Infiltrator 7, Hardcore hiking edition!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by blizzerd, Feb 24, 2010.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

if this crashes and burns, im really really sorry i wasted everyone's time and we can call it quits pre-emptively if people think it sucks

still, i put a lottttt of time in it, even did complex mathematical simulations in dwarves fortress and i hope it works...

----

RULES, STILL MESSY!

binoculars - larger vision, can attack 1 player per round, no ammunition needed
    rock - can attack 1 player per round, no ammunition needed, always used when not having a weapon ("picked up" when in fight and dropped afterwards)
    knife - can attack 1 player per round, silenced, no ammunition needed
    pistol - can attack 1 player per round
    silenced pistol - can attack 1 player per round, silenced
    rifle - can attack as many different players as it has ammo
    water bottle - Contains 5 units of water, -1 per day
    large water bottle - contains 7 units of water, -1 per day

weapon kill hierarchy

rifle 6
    silenced pistol 5
    pistol 4
    knife 3
    binoculars 2
    rock 1

RULES OF COMBAT

you assign a target or targets (depending on weapon) trough PM, and when the day ends i check who wins

how i do this:

1 ATTACKER VS 1 DEFENDER
    i check what weapon they have to defend themselves and what weapon you have to attack (in both cases the strongest weapon is chosen if someone has 2 weapons for some reason
    if you are the only one attacking your enemy, i will compare the levels of both you and your enemy's weapon (see weapon kill hierarchy)
    if your weapon is of a higher level then your enemy, i will compare the levels as a fracture, being:

attacker/defender

this fracture is the chance you kill your enemy

if both you and your target have only rocks to defend themselves, the fracture is 1/1 the attacker wins 100%, due to the advantage of bashing his enemies skull in out of nowhere
    if the defender has the rifle, and you have a rock it ends quite differently, the fracture becomes 1/6, being 1 chance out of 6 that the attacker succeeds in killing the enemy,
    binoculars vs pistol fracture is 2/4 (or 1/2, 50%), knife vs rock is 3/1 (or 1/1, 100%)

+1 ATTACKERS VS 1 DEFENDER
    if 2 people both target (with separate pm's, i dont want anyone pm'ing for someone else) someone in the same day (unintended double kill, or intended "teaming up") the defender always dies, and both attackers live
    this to 1: keep this simple, and prevent over complex RPG and 2: to promote coorporation

note: the rifle can attack more players in 1 day, BUT can only attack the same player once, so if you have 3 people with 1 of them having a rifle, the maximal "team up" attacks can be 2 people
    (rifle targets person A and B, accomplice X targets person A, Accomplice Y targets person B, ending in both A and B ending up guaranteed dead)
    i repeat; the rifle can NOT attack the same person twice in a day

1 ATTACKER VS +1 DEFENDERS
    some weapons allow attacking more then 1 person per day, in this case each of these attacks count as a "1 attacker vs 1 defender" in the order that you gave them to me in your PM,
    but for each additional person you target, your chance on success on each individual is lowered by 1/6th with a cap of 1/6th chance
    if you die half way trough, the remaining attack orders are NOT executed

END OF FIGHT

after a fight is over, i will attend the winner that he won, and what items the loser was carrying
    the winner gets a chance to "pick up" these items the dead person was carrying, if the winner does this, the fight becomes known as "person A could be seen examining the dead corpse of person B"
    if the winner does not pick up any items from that person, the story will tell about the person that lost the fight to have
    "probably been hit by a heat stroke somewhere along today's hike and left for dead unnoticed" and no info will be released about the winner

if the winner was using a "silenced" weapon, the fight never becomes known, and the story will tell something similar as if the winner did not pick up the losers item, even if he did

AMMUNITION
    i subtract 1 "ammo" from your weapon per successful target kill, if you are out of ammo, your weapon becomes "unusable" (but remains in your inventory) until you procure more ammunition
    (if you kill someone with ammo, if someone gives you some... w/e)
    note: rocks are the weapon used when no other weapon is available so in effect you can always attack even when out of ammo (so when owning a rifle, but not having ammo for it you resort to using a rock)

ammunition cannot be dropped, if you want to drop (destroy) a gun for whatever reason (picking up something else while inventory is full), you keep the ammunition with you

INVENTORY

each person has a 2 slot inventory, EVERY item requires 1 inventory slot, this basically comes down to "the player can only carry 2 items" (simple heh?)

