Insanely low performance on Cyclopean

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Thor, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Thor

Thor Member

For some reason, I'm getting 60-80 FPS on max on every map save cyclopean, where I'm getting 10 and the map is very choppy. Running on max settings and grade A hardware. Tried setting things down to medium on cyclopean and the performance is still the same. Bugs perhaps?

2. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

Consider yourself lucky, I get 30 FPS on every map and thats when nobody is on my screen and I'm looking at the ground, and I still manage to kick ass.

But for cyclopean I think the smoke in the middle is a FPS killer.

3. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I've got the same problem with cyclopean: other maps are fine (mat_antialias 0, mat_bumpmap 0, mat_specular 0) but on cyclopean I have 10-15 fps. I'm not sure if I didn't have almost decent fps there for few seconds but generally it's fucking slow for me. I have Ati Radeon X600 Mobility (sure it isn't best gfx card but it isn't *that* bad)

4. arklansman

arklansman Member

I only get bad fps in the trees. (which have alpha channel issues BTW)

I did find this though.
    [​IMG]
    An unsewn displacement. *gasp*

5. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

When BE and I'm at the middle of the bridge towards the city, my ping drops to 1-3. Absolutely daft.

6. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

Hello and good day!

Does this happen with nobody in the server (No other players/buildings)? If so, then the poor frame rate can be attributed to the world and not the high number of players. If it happens when you load the map up alone, then it is probably the smoke in the middle or perhaps the water. Does it happen when you look away from the smoke? Try getting in the water and looking up at the smoke, then looking down at the water and see which hits you worse. I am working on a new version. I'd like it if any people who are having problems
    with frame rates on this map would download this new version to see if it is any better. I cant log into the FTP at this time, so if anyone is interested in getting the .bsp via email drop me a line at halbalbador@gmail.com. Thanks.

7. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

I think the fog is there in order to give you a higher fps number. Why that? Cause it enables the engine to dropp polies hidden behind the fog. If it would not work like this, your grafic card had to draw nearly the eniter map. And this will result in a low fps count.
    You can check if the fog is working correctly by turning sv_cheats and the wireframes on. (I dont know the exact command for this but you will find it with the following line in you console: find wireframe )
    If you c wireframes stemming from behind the fog its not working like it should.
    Im pretty sure that this is only depending on the mapfile.
    But i learned to be not 100% sure about something....

8. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

They are talking about the volumetric fog over the lake, the clouds of smoke. Not the fog that cuts off the map... thats good.

9. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I get a constant 60 FPS on most maps, but on some others, not only Cyclopean, I get a constant 16 FPS, that's when alone staring at the ground, or amidst hell reigning down.

10. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

Would you be interested in testing the new version?

Also, what other maps do you get bad performance on?

11. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I was playing the server by my lonesome when it was taken down, so yeah I want to play. D:

Also: that map with the ruins in the desert, and emp_streetsoffire. Not that it was lagging, just getting low FPS and the occasional spike.

12. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

psh, I get 10 fps anywhere I go on any map, must be the vapourware

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I don't get bad performance anywhere on your maps.

14. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Must say I've never had this problem, although I would suspect that it's caused by the fog particles over the water, like someone else said. There is a command, which I forget what it's called, but it shows the amount of time the engine spends on various things. It would be helpful, If only I could remember what it was called... :P

15. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

+showbudget

16. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Damn you solokiller, you couldn't wait a few more minutes so I could show off my knowlege of the engine? :p

17. Caelo

Caelo Member

meh or for me to say it :P

18. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

So I am very interested in testing this new version of the map BEFORE the next release candidate. Anyone with bad performance interested in seeing if this new version fixes the problem?

19. Caelo

Caelo Member

I have bad performance too :D
    seriously, I should never encounter low fps on 1280x1024 4MSAA 4x aniso HDR witha 8800GTS, but since the new patch I have had troubles with fps decrease and occasional drops to 5fps :/

20. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

I'm in the process of getting Krenzo to host the map so everyone can see if the new version improves performance. Will post here whenever ready.