Is Commanding fun or not? Redux2

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by aaaaaa50, May 17, 2011.

?

Is Commanding fun?

1. Yes, but it could be improved.

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Yes, no changes are needed.

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. No, it needs an overhaul.

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  4. No, another opinion stated in post.

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Kinda the same poll as last time here, but this one is starting about 19 months later.

Edit: Great, this time I forgot to make the votes public. :rolleyes: I want to start another thread and fix the poll, but only if this one is deleted.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. complete_

complete_ lamer

"Now I want you to attack this barracks".
    "Oh wait, I cant target this barracks".
    *Targets the location next to the barracks*

Its so fucking dumb and retarded.

3. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

yeah, instead of scrolling over the screen to give targets directly,
    I now scroll over the screen, look for my players names and then tell them how many enemies are around them and where to look. :headshot:

4. Empty

Empty Member

Targets were bad gameplay but at least they gave you something to do.
    Commanding is boring as fuck now.

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

if targeting was everything you did as comm, you were doing it wrong ;)

6. Michael

Michael Member

Targets were bad gameplay but at least they gave noobs some chanche to deal with more competent enemy, and something for comm to do.

Commanding is fun, but it could be really really improved.

7. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

I still give targets, just now it is way more work and forces me to focus on single players on the field and includes yelling at them where the enemy is next to them.

8. susanexpress1

susanexpress1 Banned

I think most of us are hoping it could be improved.

9. Krazer

Krazer Member

Even the goldspammer knows.

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

wonder what he'd give me for 5000res ...

11. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

half as much as he would give me for 10000

12. Felcis

Felcis Member

I personally like to command...in theory. Normally the fun gets replaced by frustration and annoyance when the majority isn't doing as they are told or when all the effort spend in research is rendered pointless since most players seem to be allergic to tanks.

I was thinking about how to improve it:
    How about implementing shock-collars that can be used by the commander to temporarily stun/flash/slay certain players from com-view? That way the commander could acually punish disbehaving players and maybe get their attention. Of course that would also be a problem if the commander was a troll but the game would be pointless then anyway.
    Mhm...not sure if I should be serious about that idea...so horrible, yet tempting...

Well, reliable and precise single targets might help as well.

13. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Member

As much as id rather drive a tank and kill stuffs, commanding can be fun, even if you have a retarded team you can find ways to enjoy yourself, like building repairpad bridges in Mvalley, so noobs dont drive off of the existing bridges, or droping turrets around your retarded infantry and watch them scurry about as the build them. You could even, (in theory) build a turret trail to enemy bases so your noobs will go there.

14. RKB53

RKB53 Member

this /filler

15. LawnNome

LawnNome Member

commanding is fun as hell, i kinda wish that there was a tactical commander and a building/research one though. i miss being able to select enemy infantry for my team, sometimes i find myself ignoring research for a few seconds to verbally warn my team that an enemy is approaching. i find that to be the most realistic feature an rts could have, a real human giving verbal commands to another human on the ground fighting.

i do find it frustrating that if you want to do well you only decide a gameplan once, at the beggining of the map, then spend the rest of the time researching and dropping buildings where they are requested. sometimes i dont feel like i'm commanding really when i'm the one taking commands like 'Ref!' 'rax' 'no dont get reactive'. :rolleyes:

16. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

It depends entirely on my mood and that of the people on my team.

Alot of the time I command only because no one else on the team is going to and to not command will mean the entire round will be total bs.

But when I do feel like commanding then I think its really only limited to your imagination what you can do if atleast a couple of squads are working together. It doesn't just have to be a boring rush to chem heavies then bio. With the right team pretty much anything in the research tree can be fun and there is loads of ways to play most maps if you can be ambitious although most of the time I play it conservative because people can get annoyed if you try to pull a strategy other than 1. Immediate rush 2. Beat them at the choke point or 3. Go long range arty.

But yeah, rambling aside Commanding is fun. Needs more stuff though - more presence on the field than just a cone on the minimap and a little more influence I wish I could change people's spawn points depending on their squad, not lock thrm to it, just change it.)

17. ViroMan

I think commanding is rather boring... I avoid it unless no one else wants to do it... even then sometimes I will just say F it and go scunt around knowing the round is lost.

18. Apex

Apex Member

Commanding would be fun if you had two teams of half decent players who followed commands and plans and did sensible things when neither exists. Instead you have one team full of experienced players and another with new and foreign(non-English speaking) players and the few experienced players saying F it and scunting around.

19. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Two options.

Learn English or GTFO.

20. ViroMan

They don't even have to learn all of english just the key words to pay attention too...

Defend/Attack : target/area/com
    go here
    Rev
    build/drop : ref/radar/VF/armory/barax/turret/RP : here
    "change class to" / "be a" : Rifleman/Engineer/Scunt/Grenadier

Not really alot of words that need to be understood. You can use those words to pretty much describe to anyone an objective/plan of action except com duties.