Is Commanding fun or not? Redux.

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by aaaaaa50, May 17, 2011.

1. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Kinda the same poll as last time here, but this one is starting about 19 months later.

Edit: I forgot to add the poll. Please delete this thread? :(

2. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

THE fails :)

3. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

No. /thread

4. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

i noticed that recent commanders do the crappiest research paths of getting paper mediums/heavies before anything.. i think almost every new commander has gone that research path. on resource low maps, that is like a death sentence.. you might be able to get away with it on stalemate or money.

5. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I did that the first time I had to command. Without previously memorizing the research tree, it can be hard to know which tree to use. I knew chassis were in Mech, so I clumsily went in that direction. I think someone eventually relieved me and we lost gracefully.

After that, I memorized the research tree. For better or worse, it's almost a prerequisite to command effectively. If you don't know the research tree, commanding is not fun.

6. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

since empires community, for the most part, is not too friendly/douces and the noobs are sometimes ignorant... not a very good combo lol. i see them play/command, then never see them again. you people hurt their feelings :o..

i lol'ed at when people troll/flame noob commanders, but i try to help with suggestions. i lol'ed when people troll/flamed that one 12 year old newbie.. i think his name was grimreaper, who had a zombie panic source clan tag.
    i tried to give him advice for research tech. lol, i guess it didnt work since he got banned from the server.

7. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

ppl should ease up on the rage and just tell the bad comms politely that biomg -> bioml -> HEcannon is a bad idea. no one responds to rage.

seriously had a comm do that yesterday, he got regen at least when we told him, but that game was over by then.

8. V3N0M

V3N0M Member

Basically, this is the relationship between commanders and everybody else:

1) Players bitch about how they need a commander

2) One guy volunteers to be the commander because everyone else wants to kill shit.

3) Players bitch about every mistake the commander makes, even though none of them wanted the job.

Scrub, rinse repeat

9. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Working on some features that should reduce rage for comms and players

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

im all for server admins telling me to decide myself who to ban for a lifetime. sadly vicki is too nice, id get rid of all the whiney wannabe vet-pussies - if they dont stop nagging they would need to go play on OC-server.

11. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I pretty much fall into that camp. I'll command if no one else ops-in, even if I don't feel like doing it or I think we are stacked just so the round isn't total fail.

My faction wins probably about a third of rounds that I comm, higher if the team I'm on has decent squad leaders. The better the team is the less the commander makes a difference IMHO, unless the commander is very good at herding noobs and micro managing. I often run out of ideas/caring quickly when noone does what I ask (stop APC rushing their turret farm and get refs, etc)

It doesn't really bother me if people bitch at me when I make a mistake, as long as they point out what it is. For the most part experienced players do give useful feedback even if they don't always do it very politely.

At the end of the day you can't get better if you don't practise and I try not to make the same mistake twice. Sometimes I enjoy commanding and sometimes its a chore, but it is always better than 15 people that have no forward spawns, refineries or research. A couple of rounds like that can empty a server.

It is very easy to disregard what new players say about you as commander, but it is annoying when experienced players that never command just call "failcomm" the whole round whilst they constantly APC rush the enemy base, or try to 9 mine the enemy CV just because they want to say they singlehandedly won the round.

Overall I think commanding is fun, with a good team when everyone is working together, doing what you ask and communicating back its great to see it all working from a birds eye view. But it is one of the most frustrating things you can do in Empires too.

12. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

commanding pubs is not fun, it's too bad cause commanding isnt really that hard, hopefully beerdude's stuff will help.

i bet 1 or 2 new tip messages for loading screens that specifically pertain to commanding would go a long way.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  13. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I definitely am looking forward to doodling boobies.

14. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Member

Commanding can be fun depending on what kind of person you are or what kind of team you have. personaly, i hate commanding..... because it takes me away from my Jeeps.....

15. -MEG- hobbes

-MEG- hobbes Member

Um I love commanding dearly. I might be back in a week!

16. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

empires, the only game with a weapon/research path to troll the other team.. plasma.

17. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

more like troll your own team. anyone who gets plasma needs another tank to get one with them and they stick together... otherwise its useless.

18. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

on a side note... I would LOVE to see someone go for plasma first and basicly stop those light tanks/afv dead in there tracks.