LF nerds for D&D 5th edition

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by D.D.D. Destroyer, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

I've looked into 5th edition, and it's like a 2nd/3rd edition bastard child with a primary school education.

If I can play a war cleric with good buffing spells (I need to read more) I guess I'm in.

Is there a timetable for when we need to be ready?

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

There's nothing solid, but I'm looking into 30th and 31st at early morning/morning for California people. If the american part of our playerbase doesn't have problems with 6 AM D&D sessions, we have a decent timespan each day for playing.

3. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I am not waking up at 8 am...
    And expecting people to wake up at 6 is just too much.

10 am for sjw land seems to be the better suited time because we would have sleep and it would be 6pm in the uk and 7pm for you.
    10 am Pacific is my 12 pm central and 1pm for anyone on my right.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  4. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

Are you running rolled or point-buy attributes? Also, which set of deities are you using? Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, what?

Also morning PST sounds fine for me, although 6 is a little early, 7 is more reliable.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  5. D.D.D. Destroyer

@Teef keep in mind a sesh is 4 hours, and that amount of time is not always readily available in one go. Just saying - I know that 10 AM and later for Cali is good all round, but 6 AM Cali = 3 PM EU = we just came home and have time.

@Drag0wn: We roll for attributes (or ability scores as they are called in the basic rules), and since I haven't figured out any religious bits the basic forgotten realms (I think? Right?) thing included with the basic rules is what we go off of for now.

6. BigTeef

Guess I cant make it then, that time is too unreasonable.
    I would never wake up early in the morning to play a video game let alone a pen and paper game, asking me to participate in a game that is centered around peoples mindsets early in the morning is just begging for me to cuss people out.

I refuse to act such in a way in front of Valmona, so I rather remove myself from the situation than playing irritated on edge.
    And a session is not 4 hours, a session has never been 4 hours its up to the people who are playing determining how long it goes.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Just stay awake then from the night before, and also consider moving to EST. Joking aside, quad D you could probably push the time up a bit.

8. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

The first, and only time I played, went on for like 5-6 hours. Mind you there was a lot of explaining the rules and jokes and bullshitting and story telling and more reminding of how things work because the only one who knew what to do was the dm and possibly a half hour to an hour break to get food.

But I don't think this will be as bad, at least half the players seem to have played a pnp game and 5th edition has a lot less convoluted rules and extra stats and shit. So people can get to the meat of the game.

I do think at least 2 hours is mandatory though for a decent game.

I'd be fine with any time really, but I live on the east coast so that doesn't effect me as badly. But 7 or 8 am sounds a lot more reasonable for most people, I can't think of many people who get up at 6.

9. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

At the back of the player's handbook (pg 293) there is the list of all the different setting's deities. So you're going with forgotten realms?

10. BigTeef

10 am central that is the best I can do.

11. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

Yeah, you are never going to get a time that's good for everyone, especially going cross-timezones like that. Just get the best time for the most people, and have some sort of contingency plan for when someone inevitably shows up late/doesn't show up/leaves early.

EDIT: But what's very important is that you give lots of warning. At the very least 24 hours.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  12. BigTeef

I want to play shadowrun at some point, I never played a game except the xbox 360 fps and the steam releases.
    The setting is hype.

13. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

Character is made: Lawful Evil Human Cleric of Bane.

Went with the variant human trait because that's the 3.5 human (basically), while the new human trait (+1 to all abilities) sucks ass.

Rolled abilities before modifiers: 15, 14, 10, 14, 10, 16

Rolls (discarding lowest) were:
    6, 6, 3, 2 (15)
    1, 4, 5, 5 (14)
    5, 2, 1, 3 (10)
    4, 3, 5, 5 (14)
    6, 2, 2, 1 (10)
    6, 5, 1, 5 (16)

Are we uploading character sheets somewhere? You'll need a copy Destroyer. Trust me, DMs need to see character sheets.

14. BigTeef

We already made our characters during the week.

15. D.D.D. Destroyer

I don't have the handbook readily available, so while it's rather limiting, I'd rather everyone stuck to the basic rules for their characters - there's no feats described and the only divine domain is life. Limiting, lame, BS, I know I know.

I sat down with everyone to create characters together, but if you feel like doing it on your own sure go for it. We used this interactive character sheet for our characters. Just send me a copy once you've made yours. Also link for basic rules.

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It's just going to be ultra basic for now. It's probably more important that people are a little forgiving and just up for having some fun.

17. BigTeef

I gave DDD a copy of my 5th edition book in a pdf format.
    However my monster manual got corrupted, so I just have the hardcopy (book) on hand.

18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

That's pretty awesome Teef. I'm sure that'll help a lot :)

19. D.D.D. Destroyer

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that. We pulled half-orc stats from there since Teef was hell-bent on that, and it escaped my memory. I still have to leaf through it though, it's rather large.

20. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

eew half-ork. i always imagined them as pig-people. sry teef

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.