List of sounds that should be reverted

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Devourawr, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

List not exhaustive. I like a lot of the new sounds, but please list the over the top silly ones here to kindly request Donald Trump for a remake.

Reminder that this thread is not to be used for asking to revert the on death sound because it's hilarious and I personally like it, so you should all grit your teeth and take it.

Engineer calculator
    The staticy noise is EXTREMELY grating on the ears. Also not suited to player healing.

Pistol sounds
    I have only heard a couple pistols but they sound like BB guns

2. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I am in full agreement with this one. I have no idea how this made it in. It was in in beta, then I removed it because no one liked it but somehow it managed to get back in. I do not intend on keeping sounds that are overwhelmingly hated. I apologize this made it in, it somehow snuck itself back in when I fixed the corrupted Missile Lock on sound yesterday during Christmas.

Which ones? NF, BE? P1, P2? I need specifics here if you can get them for me.

I apologize about some of the sounds, I really do. I am swamped right now fixing sounds, getting some ready for next patch (Deadline is in 5 days), fixing a map im trying to make, and I have to also make the ModDB post (And I think steam post?) about this mod being updated. I'll try to get around to all this when I can, but I really do apologize about that calculator sound.

3. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I like most of the pistol sounds buzz offf maatteeey

4. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I got no comment on the sound itself.

But it's really not like you can find a sound that's suitable for both healing/repairing and it's really not like our old sound did the job properly, it's just we are too used to it.

Also you might wanna use a more soft title, revert is a strong word. IMHO no sound needs to be reverted, they just need to be improved.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  5. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

No, he is right. I am in full agreement it needs reverted. It was unintentional and very wrong for it to get back in. On christmas day I released a patch that had the sound to fix the corrupted Missile lock on but this sound managed to get back in even though I removed it and it wasnt there for the first day of release and bam, it's back and ugly.

Edit: Out of so many changes, I'm glad I'm not getting screamed at for everything. Guess I did a halfway decent job.

6. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Join NUBS and check out Pire's auto message, you might alter that thought a bit.

Not joking here, I think half messages I saw were complaints about the sound, virtually nothing else, not even scripts.

But I really like the weapon sounds(vehicle/infantry), especially SMGs, sniper rifle and missiles.

7. Paradox

I think thats more due to the fact that sounds are always present and way more in your face than the fact that your bio missile now does 3 more hp per 13.5 seconds and that absorbant armor has a idiot multiplier 0f 3.4123.

8. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Yea, pires is definetly complaining about sounds, but thats because no one has been on for the last 2 days for pires to pick up from. And of course, most of the complaints were about the calculator, most people like some if not most of the sounds from what im gathering.

Its the biggest change to the game in a while, and the most noticeable. So, they log in, hear a new sound and say "dafuq, new sounds?"

9. TheCreeper

TheCreeper Member

Well, just for clarity. I wiped it's memory after it picked up some unfavourable words from a newbie, so anything that it's saying now is from the last 18 hours maybe. I don't believe all that many of the complaints were completely restricted to the calculator sounds though, I was on for many hours after the update was released and got to see some initial reactions from people.

10. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Yea, and I have been on for a good part of the day and seen peoples reactions. I know sirdiealot was complaining a lot (said they are DOOM sounds), MB said he's indifferent, and then others have been saying they like some and some others they dont. I know some people love them all, some people hate them all. It's split the community in some regards, but so does every little change on every thing.

I know the calc sounds are the majority of complaints though, and I will revert it ASAP.

Polyesta and TheCreeper like this.
  11. Polyesta

Polyesta Member

The engineering sound effect just needs to be mastered. Actually most of the custom sound FX just need to be EQed properly.

I have a music producing headset, and a audio interface a buddy gave me. I have to say the surround sound is theee worst.. IDK if that's source or if the development team literally made it that way but sometime's its just literally hideous, super overwhelming and all over.. Especially when you're spawning in and threes conflict around the spawn area.

Some of the tank models are remodeled ones I've seen off 3DS websites. Like the Abrams tank and such,.. so regardless if theirs even doom sounds I wouldn't fright to much. I mean most mod's do use other commercial sounds until they can make there own or they have a platform they can work off of.

*edit

Personally I'm surprised there's no cinematic sound when you first start the game. (like when empires logo pops and glows)

12. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

So... about that engineering tool sound. Where's the hotfix? Because I'm pretty sure the server population has been slashed due to mainly that sound being in the current live version. I tried playing but I have to turn down the volume so much I can't hear anything.

13. Paradox

Donald Trump singlehandedly killed empires. Next up, The United States of America

Polyesta likes this.
  14. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I submitted it. Should be going live soon?

I don't think the population has been slashed due to the sounds, or any changes really. If you look at steamcharts it was a very steady decline throughout all of December... hell one week the max players on was around 20 and it went 5 days with about 2 on average.

Word from Thexa: It'll be in next patch which will be released on January 25th. Sorry :/

Way to make a thread political! Also, I don't think I killed it. So far, from what I have seen ON the server the split has been about 50/50 on changes. Some people love it, some people hate it, some people like aspects of it, some people hate other aspects of it. I have seen the longer it's been out there the more people are OK with it.

Edit: Every empires change, including the UI change, has received scrutiny. New weapons some people don't like etc. Can't please everyone, but I try to please the majority.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  15. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Oh. I guess it is the holidays and most Empires players these days are well into their careers and would be going elsewhere. My bad.

The 25th? Wait what?! But, I mean you guys didn't even intend for the sound to be in this build. Couldn't ya, branch off the update commit, fix the sound and then release that build? Or, am I oversimplifying the deployment process? (You guys are still using Git right?)

I mean I could totally just replace the sound locally, but I'm unsure if NUBS has sv_pure on.

I totally get it, don't take it so hard by the way; you sound like you're stressing the hell out over there. Can't please everyone, and especially in a community this vitriolic you're only going to end up hanging yourself. The criticism is about the work you did not you as a person.

16. Paradox

It was a joke btw

Kidpaler likes this.
  17. complete_

complete_ lamer

im either too scared to open up empires to see the changes or just way too busy for what is supposed to be a holiday break

im happy to see some old features make a return though

Polyesta likes this.
  18. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Sorry, it's hard to understand sarcasm over the internet. Apologies.

Edit: Lots of stuff has been stressful lately and this hasn't been helping much.

@complete_ It's different. When you try it out the first time, it will be very different from what you remember. Again, just try it out first for a bit before immediately raging and saying its absolutely shit. Some people who thought it was bad at first that I know have grown to like it some.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  19. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I'd like to add the damage and death sounds to the list of sounds that should be reverted. Because imo it makes the game sound like I'm playing a game on my PC in 1993 or something.

Polyesta likes this.
  20. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

The damage sound was an attempt to make you notice you are actually taking damage. I think it does a good job at that (though I will turn down the ugh in the future, I have received a couple complaints about that though some people love it), since there is no input that you are taking damage from your HUD or an animation. I know it sounds terrible when taking damage from a turret because it is a lazer beam that always hits and yea... nothing I can really do about the damage from turrets and that will make any damage sound cut out halfway through.

Death sounds are very hit and miss. Lots of people love them, lots of people hate them. I'll figure this out soon what needs to be done with them to try to appease everyone.