LF any and all nerds for Wurm Unlimited Adventure mode

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by D.D.D. Destroyer, Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Check this for up-to-date details!

Actually, read this one next for starting info!

What?

Wurm Unlimited is, to describe it as quickly as possible, Wurm Online with servers hosted by third parties (the players/communities), which you pay for once and get to keep forever. The differences between Online and Unlimited are minimal content-wise, but Unlimited comes with many gameplay settings that can be tweaked by the server owners to make the grind easy or even gone. It also comes with two different modes, Creative, which is, as you'd expect, a sandbox experience, and Adventure, which is largely the same, but has an end-goal - collecting artifacts hidden all around the map, locked behind challenges. This is what we're going for.

The one problem with the game itself is that we're all stooges here and the game costs 30USD/28EUR at this point in time.

Where?

We'll be playing on a server hosted locally on my machine. The server setup process is very simple and I already figured it out. Of course this limits uptime a little since I don't keep my PC on at all times, but for the most part, it should be up for the better portion of the day. (I tend to sleep between 11PM and 8AM UK time) We have a dedicated server, running 24/7! Joining details will come near the starting time. For comms, we'll probably end up using the EPIC teamspeak.

When?

My last test before holiday break is on the 17th, which is a Thursday. I think the winter holiday sale on Steam will have started already and if Wurm Unlimited is to go on sale, it'll be then The winter sale starts on the 22nd, but you can grab Wurm for 10% off during the fall sale (until the 1st of December), or skip the first few days of playing. The amount of time required for finishing this ordeal will strongly depend on the amount of people that end up playing and how much time each of us will commit. I'm expecting it to take upwards of 2 weeks of quite intense playing by a squad-sized group, but I have no idea how many artifacts there are to find, so it might be waaay more. But no less based on what I've seen on my own. We will start playing on Friday, December 18th, in the evening UK time. Check the latest post (link at the top of the page) for a starting date.

How?

We're going to start our playthrough on a fresh server with default Adventure values slightly tweaked server properties (halved action time, increased skill gain, increased starting skill values, increased combat modifiers for players, reduced required mining actions). Those will be further tweaked if needed. We're going to start at the Mol Rehan starting village - I had a looksie, it's got pretty much everything we need close by. Well maybe except metal veins because I didn't feel like mining for a few hours just to find iron which I wouldn't use anyways. We'll find a good spot for a modest village with enough space for farming and good access to a mine. The world is shaped in such a way that water is pretty much always not too far off. We'll gear and skill up until we're ready to go into the wild and find the artifacts. This is just a rough plan, the main goal is to have fun while getting those artifacts. Everyone is free to do their own thing and all that. I'd request for no PvP but hey why would we limit ourselves, this is supposed to be the ultimate sandbox.

Who?

I'm looking for anyone that is interested in trying Wurm with me. Now, I know that a lot of big-time Wurmians already left when (or even before) Zeke got banned, but I'm sure that there are some of you who have had their interest sparked by what is to offer or by the changes. All you need is Wurm Unlimited. I recommend waiting for the Steam holiday sale in hopes of a better deal, but if you want to have a look around on some other servers (or your own), who am I to stop you. If you are interested, post here or PM me. I'd like to know how many people we'll have to work with. If you have any experience with Wurm (or, hell, even an idea of what seems cool), please also mention your preferred professions. I'm automatically assuming that you're going to be in the adventuring parties once we strike out into the wild ;)

Confirmed players:
    DDD
    Kane
    Lazybum
    Valmona
    Vicki
    Xellos
    DocRabbit
    Zoom
    TheCreeper
    More later?

This many means that we'll have absolutely no trouble starting out!

I'm sure I forgot about something, but hey that's the most important information covered.

tl;dr Wurm Unlimited with Empires folks, post if interested in playing

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    JustGoFly likes this.
  2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Mmm. HMMMMMM? MMMMMMMMMMMM?!?

I'll grab it if it does go on sale. I'll look at some vids of this adventure mode though, if it kills the horrible horrible beginning with vengeance then I might buy it even if it doesn't go on sale.

One thing that kinda stinks is job I'm currently at doesn't leave me time to really play with you during the week, but some opportunities might change that which I'm looking forward to.

Oh, this looks much better then old wurm too, that's nice. I'm not all for graphics, but there was a certain blandness to old wurm.

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

I am not sure what you didn't like about the beginning, but it's much easier to do any terraforming thanks to the starting skill values allowing you to dig past 3 dirt steep slopes and the extra fighting skill bonuses allow you to take on basic opponents without much hassle. You'd still want to run from a huge spider though. At the end of the day it still boils down to grinding out some skills, but it takes several times less time to actually get to respectable levels.

4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Or you're a filthy luddite like myself that doesnt even have a credit card.

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

Oh yeah, I don't know if this thing is distributed physically. That may or may not be a factor.

6. Lazybum

I don't have a credit card either, but I can use a debit card or a paypal account to pay. Though if you don't really have a bank account either then I don't what you could do. I guess one of those prepayed cards, but it feels dumb having to pay an extra 5ish dollars to do that.

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  8. D.D.D. Destroyer

Sorry for the double post, but this is worth clarifying: The winter sale starts 4 days after we kick off, on the 22nd of December. If you want to save money and not miss out on the start, you have until the 1st of December (that's when the fall sale ends) to get the game for 10% off. Otherwise, it's either paying the extra three bucks or starting a little behind.[/B]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  9. Lazybum

But it might go for 25% off during winter sale, that's like an extra 3 quid savings. Just think of all the candy and soda and really cheap beer you could be getting with that money saved.

D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.
  10. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

just bought it, it was 26.99 USD 10% off from 29.99

11. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

OMG I think I want to play this with you'ses, but the grind is immense. I mean you even start with clothes. So besides the enjoyment of chatting with everyone while chopping aimlessly for hours, why do I want this?

12. D.D.D. Destroyer

The grinding is reduced by faster skillgain, reduced Action time, and a few more subtle things. I believe the big fun factor is simply being in it together as a community, enjoying the social aspects on a daily basis, and then every once in a while having the really unforgettable experiences that make the slower games like Arma or Wurm special. I do realize it's a bit of a diamond in the rough situation, but based on past experiences, I'm fairly certain that it can be fun to play.

13. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

Yeah, count me in too.

14. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

yay! I think thecreeper is in too he told me he likes building games.

15. James

James Overly Annoying Retard

I'd be down, but nobody knows me ;(
    Have fun :D

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

Confirmed players:
    DDD
    Kane
    Lazybum
    Valmona
    Vicki
    Xellos
    DocRabbit

A couple more are still on the fence about it, so we're looking at 8-10 players. This should be more than enough to beat any challenge there may be if we prepare just right.

EDIT:

James is as in as he wants to be. We're open to all ;)

17. James

I'd be down :P
    I just don't know if I'm prepared for my anus to be destroyed by this game ;(

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

This can be adjusted just fine. Since there's lots of new players and just a fraction of the confirmed people are veterans, we'll make for an easy beginning - whoever wants to, will start at a safe village with a tutorial guide and refreshment vendor (I'll be with these people to help them adjust), while whoever wants an initial trek will be randomly spawned somewhere on the map and will have to find us first.

The difficulty will ramp up when we set out to look for the artifacts, before that point it should be smooth sailing.

19. Metruption

Metruption Member

I have a spare box that might be able to host the WURM server 24/7. DDD talk to me and let's see what we can do about it.

D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.
  20. James

Is this something you have to host on a server? :D
    I'm 100% down for that then, cause we want to expand our reach with Konjoined.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.