Level 2 and level 3 turrets turning instantly

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mr. Weedy, Jan 27, 2008.

1. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Could help district_402.

2. Caelo

Caelo Member

district just needs to have a no building zone all over the place :P

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

why add ammo? so that the turrets can periodically fail at the ONLY thing they are good for?

4. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Okay , bad idéa, but I'll arguate about it anyway. Maybe a reload on the MG turret instead of Ammo? Ammo would be bad as engineers would use ammo boxes to fill turrets up instead of their pals.

5. Noskillz & Nokillz

Noskillz & Nokillz Member

yeah every suggestion is bound to require balancing fixes to it...

if there is reload time, at least they can buff up the turret damage?

6. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Let's please not talk about changing overall game mechanics to help district. District's issues are a result of it's design... Empires was made for slightly more open battles, while District is nothing but two long corridors (sewers + streets) without any opportunity to flank, and with vehicles disabled.

District is the most 'un-empires' map in the default rotation... I don't think we can really take it into account when considering game balance. Empires was made to have tanks, and District doesn't. Empires was made to have a lot more room than District offers. Etc, etc. I'm not saying it isn't fun, but it isn't worth taking into consideration when making changes... it isn't worth threatening the balance of comm mode (or even more 'traditional' conquest maps) to try and fix District's design issues by modifying the entire game.

And, again, I think the only thing wrong with turrets at the moment is that they're too weak. Turrets serve an important purpose: By serving as a hard-point to attack and defend, they generally force players to use teamwork. That's a good thing. My gut feeling is that most of the people who complain the loudest about turrets and turret-farms are really just upset that they can't rush a good turret defense singlehandedly.

7. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Singlehandedly? Let's see what I can do to destroy level 3 farms.

1. Attack with normal tanks using SC - doesn't work.
    2. Get HE - takes time
    3. Get artillery - takes even more time.
    4. Sabotage it - doesn't work if infantry defends the farms.
    5. Attack with mortar/rpg - that works most of the time if you can see the turret.

All in all turrets are perfectly fine. I have nothing against their current strength. Turret limit should be 32+ by default. Firstly, their research takes time (a lot of time) and after these 5-10 minutes the only thing that you get are turrets. Secondly, most of our games end far too early. Someone rushes one side of the map then takes more refs and finally wins in 5-15 minutes. Turret limit lower than 32 (like 8-10 even 24) may be fine for a league but not for total newbies. I think that we all know that transition from a newbie to normal player takes weeks/months so it won't hurt. (you learn more from longer games than from "epic" 5 min rushes)

8. Hebrew_Hero

Hebrew_Hero Member

lvl1 moves faster
    lvl2 moves a bit faster then the current lvl 1 does more dmg then it currently does
    lvl 3 moves a tiny little bit faster then current lvl 1 does more dmg then it currently does.(should be able to kill in two-three bursts)

Also turret count by level should be in effect. That and turret range increased

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  9. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

That's what I mean; you aren't supposed to be able to rush them singlehandedly. It's not a game for that sort of thing.

10. Kodiac

Kodiac Member

Also, if you stand on top of a turret, it cannot hit you, regardless of level. Makes it far too easy for a pair of engi's to rush a turret, and let one take the fire while the other hops on top.

11. Caelo

Caelo Member

if you frantically run around the turret it wont be able to hit you.. This makes it far too easy for one (1) engineer to quickly destroy the turret

12. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Yes and let's all now imaginate a MG turret farm which has 10 level 3 turrets all over the place.

Ten engineers run to them, hop on them and start to deconstruct but... they get killed because the turrets shoot engineers above each other.

So... I don't think it is too easy for a pair of engineers to rush a turret or two and then jump on them to deconstruct them.

13. Caelo

Caelo Member

2 is easy... even if you're alone
    Just run up to one turret and hide behind it while still moving left to right (so the mg won't hit you). The second mg won't be able to track you so it wont even shoot you.
    When you've deconstructed the first one.. rest for a while get your calc filled up and run up to the second one and repeat.

Also I've seen games where the comm has literally lined them up which makes it realy easy to deconstruct them all..

14. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Or you can just use grenades, which take them out in 2-3 hits, come in an unlimited supply via the engineer ammo box, can be thrown over an engineer's placeable cover (or from outside of lower-level turret ranges), can hit multiple nearby turrets at once, and don't have to recharge.

Turrets are quite vulnerable.

15. Caelo

Caelo Member

yeah but that's not what this topic is about.. it's about turning..