Let's talk about what makes empires great

Discussion in 'General' started by Omneh, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

You don't have to be skilled or a "veteran" to make the game feel good, you just have communicate and play together. And the truth is, veterans (myself included) will more often throw games than make them feel great.

2. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I like all the new players because of the noises X makes and the faces I can imagine him pulling whenever they say something awful whilst driving their stolen CV up on to a rock XD

Neoony likes this.
  3. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

It's mostly facepalming and facedesktoping

A-z-K likes this.
  4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

The games were excellent. That's how you parse that sentence if I've written it right.

5. complete_

complete_ lamer

its a game that is fast-paced (but not stupidly fast) with a fighting terrain that is constantly changing (because WALLS).
    you dont need to be an fps god to be useful (you can spend a game away from the entire fight and still be fundamental to your win)
    the voice/text chat with large playercounts is entertaining and engaging, and a welcome break from other overly-serious or radio-silent video games

because of that its not just a merging of fps and rts but fps and adventure

Xyaminou, Ikalx and Omneh like this.
  6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Empires is an awesome game, and can be amazing at times... i dont want to be a downer debby but i feel it would be far more constructive to focus on what makes empires really really bad at times... communication and organisation.

for example, having the commander choose the research to research 'next' instead of the current research + have some suggested paths available for the commander so newbs can simply ignore research and learn commanding without fucking up others games.
    Or have squads organise more dynamically... instead of players joining 5 player squads let the commander manually determine squads and player roles (for example, commander or squad leader can change a standard squad in a 7 man squad with 1 squad lead scout, 2 riflemen, 2 engineers, and 2 grenadier) in these squads, players can still join freely but their class will be overwritten by the slot they pick. Then have the commander set global goals and have squad leads set squad objectives for these squads...

give the commander a panic button of some sort, if he clicks it he can select a squad and a spawn, all the people in that squad die and re-spawn instantly at the barracks at the cost of tickets.
    etc... that is the major problem with empires imo

7. Ranger

Ranger Member

I still think a pop up journal would be a good thing for a commander to organize his troops.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

The speed of the game does not allow this to be useful for most players... dont get me wrong its better then nothing but i feel objectives as in pop ups with text and a waypoint on your hud seems ideal. Allow the commander to give them to squads and global alike would be just awesome

9. Ranger

Ranger Member

Ye of course. Something practical is what we need.

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

panic button is easily exploitable.

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

in what way? commander spamming it? -> cooldown and fs space

its not perfect its something i literally came up with in 10 minutes but i feel it would fix FAR more then it would break.

12. flasche

wait till not overheated anymore, drive into the enemy base, recall? it needs to be x units close to building? drop armory close. ofc it doesnt really need to be the enemy base, it can also only be teleporting somehwere its safer to go with the cv then on foot. its basically squad revive with an incredibly hard to kill squadleader and for the whole team. having 4 guys in addition to an engi pop up in close vicinity to your base is bad already.

also its promoting boomtanking a bit if you just can drive a round the corner, press the panic button and your whole team is at your avail.
    ofc now i spoiled it you can take countermeasures ...

ignore, im too dumb to read. it would teleport a selected squad to a barracks. guess the word panic button triggered too much already.
    but just to find something negative, it would certainly make ninja rax a whole lot more efficient, currently they often fail because players aint responsive enough.

also idk if i want to be able to be killed by my comm on a button press. comm sees much, but not everything, he is not infailable either (comm view is limited to a circle around players, while players can see up to render distance) also it may be that a guy happens to be in the one heavy tank you saved up for the last 10minutes, also less ideal.

squads and empires in general is a topic which would require some more love. while the idea is great and on full servers it can also work out to have squads stick together, squads more often than not are something which you join, but not care that much about. the games' reality forces squads to seperate.

if you for example have a tanker, he is 10 times faster than the rest of his squadmates - or if theres a base under attack by a single guy, you dont need 5 to killspawn there, 2 are totally sufficient, but that means the squad is parted. ideally youd permanently change squads, but thats just too much of an effort (and theyre limited to 5)

im not really sure, i might be completely mistaken, but wasnt that you who once suggested something like dynamic squads based on proximity? but that would raise other question as, who would be lead and how would you notice it (the only visible change is the order in the list)

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yes, and it worked by the commander appointing the squad leaders, and the squads forming around them.

If the squad leader dies second in command line takes over until the squad lead returns.

i vaguely remember this

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

You are an idiot, its not about learning its about giving information in a clear and visible cue and suggesting things relative to their importance

edit; i guess you aren't so bad, i just get heated when people attack the people i care about.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

giving information and streamlining the game
    Calling you an idiot is not going to help my point but it its factual either way and helps me project my feelings about you.

16. flasche

woah - relax - less emotional guys ...

... or at least insult eachother on a more intellectual niveau with snide passive agressive arguments, thats more fun to read for the rest of us.

<3

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    Sgt.Security likes this.
  17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

He just called the entire playerbase stupid, all brakes are off then.

18. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Where did mr. x's posts go?

He didn't call the entire playerbase stupid, just the portion that are unwilling to learn so they remain new players. Unless you are saying that everyone can't learn anything new.

As much as I want a panic button I'm not sure about it. It would work better if it just made any dead players or for the next 5-10 seconds anyone spawning in would spawn in at the rax of your choosing. This way it doesn't mess up anyone alive doing something hopefully productive or at least not lose that heavy tank. Unless you can warp in the guy with the heavy tank, then that would simply be funny.

19. flasche

compaired to what empires was when i started playing, the playerbase as a whole lost a lot of team-intelligence. not saying individual players would be dumber, maybe its just attributed to everyone having a very precise idea of how a round is supposed to play out and those ideas just dont fit together. theres barely any coordination from comms anymore, noone goes over plans, the most teamwork you get is a bunch of guys stacking a squad (and ignore everything else, bc people rather be thankful that their squad will end the game which never had a chance to be balnaced in the first place)

sigh, i could go on and on complaining about people, it doesnt fix anything though. when i play empires today, i also resort to ignorance, i just do what i like to do, i see no reason why i should play engi the whole round to carry those who only care for their individual score (which doesnt mean im not willing to do anything an involved comm with a team interested in teamwork asks me to, id even basebitch for them)

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    Xyaminou likes this.
  20. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I deleted them, no point in talking if it's gonna be all hostility.

and this is what I meant: