Job Predictament

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by alucard13mmfmj, Nov 4, 2012.

1. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

So I am in a pickle.

I graduated from university 1+ year ago with a bachelors degree in human biology. Now I can't really find any work.

I am overqualified for low wage jobs AND I don't have previous experience doing low wage jobs.

I dont have enough experience for jobs that relate to my degree.

I am trapped in a situation where I need experience to get a job, but I need a job to get experience. Quite the vicious cycle if you asked me. It is depressing and I've been feeling terrible for the last 1-2 months. Thoughts of worthlessness and even thoughts of suicide.

I graduated with a degree in a field that I ended up not being too fond of. My GPA is 2.99 (let's just say 3.0 lolss) and I didn't really do much during my time in school. I had some volunteer time in 2 labs for a collective 6months of experience, but lab related jobs require 3-5 years on most of them.

My accomplishments is not that bad and somewhat well rounded

-Volunteered at Humane Society (pet shelter) for half a year in 2007
    -Got rank of Staff Sargent in the US Army Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC) in high school in 2004
    -Platoon leader of 2 squads (13-15 students) during JROTC 2004
    -3.5 GPA ribbon for my high school grade awarded by JROTC in 2005
    -Perfect Attendance ribbon awarded by JROTC in 2005
    -Honorable Mention in California State Fair for Digital Arts contest 2004
    -Honorable Mention in California State Fair for Digital Arts contest 2005
    -Honorable Mention in Pomona Library logo contest in 2005
    -Member of Mount San Antonio chemistry club
    -Member of UC San Diego Anime club.
    -Volunteered in a lab involving cephlapods (squids) and nerve cells for 3 months in 2010
    -Volunteered in lab involving antibiotics and soil for 5 months in 2011.
    -UC San Diego Deans (+3.0 GPA) list for 3 years at my university: 2008,2009,2010

I dont know... I just can't find a job.

I've been trying to start a business that is anime/weeaboo related, but profit is not too fantastic and reliable. I am currently looking for suppliers that are cheaper than the ones I am looking at right now.

I've been thinking about going to get a vocational training to be a radiology technician or dental assistant or one of the minor health professions. It is not something I truly want to do (even if I managed to get a job as one of those) and I would probably end up going to work for the sake of going to work. Also, I suspect jobs in those fields will decrease in numbers as the baby boomers die off. It would take me 3 years to get my certificate for vocational training, maybe 4 if I am put on waiting list to get into the program.

I've been also looking into making youtube videos, but chances of making good/reliable money is slim to none. lolz

2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Use your degree. What do people with undergrad 'human biology' degrees do?

Contact potential employers and offer to volunteer your time. You need experience and that's the way to get it.

3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Should have done coop bub.

4. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

Well.. I actually don't like to do research/lab related things lol.

The only place that might have decent pay is being in a clinical lab. Labs that screen blood for disease or drugs. I was actually going to get a job at one, but a family friend that works at the company Quest Diagnostic... died from a blood infection before I could get my foot on the door. I wonder how she got a blood infection.. TWICE.

5. ImSpartacus

You got the degree, use it. Suck it up and get the experience you need to do what you really want to do.

6. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

Its not what I want to do XD...

7. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I dont know how college education works in USA so I'm answering in how I would do it in Belgium. I'd go get myself a master so you are more hirable.

edit: you azn and not doctor? y u dissapoint race!?

8. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

My GPA is kinda low for doctor lol. And I dont have letters of recommendations either. Most graduate schools require letters of recommendations.

9. Paradox

graduate school = place where you get a master?

10. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

graduate school is a place to either get masters or you train to be doctor or nurse or dentist or lawyer.

11. Paradox

well get another bachelor diploma is what I recommend, a professor once told me sometimes 2 bachelors is worth more than 1 master.

btw if you move to belgium they'll basicly pay you to stay alive. We call it a "lifeloan" , its basicly wellfare for ever and ever. We have generations of french belgians who are on wellfare and never worked. And with that lifeloan you can go to college, everyone can go to college in belgium. Average fee for an entire year is bout 800 I thought. So move to belgium best place ever for education. Ow yeah, if you get sick there is obamacare times a 100.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  12. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

I'll pick your words apart and constructively criticize you.

Sounds like a personal problem.

Human Biology? What's so special about humans? Try insect biology next time.

Okay. Do low wage jobs. Simply fix to an easy to solve problem.

Then why did you go for human biology in the first place? WTF is wrong with you?

Get a job that you don't need experience in.

