Journal of August Crow

Discussion in 'Worldbuilding' started by Alceister, May 11, 2009.

1. Alceister

Alceister Member

Private (Special), 3rd Brenodi Guards Division; Logistics

Log 1

Well, here I am, first day on the job. Passed basic training, but after that, I got thrown into military administration as a number cruncher. On the plus side, I don't have to go through the grinder again. Everyone else is being put into either Engineering or Advanced Combat for another couple of weeks before they get assigned, and from what I hear, both are brutal.

The downside is that I am being assigned to an active combat division.

So long, dreams of a cushy desk job. Of course, I'll be far from the battlefield, shifting paper and writing reports in the field HQ, but my father always told me "the farther from the front lines the better, because you never know when a bullet will end up in your face."

I'm supposed to report to some lieutenant for assignment, but nobody will tell me where he is. Mostly they ignore me and snigger behind my back. Bastards. Probably testing me. If someone does so much as bring a paddle near my ass, I'm going to make sure they lose their pension at the very least.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Nice start, sounds like this will get rather interesting :)

3. Alceister

Alceister Member

Log 2

Well I finally met the lieutenant. His name is Morgan Balley. Seems like a nice enough guy really, and he's my CO.

~

Oh this is wonderful. They've put me on casualty detail.

I have to count dead and cripples. And nobody is bringing me the numbers: I have to personally do all the legwork to the battalion HQs, the morgues, the hospitals.

And to top it off, my partner's a weirdo. Quiet. Never talks. At all; if he needs something, he leaves me a memo. And he has the tiniest, but neatest writing I've ever seen.

Guess who's on morgue detail for next week?

Fuck.

4. Alceister

Alceister Member

Log 4

Checking out the morgue wasn't as bad as I thought. Just so long as you're not too curious and don't ask too many questions. You get the list from the coroner's and you're out.

Of course, my first time around, they had to show me a little something. So the coroner "accidentally" locked me in the storage while he went out to get more peroxide.

So now I stood in the cold room, surrounded by plastic tables. To the far end of the room, there was a table with single body, in a black plastic bag.

I had never seen a dead body before. To be honest, I didn't know what to feel. Horrified? Disgusted? Or perhaps, curious?

So I went over to the table at the far end of the room. I slowly unzipped the bag. And inside...

There was a mannequin.

I laughed.

Ha Ha.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  5. Alceister

Alceister Member

Log 9

Well it's been about a few months now, and I've more or less settled into things. The others still give me a Look. It probably has to do with being a senator's son.

~

Now onto something else different and altogether more interesting.

I looked over the lists for the past three weeks, and well,
    there are about fifteen officers and NCOs among the dead. Normally this would suggest snipers, but most of them have been killed by shots at point blank range.

Others have had their throats slit.

Fifteen officers in three weeks? It's not like there has been any serious fighting going on recently. Some sort of truce I heard. Probably won't last more than a few weeks, like the others.

But anyways, this is all a bit strange. I've tried asking the LT but he just shrugged me off. Actually, he didn't seem to know anything about it either. Apparently all information on the subject is being tightly regulated by the Provost.

Last edited: May 15, 2009