Last.fm vs Pandora

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by John Shandy`, Apr 30, 2010.

?

Which do you prefer? Last.fm or Pandora?

1. Last.fm

78.9%
  2. Pandora Radio

21.1%
  1. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

So, I've recently encountered several Pandora users who proclaimed absolute loyalty to Pandora. I often tell these individuals that I prefer Last.fm (as my personal experiences with Last.fm are that it finds me more music that I like than Pandora does, and it usually finds me more foreign artists than Pandora does). Sometimes, they'll mention to me that they've never used Last.fm. However, on quite a few occasions I've had people say that Last.fm is terrible or that it is somehow inferior to Pandora - without any explanation whatsoever. I want to know why, because my experiences have shown me that Last.fm has a much larger collection of artists; too often do I find that the artist or title I enter on Pandora doesn't exist, and in place it suggests artists that aren't even close to what I'm looking for.

For those of you who are unaware, Last.fm and Pandora are two similar web services that take an overall similar approach (with different approaches to implementation) to connect users with new music and artists that fit their preferred musical profiles. All of this is done automatically based on what a user enjoys listening to. There are quite a few similarities between the two services, but there are also quite a few differences. They certainly aren't identical, though they strive to serve a common purpose. Each has its own set of applications for mobile devices like the iPhone/iTouch/iPad, and for PCs and the like.

Here is a breakdown of each service:

[​IMG]

It appears to me that Last.fm is more prominent for the international community, given that it is already available in 12 languages and has a much more broad and all-encompassing collection of genres, artists, and titles - I think this is perhaps to be expected, as it was founded in the UK and the UK is an important international hub.

Last.fm also has a community driving it (with lots of relevant features on the Last.fm website & Last.fm mobile apps), whereas Pandora is simply an internet radio applying the technology of the Music Genome Project.

I would be very interested in explanations or details from people who prefer Pandora. I don't hold it against anyone. Rather, I am genuinely curious as to what it is about Pandora that draws loyalty or preference.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  2. complete_

complete_ lamer

i clicked the pandora link and....
    so i guess i feel obligated to vote lastfm huh?

Last.fm is great anyways. I get to show everyone that the music I listen to is vastly superior in every way.

3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I heard that Last.fm became unavailable for a bunch of countries without payment. I happen to live in the UK, so i'm ok, but I still feel that that's a really bad thing, considering other peoples had access before.

Pandora doesn't work outside the US, and even in Canada? I guess that's licensing or summat. So it really can't even stand up to any kind of scrutiny - especially on these multicultural forums.

4. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

well uhm I never had a chance to use pandora but I heard pandora
    searchs similar genre and lastfm by what other bands people and
    lastfm works better as far as I heard.

5. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

That's the radio function. (for subscribers)

The application in general should work without payment.

6. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I'm partial to Pandora because 1. It pioneered this type of internet radio and 2. Its system seems to find 'related' songs and artists better than last.fm. However, I've had problems not finding songs or artists on Pandora that's annoying. I don't see why you can't use both (but I would start with Pandora).

7. Empty

Empty Member

fuck american copyright law you guys are massive cunts

8. OuNin

OuNin Member

I like Last.fm since I can see what my friends listen to and check out my own statistics. They're kind of different, so the comparison is kind of weird.

However, I do enjoy Pandora because it introduces me to new artists.

Being in control of my own library, I favor Last.fm more.

9. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Someone lately convinced me to pay for Pandora...the higher quality audio and no ads is awesome (and hey...you can...skin the player? Yeah...)

I've never bothered with Last.fm...so I can't compare.

That said, add this to the list of things to vote for: Zune Smart DJ:

Yeah...works both on the Zune desktop client AND the Zune player...and pulls music from the marketplace. Adding music from a Smart DJ playlist to your library is simple too. Also, playing a Smart DJ playlist on my Zune device while I have wifi coverage is amazing. I imagine Windows Phone 7 will allow you to do it anywhere, as it's linked with the cell network (and you can also use Zune on a Kin phone) - better than Pandora and Last.fm simply for its integration; it's already hooked up to your library and it's simple to add new music to the library...or save the music off for playing later (as in, the playlist.) Driving down the road and know you want to hear RHCP's Otherside and similar songs? Yeah...not so easy with Pandora...certainly not easy with last.fm...simple with the Zune. Yay!

Between Pandora and Zune, I find tons of new music...just so happens that Zune is easier to use. Also, Zune lets you share music easily...so it's got last.fm beat there (I can share what I play, view what friends play, and optionally, download what friends are playing to my Zune so I can listen to their "channels" on the go.)

Also, playing audiosurf on the zune kinda wins...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  10. YouzY

YouzY Member

I cant listen to pandora, thus its useless

11. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

This vote is of no use if people don't vote based on the results of the two. All I know so far is people don't like it for it being in the US only....no one seems to comment on its actual merits.

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

What happened to you dude? you used to be cool :(

13. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

I've been useing last.fm for year since about 2004, Pandora is not completely free they require you pay after useing it for a couple weeks, i know this becuase they stopped service after about 3 weeks of using it, Seems like its purely based on how much you use it per month. Pandora is good if you're looking for new artists in the same area of your taste. I prefer last.fm for a better mix of music rather than choosing what artists/songs i wanta listen too.

I'm a techo/trance/hardcore listener mostly and so there aren't too many specific artists out there so its more about the mix for this genre rather than rock where you have your big heads

14. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

You can see who has voted. You can see that I have not voted, since I can't actually say Pandora is better than last.fm with regards to it's choices. I might be a hypocrite, but not in this instance :)

Back in the day, they did require payment; now you can be free forever, you just get a 128 kbps stream and ads; paying nets you a higher quality stream, and no ads (and you can skip unlimited songs - if free, you can only play so many songs every hour.)

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Oh! Cool ^^

/spam

16. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

give me your lastfm account names so I can show you how more awesome my taste is

17. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I voted last.fm because of its ability to be used in canada and its bigger library of artist, but I listen to digitally imported and hard.fm.

18. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

User DJ'd internet radio ftw
    AwesomeCougars Anonymous Free Radio
    420chan radio

trance and dubstep ftw

19. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Out of curiosity, what is missing from Pandora? I've yet to find something not on Pandora that I listen to...

20. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Also, for those with players that don't like last.fm:

http://sixones.com/projects/zenses/

Seems that'll hook into my Zune player fine. Seems I have used Last.fm in past, just did nothing with it...