I will keep track of what you are carrying, and will attend you when;

you are running out of water
    you have the chance to pick up/swap an item

when you take a dead persons water, his water supply is used to try and fill all the water bottles you ether had, or newly claimed
    so when you kill person B, and he ends up having a water bottle

when you do not respond before the next day starts i will not change anything
    (so the kill is made on day A, i send pm of victory and items at the end of day A, if by the end of day B you have not decided if you want to pick up stuff,
    no changes are made to your inventory even if you have a spot open or are in urgent need of water or w/e)

TRAVEL
    Each dot on the map is a camp location, travelling between 2 camps ALWAYS takes up 1 day (so the less camps have to be travelled over for a certain distance, the faster you can move/less days pass for the distance travelled)
    there are special dots, these are revealed when the group comes near them (i will post an updated "view distance" at the start of each day

gray dots are mild danger, these camps are passed on average without deaths (dehydration excluded)
    orange dots are average danger, these camps are passed with an average 1 death or bad thing happening to the group
    red dots are heavy danger, these camps are passed with a few people dying or at least very bad stuff happening to the group

the group cannot split up

the group has the entire day to majority vote what direction they "supposedly took" (since the end of the vote in the sotry is the end of the hike to that location ^^
    i will present a map with camps where people can select the next camp to walk to from

SURVIVAL

head north on the map, there are different end points, some are more beneficial for some groups, all of them "end" the game and make at the very least "someone" win
    it is to be expected that shorter paths include more danger
    the map has a desert background, generally white areas contain more danger (open sandy dry area's) then darker coloured areas (rocky more chance on shadows etc) this not a set rule though
    each day, you drink 1 unit of water out of your water bottle (if carried)
    if you do not have at least 1 unit of water on hands, you will die when the next day starts (unless you arrive at a camp with a water source,
    or "somehow" procure more water before the next day starts, for example... killing someone with a filled water bottle?)

if you die from dehydration, your items are lost forever, and can not be recovered by anyone

DAYS OF OUR LIVES

every day at 12.00 CET i will "end" the day, or the day will end without notice (if im late... assume the day ends and a new day started, any action sent to me BEFORE 12.00 CET will have happened "yesterday")
    when a new day starts, be sure to send attacks if you want to as soon as possible, this enables both me and you more time to respond and think about your next action!

EXTRA

there are no roles, there is only equipment and characters!
    additionally everyone is suffering from amnesia, so they dont rember who they are
    i will give you a partial identity, basic equipment and goals and will reveal more and more each day for each and every one of you personally
    also equipment can be found on RUBBLE SITES

i composed the above out of 4 files while cutting out all the spoilers, i hope i covered everything
    only 1 way to find out i guess

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

[​IMG]

this is the map, grey dots are camps, numbers are used to identify wich one you are talking about (note that the numbering starts again at the top, it shouldn't be a problem since its only really needed as "what point do we go to next?" but if you really need to you can speak of "1 bottom and 1 top" for example

players

1. Brutos
    2. Hygrom
    3. aaaaaa50
    5. Predominance
    6. Kane
    7. Foxy
    8. Scardy
    9. Ikalx
    10. Kylegar
    11. God_Hand
    12. Empty
    13. Mageknight
    14. Vulkanis
    15. Recon
    16. Z1000000M
    17. cloud
    18. complete
    19. nattaboy
    20. Aeoneth
    21. Fricken Hamster

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

22sth of november, unknown time - Brenodi secret service headquarters

some random secret service meeting is overheard:

General we have the report, its conclusive, the assassination attempt is going to happen.

i didnt ask to do the whole rapport over just to see if its going to happen... is HE behind it?

Yes sir, he is

Well, this is a delicate matter... we cannot... how certain are we?

Very certain sir, according to our intelligence the bomb is already on the move

[silence]

i see, we cannot allow this thing to happen... at any cost! do you understand me?

Yes sir, we have it under control sir, we will make an example of him, our agents are ready to step in at your command

ready to step in? how do you mean step in? this is a... Are we even talking about the same person? you are talking about... [yelling] Do you want to arrest a person like that publicly? are you mad? ... no, this is what you will do, you will make it look like an accident he has to transport in does he? well... make sure that ship does not reach its destination... im counting on you to show some more leadership though... maybe putting a politician in charge of the secret service wouldn't be a bad idea after all... those people understand that some things should not be public... once you get a leash on them that is...

Anyway, excused...

