Lets Play: X-Com

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Empty, Mar 19, 2010.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

he commands the mutons

2. Cloud

Cloud Member

HSM style.

3. Empty

Empty Member

4. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

Woot not dead! :D

wait a navigator?! and we dont have a hyperwave decoder yet?!

For shame empty for shame :p

----
    IMPORTANT
    ---
    http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Rear_Commander

This is where psi officers come in handy, they can improve the condition of cannnon fodder and one rear commander so you can have more bases with less worry considering they will all be squaddies with the proper training and a stable morale, and each player could get command of their own base and cannon fodder, of course it would be a significant undertaking to make these "quasi-bases" it'd be nothing like the current bases I've noticed you have been constructing they would probably only consist of two hangers a large radar, a living quarters, general stores, alien containment and possibly one workshop to derive a small economy off each one.

It will fulfill the initial idea that everyone could have their own customizability but now it can be taken to a further extreme, everyone could design their own bases and Empty would be the "X-com CEO" and each base would be given a preformance grade of course it would be empty controlling the soldiers but with the weapons skills and designs that the "Base managers" designated earlier and Empty would either give a base additional funds, a reduction, a pass (nothing changes), or a fail and the base would be sold off.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  5. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

6. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

what a pain in the ass. anyway, the only way to bump up the difficulty is to use xcom util. never heard of running x com in safemode, but it seems like a workaround. xcom util fixes all of that shit and more.

7. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

I thought that X:com util needed to be ran each time you wanted those settings in place. which is more of a pain in the ass then simply running the pc in safemode, but I'll tell you why it works in safemode. DirectX10 isnt backwards compatible with other DirectX versions, and X:com calls for an old file that doesn't exist in the newer DirectX and when it doesn't recieve the file it errors and closes....

Also I've started my own LP of UFO: Alien Invasion if you want to join up say pm me and whenever I update I will send the youtube link to you.

8. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

id like to be a riflemen with good accuracy ^^
    take my forumname
    this game is kinda hard before u get the second or third armor upgrade. id never use the tanks so i cant tell bout this.
    use theese illuminating balls often, theyre very useful, especially in nightbattles, but try to avoid night battles (mostly aliens kill all in night batlles, like in the movies, cuase we cant see far)
    get some meleeians too, since its fucking important to get some aliens alive. by chance ull stun some aliens shooting them, but theyll awake after one or two turns, so stunrod (and i think later u get other stun weps) is much more preferable.

9. Empty

Empty Member

Hyperwave decoder is being built as we speak.

I don't plan to be over complex because I know we'll get 20~ players over the course of the game, and keeping track of 20 bases is ridiculously expensive and hard to keep track of, especially if I have to maintain someones set of orders.

10. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

Daaawww :(

Also you'll thank your self for getting that decoder later on, you dont need radar anymore if you use those.

But keep that rear commander idea in mind, you could keep an over-abundance of emp-recruits and just send out a high ranking officer like a captain or colonel to sit in the sky-ranger while they do the hard work.

11. Empty

Empty Member

I like going in with our elite squad and kicking alien arse.

I'm a tad worried about when we reach psi though.

12. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

Whys that?

13. Empty

Empty Member

I've only had about 2 missions with psi aliens, so I have no idea how psi competent the men are.

14. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

just realized this threat is at page 15(now 16) already....
    but gimme a flightsuit if possible cause its fun to shoot aliens from roofs or to enter a building from a hole i shot into ^^
    (Empires should have jetüacks too, just a thought...)

15. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

The two stats for psi are psi strength and psi skill
    Skill is PSI attack and PSI strength is PSI Defence, the higher the skill the more likely you will be able to breach the recess of your targets mind and control them. Aliens are NOT afraid to kill their mind controlled comrades and shoot ON SIGHT if possible during reaction fire and if you control an alien longer then a single turn then they will mark that alien as a target.

Also it is possible to "rescue" zombified agents with the use of PSI. Merely mind control a zombie, shoot it to MAKE IT HATCH not kill it, the hatched chrissy will appear hostile but is actually an ally if it survives to the end of a battle the agent it once was will appear back at base with their armour, BUT you can also train your infantry off of these chrissies, if the MC'd chrissy is zombified repeat the process to "revive" the agent once more but beware each time you do so you may get skills for training but it counts as another casulty which will stunt morale.

Also because whenever you mind control any unit excluding the mentioned above it returns to alien control this includes CIVLIANS and you can avoid score loss if you take control of a civilian and they will be counted as an alien casulty.

heres the psi tables

Attack Strength (AS) = INT( Psi Strength * Psi Skill / 50 ) Attacker stats
    Defense Strength (DS) = INT( Psi Strength + ( Psi Skill / 5 ) ) Defender stats

Attack Success (A%) = 100/56 * ( Constant + AS - DS - Distance )

where
    Constant = 25 for Mind Control
    45 for Panic

It's quite significant that Attack Strength is geometric... a soldier with 100 Psi Strength and 100 Psi skill is not 100 or 200 times better than a soldier with 1 Psi Strength and Skill... he is 10,000 times more powerful at Psi attacks

If any of your squad members, even a tank, is visible to any alien during the Alien Turn, every member of your squad is at risk of attack from any psionic aliens, regardless of whether the spotter is psionic. It should be noted that once you pass Turn 20, all of your squad members and their locations are revealed to the AI. This means you can expect a steady stream of psionic attacks after that turn. Your soldiers are also revealed to the AI if there are only two or less units under permanent Alien control.

PSI LAB CONSTRUCTION SHOULD BEGIN IMMEDIETELY.

BUT you should note that we had a "quasi-agreeement" at the start that the psi amp user limit was to remain at two soldiers.
    another thing, try not to do game breaking mechanics such as psi scouting, (basically when you mc an alien and make them drop their gun they dont pick it back up, which is game breaking and unintended by micropose.)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  16. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Basically by the time ethereals show up you should fire everyone with less than 50 psi strength once you build a psi lab.

17. Empty

Empty Member

Vulkanis, stop quoting the UFO wiki, I already know this crap.

18. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

Fine :(

19. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

You can easily stop your soldiers from being mind controlled if they don't have brains...

BEGIN THE LOBOTOMIES

20. Nattaboy

Nattaboy Member

I am quite frankly disgusted with my ineptitude. Although, I probably shouldn't be that surprised.

Also, I'm totally in favor of Lobotomies for all.