Level 2 and level 3 turrets turning instantly

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mr. Weedy, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

While I was chatting on Empires channel on IRC me and Forkeh noticed that level 1 turrets turn slowly to face the enemy.

BUT level 2 and level 3 turrets turn instantly to the enemy.

In my opinion this is a bug which should be fixed because level 2 and level 3 turrets have enough firepower to kill infantry and vehicles very fast if they are in groups of 3 or more.

So in my opinion they should have delay in their turning too when they lock on you and are going to start shooting at you.

I posted this here because I'm not so sure is this a bug or not and I can't remember well is the situation like this or not.

2. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Agreed.
    If there are more than 2 l3 mgs and you get 1 cm out of cover, you are instantly dead, no matter if the turrets were facing the opposite direction or not.

3. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Yupps, as it's hell hard to go close with a turret as grenaider if you do not have an engineer with you..

4. Caelo

Caelo Member

another "bug" is that you can walk around a lvl1 MG and it won't be able to hit you because of this turning speed...
    This is how I deconstruct enemy turrets as an engineer...
    or sabotage them as a scout seeing as I almost never get the hide skill

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

good find I agree

6. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Feature not a bug. Rotation speed depends on turret's level.

7. Caelo

Caelo Member

The lvl2 shouldn't insta turn though... Just as the LVL3 should jsut have a very fast turning speed.

8. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

This is just good. We got to many scouts already, we don't want to wait early game to have scouts crawl (they can't run in hide mode) and to defuse them..

+

To counter: Build 2 turrets ;) .

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  9. Caelo

Caelo Member

You can just run behind one turret letting it block the other turret and then frantically run back and forth.. You won't get hit by the 2nd turret and the first won't be able to hit you :)

10. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Turret upgrades shouldnt be linear, but instead branches off into specializations. Ever seen a lvl 2 out?

11. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Turrets are weak enough as it is. If anything, they need to be stronger...

In particular, I would strongly oppose reducing their turn speed. That would make it too easy to rush past them... turrets are easy to destroy or neutralize, so to be useful at all, they need to be absolute control over their area as long as they are functional.

I do think the turn speed for level 1's needs to be increased; it shouldn't be possible to lead it in circles forever. But the instant turn for level 2s and 3s strikes me as very good... players are never, ever, ever supposed to be able to get into a contest of "skill" or dodging with a turret. They're supposed to be confronted with strategy and planning, not frantic circle-strafing...

And this is not a bug; this thread needs to be moved to suggestions.

12. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Lvl 3 ML turrets have anywhere from 18-25 missiles in them, but only fire 1 every 5 seconds or so.

why not make lvl 3 turrets do the same damage as level one's, but have them fire salvos? :P

Actually, 1 from a level 1, 2 from a level 2 and 4 from a lvl 3. that makes more sense because there is only 1 pod in a lvl 1, 2 pods of equal size in lvl 2, and 2 pods of rather large size in lvl 3.

I still think lvl 3 would be better with an 18-25 salvo, and then a 15-25 second reload ^_^

13. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Turrets have a limit of missiles?

14. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

he means the amount of holes in the ML pad thing.

15. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Yep, sorry for the confusion.

I just think that if all that changes in the appearance of the ML turrets is the size of the salvo box, then why do they shoot at the same rate and damage? Longer range is a nice advantage, but only works on flat terrain, otherwise it's easy to fly a missile into a mountain.

MG turrets already have increased firing rate when they get upgraded, so I was just thinkin maybe this one should too.

16. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

feature not bug. running into the range of a lev 1 and not realising until it starts shooting isn't deadly. it is for lev 2 and 3.

17. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Wouldn't it be more sensible to have traverse time decrease with turret level?

The higher levels have bigger guns, and therefore slower traverse times, but the lower level ones have high turn speed due to the smaller gun.

That way you have to decide whether or not to upgrade your gun in close quarters because the lower level ones might work better.

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Level 3s do have a greater ROF, as I told you last time.

19. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Lag. (filler)

20. Noskillz & Nokillz

Noskillz & Nokillz Member

Why don't we add reload time to the turrets? The higher lvl turret, the longer it takes for it to reload.

Maybe every 10 missiles for ml and 300 ammo for mg