effect. It rings at different pitches I noticed, not something done on my end but I like it. As for it not going off sometimes, I have no idea. I have noticed with the new sound effect that people are using conc grenades more, not sure if it's the sound or I am just picking up on it because the sound is easily recognizable now.

I'll send you the link.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  17. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

I actually rather like most of the sounds, with a few exceptions (that might simply be glitches on my end).

I say that because sometimes, whenever I kill an enemy, I hear this random burst of static that I'm sure is not supposed to play, and also, the BE heavy pistol sounds staticky to me whenever I fire it, for some reason.

Also, I'd like to request a return of the "getting injured" / "getting hit" sounds. Half the time, I hardly even notice when I'm getting hit by bullets anymore until I look down at my health bar, because I've been so accustomed to the old sounds, and for some reason, I feel like the sound played when you're hit is just too quiet or muted or whatever - it's hard for me to explain.

18. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Thank you. Navigate to Empires/empires/sound and delete the "Soundcache" at the bottom. That will remove your staticy sound that you hear, it is currently a glitch for anyone who had the game installed and updated to this version.

As for the injured sounds, you say they are too weak? I can try to fix that.

19. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

Much thanks! Fixed the problem. Wow, the BE Pistol 2 sounds great without the static.

And yeah, that would be my only legitimate gripe in that case. I know a lot of people have been bitching about the engy repair sound, but I even like that, too.

20. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i really dislike the NF CV sound, it makes the vehicle feel even slower than it already is (havent been in the BE CV, dunno if it is the same?). also the infantry weapons could use a bit more ... idk ... oomph (?). yes i have to agree, on one hand they sound more real, but idk if real really is better.