Lag...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Stan761, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

You should defenitely ask Niarbeht for some help with playing. He seems to be able to play fairly fine.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  2. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

also, try mucking about with various commands

rate #####
    (rate is the amount of up/down bandwidth the client can use. 20000 is the max and is for fast connections, 3500-5000 for dial-up)

cl_cmdrate ##
    (this is the number of updates to send per second. Default in emp is 30, I think. 33 is good, as that's the tic rate of most servers. Try turning this down to, say, 25 or 20 to reduce upload bandwidth use. This SHOULDN'T be a problem, seeing as how my dial-up can handle 33 just fine. 100 is the max)

cl_updaterate ##
    (This is how often you get information from the server. I dunno the default. Fast connections can turn this up as much as they damn well please. Try turning this down to something like 10, though that may result in some choppiness. If turning it down to 10 helps, turn it up to 15, then to 20, etc., until you notice lag).

By the way, there are multiple settings for net_graph. I'll take some screens soon and make funky arrows that tell you things so you can understand everything that's going on. Well, most everything.

EDIT:

I am ridiculous and foolish, and did not realize this thread went beyond one page. I be less stupid in a minute.

EDIT2:

I recommend you ALWAYS play the game with one of the net_graph variants on, whichever you find most informative.

You can use net_graphpos ### to shift it around. Values over, I think, 3 move it from left to right across the screen. For me, net_graphpos 400 puts it in a nice place on the right side, mostly out of the way, overlaying my ammo counter.

[​IMG]

Here's the key:

1. Your frame rate. Duh.

2. This has something to do with how much info you're receiving. Tends to get VERY large right before/while you're lagging.

3. Has something to do with how much info you're sending. PROBABLY not the problem, but might be in your case.

4. loss. This is your worst enemy. We don't like him. This is the number of packets you are absolutely LOSING. Dunno if this is per second or what.

5. How much download bandwidth, in Kilobytes/sec, the game is using.

6. How much upload bandwidth, in Kilobytes/sec, the game is using. For you, this SHOULD start maxing out around 2.6 or so. If it's trying to go higher, uber-lags in store for ya.

7. This is the cl_updaterate you're ACTUALLY achieving. Note this isn't a real result for me, I made a temporary private server to take these screenshots.

8. This is the cl_cmdrate you're ACTUALLY achieving. This result is realistic for me.

9. The spiffy graph for net_graph 2. If you see really tall bars with big spaces between them, it's a bad thing. We don't like that. ESPECIALLY when it starts printing numbers (ping) over the bars.

10. The desired cl_updaterate.

11. The desired cl_cmdrate.

12. This is how much choke you're getting. Wait a shit, why am I getting 44 choke ON A PRIVATE SERVER?! The hell? D:

So, yeah, that's that. If you start using too much download bandwidth, try dropping your updaterate. If you start using too much upload, try dropping the cmdrate.

btw, my results from speedtest.net are all one big lie. Compression increases my apparent upload rate to their shitty test, and the freaking rain decreases my download rate.

So... Yeah, really I get ~25-30kbps up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  3. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

[​IMG]

What is lag?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  4. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

Comcast. Ouch.

5. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

What? Comcast fucking owns. God damn squirrel chewed through the line into my appt building...Comcast came out at like midnight to fix it.

I have no gripes with comcast.

6. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

There's been reports of Comcast interfering with Bittorrent traffic, so to me, that automatically disqualifies Comcast as a viable ISP :P

7. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Yeah, on the west coast. No issues on my side.

8. Stan761

Stan761 Member

thx for all your help guys i'll try and get it to work after my little cousins leave :P

9. Caelo

Caelo Member

not yet :P