Light Boat

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Darg, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Darg

Darg Member

Hey guys. Some of you may have seen from the other thread that I've been working on a light boat. I've finished the model (unless anyone can see anything to change? if so speak now!) and imported it into Hammer with a very simple texture map on it.

This took about 3 hours of re-figuring out how to compile models and textures! It even has a physics object but I haven't been able to test either of them in game yet as my map is going belly up on me when I load it. Atleast it is loading now it's just showing the outside displacement brushes only and the skybox is acting odd.. I think I may know the cause of that though.

It's 1:30am and I have work at 7 so I've given up for the day. Here are screenshots from the model inside hammer. As you can see the texture was a very quick thing I just slapped on. I have to do the UVW map properly and put in a proper texture map at 1024 instead of 512.

Let me know what you think should be changed/added.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

I like it; not too big so it doesn't require a huge lake, but big enough to fit some infantry on it. Does it have infantry slots like vehicles? If so, should there be about 3, 1 driver, 1 passenger (who can fire) and maybe 1 gunner? Or just 2?

Also, I think your NF idea for a boat seems AWESOME, but I think the NF boat should hold less then the BE. Why? The NF jeep holds more then the BE jeep, maybe BE should have an advantage over water then NF?
    Or, maybe it will help balance out the game with the weopons and such. I'd like to see these boats in the game ASAP either way :)

3. Darg

Darg Member

Well I'll leave the balancing issues up to Krenzo and the testers. Right now it is designed to fit the pilot, the forward gunner with the mounted MG and two passengers in the middle.

I'm not sure how to put player slots into a model. Is that done while making the model or when coding it in?

4. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Boat isn't bad. Textures are bad. If you want to use that hex texture from barracks please use on others parts. Why not just blue textures for BE and red for NF?

5. Darg

Darg Member

Like I said the texture is entirely temporary. Even the texture map is going to change. What I did was do a quick unwrap, baked the spec map to a texture, added in a colour channel with the hex texture and the different texture to the floor then saved as the texture image.

About 20 minutes in total. This was to show the model in game not the texture. The texture will be nothing like what you see in the screenshots.

6. serpent

serpent Member

yeh the model itself looks great, i dunno, mabey make some benches along the sides for the soldiers to sit on
    other then that, its pretty damn good!

7. Darg

Darg Member

I would but they would probably just end up crowding the area that the player can stand in. The idea is that they can crouch at in the middle and shoot. I'm hoping that it is possible to allow them free movement in the boat but maybe not. When crouched the player would be covered from the front that has the most armour but not from the sides so the best attacking tactic would be sail out to sea a bit and then aim straight in at where you want to beach the boat.

8. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Nice, would be funny to park a jeep on it... I kinda like it with the Temp textures though

-Sheepe