LCD Monitors

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by alucard13mmfmj, Apr 21, 2013.

1. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

Hello Hello.

I am looking to get a new monitor.

I am looking for suggestions ^^
    This:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236175
    ASUS VS Series VS238H-P Black 23" 2ms HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 50,000,000:1

1920 x 1080 2ms (Gray to Gray)
    50,000,000:1
    HDMI , D-Sub, DVI-D

This:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236176
    ASUS VS Series VS228H-P Black 21.5" 5ms HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 50000000:1 (ASCR)

1920 x 1080 5ms
    50000000:1 (ASCR)
    HDMI , D-Sub, DVI-D

I do have to pay a 8.5% tax, however there is will-call so I can avoid shipping.

Or do you guys have other suggestions? I am trying to get a 1080p monitor for recording let's plays and gaming. I am looking to spend less than 150 USD before taxes ;s.

My youtube channel *shameless advertisement*
    http://www.youtube.com/user/VatiWah

2. Empty

Empty Member

It's time for community fun times.
    Alucard has posted 1 too many pointless blog posts.
    My question for you is "Did you give a fuck about this post at all?"
    If 10 people post "No" without anyone posting "Yes" then alucard gets a 3 day ban!
    Please answer honestly, I want to see the communities opinion on this.

3. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

what ;s. this is tech spec help involving monitors.. which you guys might be familiar with ^^. i also posted in places like techpowerp forums.

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Hop on slickdeals and wait for a deal. Don't worry about quality as long as it's a 22-24" 1080p screen. I would aim for a refurb.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  5. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

I put some monitors in my shopping cart, but I did not check out. I hope NewEgg would email me asking me why and send me coupon code for discount lol.

6. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

Yes, since I think this is actually a fairly sensible thread by alucard (compared to stuff like the "gachimuchi" thread). I have noticed that alucard has been making quite a few sensible threads lately.
    But this thread may still be pointless.
    Maybe we should not discourage him (as much) from making threads like this one.

7. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

Pretty much this.

If JGF can make a thread asking for help in purchasing a gaming PC, I see no reason why Alucard should be discouraged from making a thread asking for help in purchasing a monitor.

8. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

thread has merit. lacks cut&paste politics
    I like oled btw

9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Thread is actually insightful, is about something people around here actually care about, and is educative to anyone else who wants to purchase LCD monitors (even though Alucard totally is talking about LED monitors).

So discussion time to make this thread useful, whats the main difference between LCD and LED? And I don't mean technology, I'm talking about Pros and Cons. What advantages does LED offer that LCD doesn't?

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Refurbs of any PC component are usually absurdly good value and come with extra guarantees. I can't recommend them enough. I got a 256gb SSD for £150 3 years ago. If you remember SSD prices back then, you'll now I should have paid 2-3 times that for it.

So yeah, Alucard, if you can pick up a Refurb, do so.

Also, don't believe advertised response times or contrast ratios. They're nearly always outright lies. Google the model numbers and find benchmarks. But as Spartacus said, any 22-24" 1920x1080 monitor will do the job for what you want it to.

11. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Yeah, Empty is the bad boy here. Finally Alucard makes a thread that isn't anime or Ron Paul related and booom Empty comes in and throws shit at this poor boy. :(:(:(

Anyways, yes really any modern 1080p monitor will do.

12. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

There is an acer one for like 120, but it doesnt have HDMI.

I am not sure if i need HDMI since I dont have a console game. (but i might get a ps4 if my financial situation improves).

13. ImSpartacus

First off, "LED" is LCD. What you're referring to as "LCD" is an LCD screen that uses CCFLs in the backlight.

Unlike OLED and Plasma, LCDs need a separate backlight. They will look almost completely black without one. Backlights are thick and use a lot of power.

So a natural evolution is the replace the larger CCFL with a bunch of tiny LEDs. The LCD is exactly the same, but the thing lighting it has changed. Typically, LED-backlit LCDs are brighter, thinner and more efficient.

14. REX

REX Member

Yes often a lot more efficient my old 21 inch CCFL screen used about 80+ watts and my new 27 inch is about 40watts and just as bright. It does mean a lot over the course of the years your setup is running, it can amount to a lot of money going for low energy stuff.

15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

[​IMG]

So I'm guessing you don't get weird polarization issues when looking at 'LED' screens from the side as well?

16. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

still waiting for newegg to maybe give me a coupon. but ill buy it on tuesday or wednesday regardless because I am doing a let's play of Dead Island Riptide or the new Star Trek game.

17. ImSpartacus

Only on TN LCDs, but yes, the backlight does not impact that famous quirk of TN panels. Try IPS or PLS if you want better viewing angles.

They won't. Troll slickdeals for a good deal. Newegg is only one source of cheap monitors. Their refurbs are rarely a great deal.

if you're hell-bent on spending that much, you might as well get a quality budget panel (lul, oxymoron).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  18. Empty

Empty Member

just like to make an official apology here, I made that post after 40 hours (work and shit) up and I was pretty grumpy in general, needed a scapegoat.

This was a valid thread, in fact I was too embarrassed to come back for a few days because of how much I was a dick.

I'm sorry alucard.

19. ImSpartacus

You're a big person to be able to apologize.

And yes, I'm replying to all of your oh-my-god-trickster-is-winning posts.

20. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Still waiting for mine, my map idea depository thread is on lock down and it's feelings are hurt. Maybe if empty showed it some sympathies and apologized.
    It most likely wouldn't be so depressed any more and move on. His crushed dreams and emotions.
    Hes hurt man.. hes hurt real bad...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013