Vicious cycle? That water cycle always was vicious wasn't it.
    [​IMG]

Cause you can't get a job you want but you won't take a job you can get?

That isn't good bro. Go see a doctor. Or even a psychologist. Where do you live? I can recommend some good suicide methods/spots.

Then why did you go for a degree in Human Biology? Who the fuck does that?

2.99 out of 4.0? I would say you're a dumbass but I don't know what you do. You probably watched too much anime during that time.

That's a good start. Work your way up kiddo. All I can say.

You found jobs. You just don't want to take them.

[​IMG]

Give it up. It honestly isn't worth it in the long run. This won't get you a good job. You'll set yourself up for failure once again.

Try applying to be a pharmacy technician. If you have any experience in Chemistry it should really help. Take some qualifying tests which you cram for as well. American Chem Society, SAT, LSAT, MCAT, etc. WTF SOMETHING IS BURNING IN MY HOUSE.

You poor poor poor poor poor poor poor poor boy. You are no ModernWarNegro or RWJ. You can't do shit cause of people like machinima who fuck over every gaming channel by asking to broadcast your shit. They're fucking shitniggers and should die.

But in all honesty, I do recommend applying to some shit job. Heck, work full time. Sacrifices must be made in order to climb the job ladder. Eventually when you reach the top, you would have realized the journey was worth it.
    You can always be a teacher too. Teach a human biology class (hahahahahahaha). Sure you might be a shit teacher but at least you're making dosh. And who doesn't love money.

[​IMG]

13. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Apply fucking everywhere.

Fucking. Everywhere.

Step 1. Get a piss poor job
    Step 2. Get a pissing internship
    Step 3. Repeat step 2 with better internships
    Step 4. Get a piss awesome job
    Step 5. Fuck bitches

14. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

15. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Find a master in something that qualifies you for a job you like doing and is demanded in the labor market. I'm sure somewhere in the US there is a university that doesn't care about your grades if you pay enough. ^^

If you found that master then you have a perspective to look forward to. Now get yourself some boring, risky lab job and work there unitl you earned enough money for that master's degree. Doing a job you find terrible is much easier if you know that you have a better future. (I know what i'm speaking about here ^^)

Nevertheless, if you DO suicide, please write a letter where you blame the Empires forum for it. We need some more PR.

16. ImSpartacus

Do it anyway.

17. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

You should NEVER go for a degree if you are not interested in the material (even if it will lead you to a high-paying job like a doctor or engineer). You should do some research at your university (contact career services or alumni center) for interesting jobs that you can target with your degree. Forensic lab assistant? Nutritionist?

As stated above, look for jobs that are related to your major. There are entry-level jobs that are related to your job but you aren't thinking of. Don't go for obvious jobs that you are overqualified (e.g. store clerk) or have no experience for (e.g. lab technician).

The infamous Catch-22 of finding a job. You did the common mistake that many college students do: never took advantage of internships or coops. They are the easiest ways to get experience, build your network, and make some decent income. There are still internships that don't require you to be in school. Try to find volunteering opportunities as well.

Though you have already graduated, your university is still one of the easiest sources to find a job. They will have the network, references, and on-campus career fairs that would help you get a job. Talk to former professors or graduating class on different opportunities you can do.

Worst-case scenario: You need to get a different degree. Depending on the major and school, you can use your current degree towards credit on a related major (thus not taking another four years). For example, biomedical engineering and other health-related degrees are a booming market, but make sure that it interests you AND you can do the material. Hell, I have had friends in their late 20s go back to school for 2nd degrees, a "meaningful" degree, or a second-attempt at college when they sent too much time partying before. It's not the end of the world for you.

Only things that should be in your resume. No one cares what you did in high school, especially if you just graduated college.

Good idea, but try your best to get something as close as possible to what you want. It will help you with experience in the long run.

Bad idea. You wasted your time in college not doing internships. Don't waste your time at a critical point of your life doing more bullshit. Unless you are some trust-fund baby with your parents' financial support to "follow your dreams", grow up and get a real job.

18. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Fucking network. I cannot describe how important this is. Regardless of what people tell you, Nepotism and Cronyism can be 2 of the most useful assets with regard to getting a job. Create connections and abuse the living fuck out of them to meet your needs. I cannot stress this enough. Find friend/family links that you can use to get onto the career ladder (often the first few rungs are the hardest to get on) and then network the fuck out of your time on those jobs, so you can use it to climb the ladder.

19. Paradox

problem is I have a feeling alucard is an akward azn so its gun be hard

20. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Become a Mason, that will help the networking process speed up.