Jainism

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DarkHorizon, Nov 19, 2011.

1. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Member

Jains do not believe in a creator deity responsible for the manifestation, the creation, or the maintenance of the universe. The universe changes in the course of time governed by the laws of nature with no necessity of a coordinator or regulator. Jains believe that there is life in parts of the universe other than the Earth. Jainism has extensive classifications of various living organisms including microorganisms that reside in mud, air and water. It teaches respect for all forms of life and encourages minimizing harm to other living beings by practicing five major ethical principles.

Jains believe that to attain enlightenment and ultimately liberation, one must practice the following ethical principles in thought, speech and action, which are called the Mahavrata ("Great Vows"). They are:

Ahimsa (Non-violence) – to cause no harm to living beings. This is the fundamental vow from which all other vows stem. It involves minimizing intentional and unintentional harm to any other living creature. Non-violence is sometimes interpreted as not killing, but the concept goes far beyond that. It includes not harming or insulting other living beings, either directly, or indirectly through others. There can be even no room for thought to injure others, and no speech that influences others to inflict harm.[16] It also includes respecting the views of others (non-absolutism and acceptance of multiple views).

Satya (Truthfulness) – to always speak the truth in a harmless manner. A person who speaks the truth becomes trustworthy like a mother, venerable like a preceptor and dear to everyone like a kinsman. Given that non-violence has priority, all other principles yield to it, whenever there is a conflict. For example, if speaking truth will lead to violence, it is perfectly moral to be silent.

Asteya (Non-stealing) – not to take anything that is not willingly given. It is the strict adherence to one's own possessions without desiring to take those of others. One should remain satisfied by whatever is earned through honest labour. Any attempt to squeeze material wealth from others and/or exploit the weak is considered theft. Some of the guidelines for this principle are: Always give people fair value for labor or product.
    Never take things that are not offered.
    Never take things that are placed, dropped or forgotten by others.
    Never purchase cheaper things if the price is the result of improper method (e.g., pyramid scheme, illegal business, stolen goods, etc.)

Brahmacharya (Celibacy) – to control the senses including mind from indulgence. The basic intent of this vow is to conquer passion and to prevent the waste of energy. In this vow, the householder must not have a sensual relationship with anybody other than one's own spouse. Jain monks and nuns practice complete abstinence from any sexual activity.

Aparigraha (Non-possession, Non-materialism) – to detach from people, places and material things. Ownership of an object itself is not possessiveness; however, attachment to an object is possessiveness. For householders, non-possession is owning without attachment, because the notion of possession is illusory. The reality of life is that change is constant; thus, objects owned by someone today will be property of someone else in future. The householder is encouraged to discharge his or her duties to related people and objects as a trustee, without excessive attachment or aversion. For monks and nuns, non-possession is complete renunciation of property and relations including home and family.

Anger spoils good relations, pride destroys humility, deceit destroys peace and greed destroys everything. Jainism recommends conquering anger by forgiveness, pride (ego) by humility, deceit by straight-forwardness and greed by contentment.

2. Empty

Empty Member

You don't practice what you preach so why should I listen.

3. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Member

I do not claim to practice Jainism.

Note* This is only an article. My personal views are not relevant. I suggest another thread for revenge replies.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  4. Empty

Empty Member

5. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

I want the old Moojuice back, at least he was somewhat fun.

6. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

[​IMG]

Hai there.

7. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Member

It's a "coincidence" that your favorable scenario is the one you proclaim to be the "truth".

Trolling is not constant. At the moment there is no trolling on my part.
    But if you could prove that I was a troll constantly or atleast force your self into accepting it. Then you could "justify" ignoring me.

In this thread at the moment you are closer to a troll then I am.

8. LordDz_2

If this is not trolling, then what is it?
    Cause at the moment all I see an article copied from wikipedia about something nobody here cares about.

9. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Member

That is incorrect. You care about it.

10. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Hello friends, i feel the need to share this picture with you:

[​IMG]

11. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Member

Why do you want to share it?

12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Because it's pretty symbolic of this thread.

13. LordDz_2

Is moojuice mad?
    Btw, Ever heard bout this guy LordDz? He's really fucking awesome.

14. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Member

I am quite happy at the moment.

15. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Painfully bad troll is so bad that I feel the need to remind him of this.

Painfully bad troll is now slightly more successful.

16. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

jainism = Laveyin Satanism?

17. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

wtf dude your sig is getting fucking huge... im sure its against rules.

18. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Member

Theres a limit and I reached it it's all good.

19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Cut it down, 3 quotes of 1 line maximum, or I'll do it for you.

20. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

more like poojuice