Yes sir

---

3th of december, 18.32h SBT - Civilian Convoy 6879 convoy-leader cockpit

This is civilian personnel convoy 6879 en route for Bren,
    navigator bringing status, I'm seeing things on my local radar, 3 small ships flying on our altitude and speed roughly 5K behind us but not showing up on the flight planning nor responding to radio, please confirm over-

[radio crackles again] Negative cpc 6879, there isn't a fly besides you guys in that desert, do you want to report a UFO? over-

[silence among the crew]

well? do we captain? could be faulty equipment...

...are you insane? ...tsk

Negative ground command, we do not. Must be a glitch. over-

---

3th of december, 12.02h SBT - Trans-con Areal Shipyard H hangar

Mom, do we have to wait any loooonger? im bored... i wanna go home!

it wont be long dear, our ship is...

[audiocom] PASSENGERS FOR CONVOY 6879 PLEASE BOARD AT HANGAR H ENTRANCE 2, I REPEAT PASSENGERS FOR CONVOY 6879 PLEASE BOARD AT HANGAR H ENTRANCE 2

...ready now so it seems, come on we don't want to miss it or well have to wait all that time again and we don't want that do we?

---

5 hours ago - H hangar, Ship 2

Do you have the speeches?

yes Sir, i packed them in our luggage, next to the wooden crate, now i recall it you never told me what was in that wooden-

...Walter you know i like to rehears them when we have to fly!

but sir, the conference with the queen isn't for another full day after we arrive, just relax... you have been so stressed out all week, are you sure you are all-right have you had those stomach problems lately again?

Did mom talk to you again about my food? i am a grown man... an elected representative of the people for queens sakes...

---

2th of december, roughly 15.00h SBT - Trans-con Areal Shipyard entrance

So, did you...

Did i what?

you know... "came to terms"

?

... "said goodbye to your family" ... anything like that? it could be that we end up being locked away for quite a while...

The queen is my family, and i will see her in the afterlife, besides you should be more professional.. we signed contracts not to talk about that to anyone... mission first "remember"

don't tell me your one of th-

yes, yes i am, now shush and do your job

---

3sth of december, 12.47h SBT - Ship 3 in flight

[whispering] i repeat, mission failed, target boarded and-

-you fucking idiot, you should have checked it, double checked it TRIPPLE CHECKED IT... on the fucking wrong ship... you fucking-

[whispering with clenched teeth] keep your god-damn voice down, or il resume the mission with you as the target...

i repeat mission failed, convoy is on the move, i repeat convoy is on the move and target is intact

---

3sth of december, 14.22h SBT - Civilian Convoy 6879 ship2 cockpit

seems convoy leader is having engine trouble...

Come in convoy leader, whats your status?

...no reply... it seems our radio is... down somehow

what Sir... look... what is that? those-

what the hell, ITS HEADING RIGHT AT US!

[beeping alerts]

engine 2 malfunctio- correction, engine 1 to 3 total failure

we are flying on 1 engine? call in support, DROP THE CARGO BAY

SIR, WE ARENT TRANSPORTING CATTLE OR GOODS... THERE ARE PEOPLE IN THERE... REAL PEO-

DO IT GOD-DAMMIT, FOLLOW THE PROCEDURES

---

Present day, 8th of december, unknown time, somewhere around dawn

The survivors find themselves in a large passenger bay dropped from low altitude at high speed, its is damaged pretty bad and the only reason why a peculiar smell isn't driving them out of it is the intensity of the sun
    the air plane it was attached to seems to have exploded mere seconds after detatchment, debree is litterally everywhere

the survivors waited a couple of days, but no help arrived, there were no aircraft's even
    flying over them while normally this would be considered a standard flying route

the people still alive are part of a convoy that crashed in total somewhere in a desert area, survivors are few
    all of them have memory loss, they do not know who they are or why they are here, only the last few minutes in the air plane before crash are remembered by some
    the wounded are laid in shelter of the rubble, the dead to dry in the sun

a group of fit survivors are going to try and reach civilisation, to do this they know they need to head north
    supplies are packed and a map was found and analysed

the map are possible routes

the green dots are points of rescue, be it small villages or whatever

the "0" (white) is the crash site where the survivors landed

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

DAY 0

a little bit exploring revealed the possible viability of routes north

[​IMG]

the players need to vote for a first move on the map, after the first move is made we will proceed with the rest of the game
    the small circle is the normal view distance

the large circle is the view distance of anyone having a binoculars (i pm them the map with the large view each day)

5. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

I don't get it ... are we just s'posed to kill each other for water and then decide where to move next together?
    Just asking ...:confused:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the whole amnesia business gives me time to roll out the objectives

i have to do too much in a too short timespan on the first day

every player will get a unique win/lose objective over time, some players will have shared or overlapping objectives some will have contradicting objectives

if you don't really have an objective yet, your objective will come to you in due time, and surviving is the objective at hand :) (sorry guys, but those PMs sending is a hell, i will spread objective designation out over the first 5 days im sending you your equipment by pm now

people can kill you for this, so i suggest you treat it as you would treat your roles in emptie's infiltrator

7. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

blizz, i have to admit, you fail at giving a clear and understandable goal

give me some time to process all that s

also , lol @ the mathematical simulations in DF

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  8. God_Hand

God_Hand Member

My apologies. I'll say I was trolling, even though I clearly was flaming.

