Jeep Configs (The Commanders Swiss Army Knife)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Angry, May 4, 2007.

1. Angry

Angry Junior Member

First off I'd like to thank Don Megel for letting me use his jeep models as an example and concept.

With the vastness of 16x or even higher scaled maps. Changes empires completely along with aircraft, thus creating endless possibilities with the new space but also, at the same time it creates new problems. Let's focus on one of the main problems, transportation and jeeps.

Let's face it, jeeps are almost entirely a waste of res 75% of the time. To fix both of these problems, I have come up with jeep modules or Jeep "Configurations". This will enable the use of guerrilla tactics as well as allow a team to adjust to the ever-changing battle situation both early and late game.

Here's what we have I have now:

---The Troop Carrier Configuration---

[​IMG]

This configuration removes alot of necessaries and extends the chassis of a standard jeep to carrier a total of 6 passengers including the driver and gunner. Doing so allows an entire squad to move across the battle field together more quickly. A Troop Trans config and a squad could be dropped off via dropship outside the enemies Anti-Air defenses and allow a squad to freely move and operate around and inside enemy lines much quicker.

Due to the large chassis and heavy load the troop transport is a tad slower than it's standard counterpart. but it still is faster than your average APC. It does feature a forward mounted Light Machine gun, similar to that of a infantry MG, but is mounted to where it can only aim infront of the jeep it does not have a full 360 degree coverage as our next configuration does.

Balancing:

- Troops do not have any sort of protection from MG fire or a well placed Tank round.
    - Does not act as a mobile spawn point
    - Slightly higher armour than a standard jeep
    -MG does not have full coverage.

---The Patrol Configuration---
    [​IMG]
    (The image isn't exactly what I had in mind so ignore the second gunner)

Comes in two flavors, MG and ML. Can seat 3 (1 driver, 1 passenger and 1 gunner). Built with both patrols and guerrilla warfare in mind this configuration allows guerrilla tactics and quick patrols and guard duties. The MG is simply a standard MG taken directly from a tank a mounted to give a full 360 degree coverage to mow down poorly equipped infantry squads or that lone ninja. As same for the ML, a modified breach loaded missile launcher, firing rounds almost identical to ones fired from tanks, Allowing quick disposal of lightly unguarded structures or armored vehicles such as APCs and other jeeps, but stand no chance against a few grenadiers or a lone Light tank (Unless in a large group of Jeeps).

Balancing:
    - Again, the crew has no protection from MG fire or a well placed Tank round.
    - Lower armour than a standard Jeep
    - Stands little chance against a turret or tanks.

---The Support Configuration---
    [​IMG]
    (Again ignore the gunner)

This configuration provides ammo and healing to the frontlines. Any infantry or tank within 10 feet of the Support jeep gets free ammo. To be healed a soldier must stand right next to it to receive a automatic heal. Because of the hundreds of pounds of assorted ammo and medical equipment on-board. the Support config is the slowest.

Balancing:
    - Large explosion when destroyed (kills or badly injures infantry near by.
    - Is Sloooooooooow
    - has the same armour as a standard jeep
    - The crew is now protected from MG fire or a well placed tank round, especially at the speed this thing goes at.

Any more suggestions for different configurations? Post 'em.

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  2. arklansman

arklansman Member

Or we could make slots and such and let the players come up with their own configurations. :)

3. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Well not to rain on your parade, but that would not only require vast amounts of coding. Plus the teams art department is small enough, with 2 guys this is why aircraft aren't close to being finished yet, with no models and parts to work with I'd figure it would hard to code the extra features of the aircraft right.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to have the possible, but there isn't any sort of structure or layout for how it would be done :(. These configs would be selectable via the customization menu. by doing this, it simplifies it, with more configurations if any are suggested.

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  4. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Actually the Jeep is modeled, she just needs the grunt work of an unwraped low poly model and the rest would take maybe an hour...on the art end any how. Talk to Krenz about code.

5. arklansman

arklansman Member

Umm...The entire vehicle customization system that is already coded?

6. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Krenzo adds an amazing new set of thingies aside from missile slots and cannon slots and engine slots and armor slots. He adds "JEEP TYPE" slot.

Or he adds the different types of jeeps to the drop-down list.

At this point, I don't see how it'd be too hard.

7. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Automatic heal = bad, same for tank ammo. this would make it hard to kill infantry near the jeep, and they would be able to shoot back too since they dont have to face the health box. A tank parked next to it could keep pumping shells into an area with no worries of running out of ammo.

I like the concepts, but the support jeep needs a little work for balance.

8. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

ammo crates already pump ammo into a tank, the tank just cant advance. With this the Jeep must follow the tank but its still just a Jeep, one shell and shes gone. Your right about the health though, needs to be health box style where you push use, perhaps with a very slow working area of effect.

9. KILLX

KILLX Banned

yes, but the tank can shield the jeep. If this was put into effect, I can easily see tanks flanking a jeep, with one tank in front of the jeep, to protect it and constantly restock.

10. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

And when aircraft are introduced, bombers will kill both with one carefully aimed bomb to the jeep, which explodes and kills the tank with it.
    /end idea

11. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Tanks don't have unlimited armour to defend the jeep for too long Killx, and neither do they have unlimited heat capacity to continuously fire. This idea seems fine to me.

12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

what's the problem with that? that sounds like excellent teamwork, not a bug.

13. Angry

Angry Junior Member

No, there will be anti-aircraft half-tracks, so if the team didn't drive some to guard from aircraft that's a flaw with the team and it's commander not the idea.

14. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Wouldn't a jeep carrying all that ammo make a slightly larger explosion that normal? Say something along the lines of...

[​IMG]

15. Simon

Simon Banned

Are you kidding? A jeep that gives ammo that is destroyable compared to a NON DESTROYABLE BOX any engineer can drop that is free?

Considering 90% of players are engy if anything the only problem might be is the ammo box is useless on the jeep.

16. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

But the health box makes it so much better, and now that lone gren can do some real damage if left alone, and dare I say it... The rifleman can now take out buildings AND cover himself?

17. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

take out buildings with rifleman grenades... good luck.

18. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Done it.

19. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

I like the new models, but doubt the usefulness of the support and squad jeep. I don't really see the need for them when the APC already does both roles plus the added benefit of forward spawnpoint.

I guess it makes sense for x16 maps when money is tight and you need mass transports in order to get around quickly, but in my opinion I would save up some resources to even get the crappiest APC instead of the squad and if it's really important to have mobile ammo+health around I'd have an engineer hotwheel around in a regular jeep, especially if the support jeep is slower and more expensive.

I welcome the armed jeeps though, that's something sorely missing.

An idea for a Jeep I'd just like to throw out is the surveillance jeep. Basicly an engineer camera + radar on wheels. Would be neat for patrols and handy around the front line. Information warfare!

The cons would be something like unarmed and seats only two.

20. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I think tanks should have a slower cannon instead of the semi-auto blaster they have now too, maybe be able to unload a shell every two seconds. Contrary to that it could do a bit more damage to infantry though, aside of the artillery tank.