Jeep MKII

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Lumi, May 6, 2009.

1. Lumi

Lumi Member

In all my days of playing Empires (since pre 2.0) I've been fond of Jeep warfare. But with the onset of faster and better ways to transport troops and kill people, the days of the jeeps are almost over.

Most people associate jeeps with the waste of resources, but I believe that is wrong.

The Jeep MKII would be similar to regular jeeps in every way except the jeep MKII would have a machine gun mounted to the back, it would become an effective anti-infantry weapon for quick hit-and-run strikes.

Through upgrades, perhaps a jeep MKIII would be available, with a powerful rocket launcher on the back(to be manned by infantry) to be able to destroy slower tanks by dodging the shots.

This may encourage a whole new level of jeep strategies which would implement new levels of teamwork and fast paced gameplay for those riding in jeeps.

The research for the improved jeeps may look somewhat like:

Mechanical Engineering->Improved Jeep Chassis->Jeep MKII->Jeep MKIII

2. Cloud

Cloud Member

similar already suggested?

3. Drag

Drag Member

Passenger weapons code isn't properly implemented, the model would need changing too, we'd also need a turret/mg model to prop up on it. Not sure what the benefits really are.

Jeeps are cheap transports. The will be ultra cheap in 2.24 and only useful for transportation and short annoyances. Their average speed will also be faster. Don't see why we need another fighting vehicle, the APC fills this role and has spawns.

Also suggested before imo.

4. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

There was already a thread where Don Megel showed his high-poly non-skinned NF jeep with MG mount on it but I can't find the topic now. It could have been only on the testers' forum.

Anyway, this has been suggested before, has already done partly but I don't know has this been finished.

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Sidewinder

/modelled & implemented in the 2010's :p

6. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

Just attach ammo box in the back of the jeep and it becomes 10x more useful in the battlefield and is less of a waste of resources for some who constantly whine about buying jeeps.

Also, upgraded jeep chasis ain't bad idea at all.

7. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

You mean something like this?

[​IMG]

8. Lumi

Lumi Member

I like using jeeps, don't get me wrong, but I hate being branded a noob for using them. In a stalemate with tanks I usually drive in a jeep with grenadiers on it, and allow them to all drop mines, quickly creating a minefield. Or I can use it to draw fire from enemy tanks and running over enemy infantry. But there is just so much negativity associated with the jeeps that an upgraded one would seem less "noobish".

9. ba'al

ba'al Member

An MKII jeep is rather pointless and needless... Specially when the devs are already strained with balancing weapons and the new afv model we really need.

10. petemyster

petemyster Member

it was in the old dev blog, but no doubt the server the image was hosted on has died

11. thetim

thetim Member

"Passenger weapons code isn't properly implemented"

Tell me more - is it a limitation of the Source engine, or is it something that has been started for Empires and is not high on the priority list? Just curious; correctly implemented and balanced, passenger weapons would be fantastic and I've wondered before why they don't exist.

12. Straevaras

Straevaras Member

Great, just great. All we need is a platoon of jeeps carrying HEMG/DU and 3-phase.

13. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I thought some guy on the JPL made these two jeep models which had passanger controlled guns...

I could be wrong too but those jeep at least had guns on them.

14. ba'al

ba'al Member

Did they work?

15. Omneh

Omneh Member

Turn sv_cheats on.

Build jeep.

Use cheats to setname JEEP

Use cheats (ent_create emp_building_imp/nf_mg/mlturret) to place a turret on the jeep.

Use cheats to setname TURRET

ent_fire TURRET setparent JEEP

Bingo, instant turretjeep.

EDIT: The principle taken to an extreme:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  16. Drag

Drag Member

Don't quote me on that but I think there is no prediction code for passenger (mounted) weapons. So you'd be hard pressed to hit anything and you would get tons and tons of non-register hits. I presume there are some hacks around that but nothing properly implemented.

17. communism

communism poof

Would probably be caggers if anyone...

18. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Ha, I remember that.

We also made BE cvs RAINBOWS :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

[​IMG]

19. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Caggers modified the scripts to put a lvl 1 turret model on that.
    It shot like a normal MG weapon that APCs uses.
    It was funny, and it killed me.

20. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

I think that if this were implemented, the MKII would get a MG slot that would have to be 2 slots, and the MKIII would then get a 2 slot missle in addition to the MG. armor remains to be 1 plate. also, (perhaps sadly) I can only see this working with a turret mounted on top that might resemble the well known Halo Warthog.