Let's get it on!

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the reason why i wanted to do this is because i do not agree with the fact that those rules and playstyle (clues in story, etc etc) is the best way to do it

there are no clues in the story

now vote for a path, you have till 12.00 CET (that's 12 hours from now, after that all the days will resume normal 24 hour timeliness, this first day has been chaos :3

10. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I vote 7!

Also, I think we should go for 29 because it is prime.

11. Mageknight

Mageknight Member

I think we should give Blizzerd's version a chance. It could be a nice break from Empty's rules.

I also think we should go to 7 and ultimately 29. It's a pretty direct route, although I'm sure the GM's going to make it hard on us.

12. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

filler

13. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

I died inside when he tried to explain the game to me and then I tried to write his story. Good lord it was a nightmare. It broke me :( (I didn't write it in the end, so fucking confusing).

14. Hygrom

Hygrom Member

I vote 7 as well.
    Also, I love teh map :D, its nicely laid out and everything.

15. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

7s.

If we start to run out of water (ie, less then half) leg it for the water source! :p

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

No guys, listen. He said rubble sites have equipment, now I sure as hell don't know how to play this game, but in stuff like this, the GM is most likely expecting us to have a dig around a bit. In a real scenario you would too - I mean, there's a water source nearby, so we should raid the rubble sites, go back for water and then continue on to 7.

Even if we go straight to 14, that's 2 weeks of a game guys. I've seen this go down before when at the end of a long haul or a failed game, the GM goes "oh, well I wasn't expecting you to go straight there..." or something. At least, let's get armed and maybe watered up so we can survive one week.

And hell, it doesn't matter if a couple of us die, it'll just make it easier.

I vote we go to 2 (or 6, it doesn't really matter).

Edit: It's probably true that paths will have stuff on them, but it'd be more interesting to try this - if the GM's put it there, odds are, it's for a reason and usually at the start like this, to help you.

17. Aeoneth

Aeoneth Member

agree with scavenging... if we get a rifle we can get some weapons/ larger waterbottles then we'll be able to last longer out there

18. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

I say we go down the 6 path, both because it is a water path and because it's a water source and it has the rubble site. Just looking at the map, this game is definitely going to last long, so I say we explore the area around the crash site a little bit first before going out. There may even be one of the "special locations" around here, if we're lucky. I don't have binoculars, so I'm just guessing, but it seems kind of strange that #5 is a "mild danger" place, yet apparently leads nowhere and is a dead end. Since they're a water source there, I say exploring down there should be (hopefully) safe.

I vote 6. If everyone wants to, we can go to 7 after fairly easily. Obey my logic! :rolleyes: jk. :p

19. God_Hand

God_Hand Member

OK. Now that I've read the rules, I'm ready to stop trolling. It actually doesn't seem that hard now. The game, not stopping trolling. Here we go.

Cross was staring intently at the group of survivors that were negotiating. It had been 5 days since the crash, if he recalled correctly, but he wasn't even completely sure of that. He wasn't sure of anything at the moment, save for the facts that he was stranded in a desert, and it was very, very hot.

He couldn't understand the survivors' language (it seemed much more blocky than his, with all sorts of contradictions and slang thrown in), but from their body language, he could tell they were preparing to head north.

He thought them insane. There was water to the southeast, not far from their current location. Surely it would make more sense to get water before trying to head north. This desert was hellishly hot, and without water, they would die in a heartbeat. He knew what he had to do now.

He approached the group of survivors, who broke conversation on his entrance. Apparently, they were expecting Cross to say something crazy in his foreign tongue. Instead, he said nothing. He simply pointed towards where the group had scouted out a water source earlier, then held up SIX fingers.

I vote to move towards SIX. No water = we die. Fast.

Also, do we have to all move as a group?

20. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

FYI, unless, you actually say "I vote to go to 6," we aren't going there. :(