Introducing a tablet that has a larger display than your laptop!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by iMacmatician, Oct 29, 2015.

?

What is your ideal tablet display size? (pick the closest value)

1. 7" or smaller

10.0%
  2. 8"

10.0%
  3. 9"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 10" (similar size to A5 paper)

20.0%
  5. 12"

20.0%
  6. 14" (similar size to A4 and 8.5"x11" paper)

20.0%
  7. 18"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. [url=http://anandtech.com/show/9735/lenovo-yoga-900-series-launched]27"[/url] or larger

20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

Samsung has announced the Galaxy View, a new tablet with a 18.4" display. It's not the first extra-large tablet, but it's the first one I know of that resembles a normal tablet that has been stretched in terms of length and width.

[​IMG]

That display is much larger than the 12.9" iPad Pro's as well as all but a few laptops (there may be more). This thread's title won't apply to you in that case.

The volume of the Galaxy View is comparable to that of the current 15" MacBook Pro. Since the MBP weighs 2.04 kg (4.49 pounds), the Galaxy View is actually 0.61 kg (1.3 pounds) heavier. Also, the resolution seems quite low for a display so large; its PPI is slightly less than half that of the iPad Air, for example.

[​IMG]

Code:
                     Apple     Apple     Samsung      Apple            
                     iPad Air  iPad Pro  Galaxy View  15" MacBook Pro  

Long side (mm)  240       305.7      451.8       358.9
    Short side (mm)  170       220.6      275.8       247.1
     Thickness (mm)    7.5       6.9       11.9        18

Area (cm^2)  410       670       1250         890
      Volume (cm^3)  310       470       1480        1600
    Volume (liters)    0.31      0.47       1.48        1.6
    The Galaxy View comes with a handle and a kickstand, which I'm sure will be useful for a device of its size. Given its size and weight, it seems to me like it's a kind of "desktop replacement" tablet, where you set it in one place, use it for a length of time, and then pick it up mainly to move it to a completely separate place. None of the specs strike me as particularly high-end given what I know so far, so I think the price will be well within the triple digit range. If the price is right (< $400 or so), it'll occupy a clear niche below the touchscreen desktops in price and above (most) laptops and tablets in display size. I think that niche is very small in terms of the market though.

Source: AnandTech.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

eww screen reminds me of windows 8.

3. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Look man, it's okay. We understand.

We all know the reason you keep coming back here with info on the latest gadgets is so you can get McGyver to talk to you.

Edit: I have to wonder what possible market research made them decide to make this. Is there some untouched demand for rather large tablets? I suppose they'll corner whatever demand there is, but can't say that will be worth it. Maybe its intended as some kind of specialty product for those that want it.

4. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Which is a perfectly fine reason to post here, especially considering that iMac had to endure Spartacus' tech opinions for a long time and now craves for something more sophisticated.

Samsung doesn't have market research, they just make a lot of different products with specs all over the place and then look what actually sells. 18" display with a 1080p resolution, what is this, 2007?

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

too small for my taste <.<

6. Catface

Catface Member

Those stats are not very impressive.

7. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

I never understood the appeal of Android/iOS tablets at all.
    When you have a 5" phone and a 12" ultraportable Laptop already there is no niche where I though, uh if only I had a tablet for this or that right now. I do understand the appeal of Surface Tablets though since they can be a full desktop replacement.

8. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

>5700mAh
    >1080p @ 19"

[​IMG]

9. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Market research, lel. Have you even seen all of the devices that Samsung releases? The shear quantity boggles the mind, especially compared to the much tighter lineups of their competitors. It was only a matter of time before they released something like this.

10. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

When you put it that way... Even so, it just seems absurd to me that they release these things without a direct demand for them.

Also,
    [​IMG]

11. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

[​IMG]

12. ViroMan

star trek tablets started it all man.

13. McGyver

Yeah, and those were about 8 inch devices.

If only someone in this thread already said that, but it's ok, repeating my opinion in your own words is the first step to get an acquired taste in tech.

14. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

I'm beginning to think that the specs were deliberately kept fairly low in order to reduce the price. The Exynos 7580 that is rumored to be in the Galaxy View apparently consists of 8 A53's, so it's not high-end at all. Given that a low price would at least allow it to escape the price range of relevant Windows devices, I think that low specs + low price is preferable over high specs + high price.

But rumors also say it'll cost $600, and if that's true then I think it's too high in any case.

Back when I didn't have a smartphone, I considered getting an iPad as my handheld device that didn't have a tiny screen and could be used on the go. Now that I have a smartphone, I can only justify a tablet if it has good pen input, since that feature is both useful to me and is not present on any of my other computing devices. If I weren't in the Apple ecosystem I would already have a Surface Pro.

15. ViroMan

I justify my 10.2" tablet by using it to read for hours a day. It is such a relief to read on that rather then my phone (which was giving me eye strain). Reading while not at home, or in bed.

16. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

You obviously lack the shear communicative ability that allows your posts to be properly understood by english speakers. SHEAR!

17. McGyver

Great, you can be my assistant that translates my wisdom for the masses.