Kerbal Space Program

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wealthysoup, Nov 18, 2012.

1. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Yes, mad that a country continent that wasnt involved in the space race wasnt the first to the moon.....

And thats before pointing out that the space shuttle had no relation to the space race.

My original point still stands

2. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

The only reason for that is because the US took in the V2 engineers from Germany.

3. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Wealthy can't possibly be this mad.

I don't see any swastikas on the moon, do you?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Wow the angry euros continue hating on America. I REALLY did not expect this.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  5. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

This thread has turned hilarious.

6. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

More like hating on the space shuttle since i never even mentioned the USA or the continent of the Americas. Maybe you should stop personally identifying with some rudimentary lines in the ground and a bunch of politicians that just do the same fucked up shit there as they do here... you self centred nationalist scum. If we, as a species not just people from the USA, would have put the money blown into the ISS AND the shuttle program into a mission to Mars we would have had a small colony going there by now...

8. Sitka

Sitka Member

I tried holding off on this, i really did.

Sorry Americans, but...

First artificial satellite: USSR
    First animal in space: USSR
    First man in space: USSR
    First woman in space: USSR
    First EVA: USSR
    First Moon rover: USSR
    First space station: USSR
    First spacecraft to land on another planet (Venus): USSR
    First spacecraft to land on Mars (so much hype for something already done 42 years ago): USSR
    How does NASA get to space? Soyuz.

Look at all that freedom.

9. BigTeef

[​IMG]

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

The Ussr never wanted to go to the moon, some public pressure induced by JFK's speech made them develop a 1 man capsule technically capable to land and return from the moon on a fucking shoestring budget. Additionally, they already had the rocket technology to get there. They tested the capsule for a couple days in low earth orbit but basically shelved the lunar project after those goals were reached. (As in, "we could if we wanted to, and we've shown that, but we dont want to.)

This shelving was before the americans had a fully tested Mercury 5 rocket, mind you. And they already had the rockets to send that capsule to the moon if adapted for it... Historians basically consider this the primary reason for them to abandon the project, it was prestige (the moon had no Economic, Military-scientific or Military importance in any foreseeable future) and to themselves they already proved they could do it.

They did other shit with their rocket technology (Building MiR, having the capability to shoot nukes the size of busses anywhere on the planet, cool shit like that.)

Truth is, going to the moon was fucking amazing, it basically built our modern world and lay the basis for modern day technology, but the bullshit about winning the space race is just silly propaganda to sell it to the plebs.

if there really was such a thing as a space(moon) race, there was only 1 contestant..., and they would have won by default, since the USSR was already showing the signs of collapsing. but basically anything else space related the US was either late, or did it post USSR.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  11. BigTeef

[​IMG]

12. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

That's not true at all, the USSR had a huge interest in beating the US in going to the moon first, only once the US did it first, they tried to eliminate any evidence that they ever had a moon program and changed their official motto to "a man on the moon doesn't interest us we build space stations instead".

13. Sitka

Sitka Member

I was going to add a "First man on moon: USA USA USA USA" in the end but no mater how many times i typed USA it just didn't add up to the huge list above and made it seem rather petty.

My point is that claiming that the US outright won the space race is rather redundant when the ruskies were first in pretty much everything else.

And as much butthurt as it brings to some people, first man in space plus landing first on another planet, even if its unmanned, trumps landing a guy on the Moon IMO.

My point is also that ever since the USSR collapsed, NASA sort of lost their game and everyone became more interested in miley cyrus and playing with the government on-off switch.

Have a picture
    [​IMG]

EDIT: added x2 to quote and this sentence in which i express my doubt as to if holding your hands to your ears and continuously posting pictures of a man on the Moon does or does not make one seem to be the one who is butthurt.
    Not even trying to make people mad here.

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

[​IMG]

the USSR lunar module on the right (left, sorry guys), smaller, one man operated +1 passenger and a fucking robot arm with drill for samples

already tested in low earth orbit before the US version was even done being constructed

15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

where is the engine and space for propellant?

16. BigTeef

My intent was to show a guy golfing on the moon, but that was the best picture to describe what I was looking for.

You can see the little club and stuff.
    I also found the old MTV logo back when they used to play music.
    [​IMG]
    I always post with my eyes, ears, and mouth covered regardless how im feeling.
    step it up sempai

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

inside the foot, just like its American big brother, the smaller craft needs exponentially less fuel because its total fuel weight needed weighs lighter and therefore needs less fuel to carry the fuel.

its the tyranny of the rocket fuel equation, heavier craft means bigger thrust needed, means more fuel needed, means more weight, means bigger thrust needed, means more fuel etc etc etc

basically for every kilo you add to your craft, you can expect to need 4 more kilo's in fuel, bigger engines etc etc...

18. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

if the russians were never trying to get to the moon why was the N1 invented, and subsequently binned when the americans got to the moon first?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N1_(rocket)

Edit: i'd be willing to bet that nothing they had at the time was powerful enough

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

This is why their lunar module was far smaller and lighter, they didn't have the budget to build and carry something to the scale of the American lunar lander, but they did have rockets that were smaller but still powerful enough that could theoretically deliver the small and light lunar lander if they kept development up instead of scrapping it.

I would agree its an if and buts story, but the N1 was far too powerful for the LK module, and although officially it was meant to be used for the lunar mission this was probably a way to internally put minds at ease over developing a rocket "bigger and more powerful" then the American Saturn 5 rocket "just because dick waving contest".

according to test documents, the LK module would be launched without crew, and boarded by a crew delivered in earth orbit, then a second LK module that is empty would follow behind when they did the hohmann transfer to the moon. Both modules could be used to return individually, but if everything went to plan, the Russians intended the second module to be a lunar base and rescue module for any further missions.

the LK lander had a spare set of engines to be used on descend or ascend in case of engine failure, plus the spare fully equipped rescue vehicle close in orbit also acted as a radio bouncer so they did not have any "radio silent" parts in the mission

they didn't intend to bring any jeeps or any of that cool stuff, massively cutting down on the weight.

20. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

First paragraph--Surely if it was an orbiting ship then the radio silence would still have existed?

Second- Rovers were only on apollo 15-17 (IIRC)