Infantry research + infantry/tank balance

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Roflcopter Rego, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

Problem: Infantry stands no chance in late game, makes it boring for those without tanks ect. RPG research is too anoying to research, too little effect ect.

Benefits to infantry firepower and aggressive capabilities become researchable, by being stuck on to other researches. Things that are stuck on to things that are very good options (eg. reactive armour) would have negligable effects. Very poor research options (eg. regen armour) would have very noticable effects. Values do stack, but are fixed values and not percentages (20% damage + 20% damage = 140% original, not 144%). List of possible effects below* ^:

Physics:
    Projectile physics; Increased RPG speed
    Reflective armour; Increased riflemen damage
    ER cannon; Increased light arms fall off range
    HCALMG; Increased HMG & shotgun damage, HMG damages tanks
    Plasma MG; HMG does heat to vehicles
    Plasma cannon; Increased heat from explosives, extends sticky stun time
    Nuke warhead; Increased RPG damage
    Fision engine; Increaded explosive damage

Chemistry:
    Absorbant armour; Increased speed
    Advanced coolant; Decreased reload
    UML; Increased RPG damage
    HE shells; increased mortar splash
    Nades; Increased explosive & sticky nade damage
    Ex. tipped bullets; HMG damages tanks

Mechanical:
    Gas turbine; Decreased spawn time
    Composite; Increased speed

Electrical:
    Reactive; Bullets hitting riflemen have a chance to do less/no damage
    Upg turret 2; Engi turrets take less time to upgrade to lvl 2
    Upg turret 3; Engi turrets take less time to upgrade to lvl 2 (stacked), less time to upgrade to lvl 3
    Homing missiles; Improved RPG speed
    Guided missiles; Improved RPG speed
    3 Phase engine; Increased engi calc speed (NOT repaired units per energy)
    Rail gun; Improved RPG damage

Biology:
    Regenerative armour; Infantry regenerates health (as ever, stacks with regen upg. + engi lead aura)
    Bio-diesel engine; Increases clip size for non-explosive weapons, increased max ammo for RPG + mortar
    Biological MG; Bullets have a chance to initiate bio effect (inf only). HMG can damage vehicles
    Biological missile; Explosives have a chance to initiate bio effect

The suggestion here is mostly the implementation of infantry upgrades being stuck to current research items, the effects described for each item is just to show what could be done, feel free to add anything more interesting to any item. I havn't used values because it is too tempting to place them too high, but as a general rule, the effects of expensive researches will be greater than that of cheaper ones (both res and time). Not all items are for infantry vs tanks, some are for infantry vs infantry. I also wanted to do a bit more in adding the rifleman as a sort of attrition anti-tank class with the MG weapons, these damges are not for riflemen to take out tanks alone, but so they may provide so support against vehicles as well as infantry, seeing as grens will get benefits against infantry even though they are anti-tank.

*Exact values left out for future balance. Effects stay the same. One day it might be all the rage to get bio diesel and absorbant, after all.

^ All references to weapons are infantry only. HMG is riflemen HMG, explosives are nades + mortar.

2. Omega_K2

Omega_K2 Member

HMG of doom/rev. Deathlazor.v2. Explosive, Bio, Overheat vs tanks <3

No, but I actually like infantry bonuses. I just feel this will be hard to balance especially since you not only have to blance the tank improvement, but also the infantry improvemnet.

3. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

i love this

4. Morcam

Morcam Member

You've got some decent ideas here, even if some of them don't make much sense (rifleman damage for reflective armor?). However, I would prefer there be separate research for the infantry. Put them in higher tiers, and then infantry becomes a legitimate unit, instead of an addition to tanks.

I can see how an infantry only player would want this type of increase, but really, giving the commander a chance to evaluate the situation and research what is needed for that would be much more intuitive.

5. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Making the infantry weapons better against infantry isnt going to help the mod

6. OuNin

OuNin Member

I don't want to give infantry a free ride to being inherently more powerful. At most, there should be a research system parallel to vehicle research. So, you would have both of them going on at the same time.

With vehicles, you customize and purchase them such that the player can use it effectively in combat. I'd rather not have ubermensch running around the battlefield. Infantry research should be an investment, not a tacked-on feature. I would prefer a system kind of like Natural Selection where infantry always spawn with basic equipment which can be supplemented with purchased weapons and tools. Alternatively, when players earn squad points, the numerical value should be added to a pool from which the commander can exclusively buy infantry upgrades.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  7. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

using squad points for buying inf upgs is a good ,wait ,awesome idea, but in early game you get only few of them :(

not like com should use the squad pts, just gaining a squad point would give the com 1 veterancy point (:P) to get upgrades

edit: also, promotes teamwork, huzzah

8. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

I tried to make this the reverse, tank researches that are clearly better will have clearly worse infantry bonuses. I stress that these upgrades will be slight. also with the HMG, you've just spent about 15 minutes researching whats basicly the same thing for your tank weapons, and from this you've gotten an impressive infantry weapon. This was sort of intended, and you'd only see this happening very late game and in stale mate - surely you want to start pushing things on at this point?

If I'm understanding correctly what you mean, separate research will absolutely not work as shown by adv RPG. It might be quite useful but if it's researched 1/100 games I'd be surprised, no ones willing to compromise on tanks. If you mean have 2 parallel trees, that might work. I just feel that getting the balance will be hard, as well as low resource maps - infantry will still be compromised. also I copped out on the imagination front, it's not easy though. Also, there isn't much to evaluate. Notice there is only 1 defensive bonus, and I'm not particularly happy with it. Do you want more powerful guns. yes. well then get anything you want, it's all basicly the same!

Otherwise you are left with super RPGs, mega mortars and a lulpwn HMG. I just wanted something to pad things out a bit more, but bonuses to mines and more bonuses to nades and mortar in replacement would be fine I guess, feel free to ctrl-c my tree and edit it to what you'd prefer. Remember this is also to add another feature, not just a stupendously elaborate bug fix.

Ounin, I don't want to see weapons restricted, restricting features is not a good way for a mod to go. Squad points for a separate research tree is definitely an interesting one. This could mean that one cohesive squad could give their team a massive advantage, but I don't know, maybe that's a good thing. Also, the whole point of this is that, whilst not entirely free, it is definitely a ride to being more powerful, it goes parallel to the coaster that the tank research is on, so that infantry isn't left to the merry-go-round when the tank research is approaching orbit.

Just thinking about the squad points, I'd almost like to see this do more, but different. They are already spent on 1 hit wonders, so why not allow for another option, to give people spawning in that squad other benefits, more like the infantry upgrades. I don't want to put too much in the hands of the com, he has afterall got the job of commanding to do and it can get pretty hectic as it is, but spreading this out over squad leaders would be fine. remember I'm suggesting subtle effects only with the research, these could be much more noticable, but reserved for those that actually work as a unit, instead of overly rewarding complete nubcakes that go round megapwning behind the lines with their uber-scout rifle. I'd also want to see these as an evolvement over the game, perhaps infinate upgrades following something like the inverse square law (getting n times the benefit is kn^2 as expensive, so cost goes 4,9,16,25 (or 8, 18, 32...) whilst the actual upgrades just go 2,3,4,5,) so you can't spam upgrades as much, unless you're going into a really long match with hundreds of squad points and need a gamebreaker.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  9. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I like that

10. Bishop Gantry

Bishop Gantry Member

Infantry already have general and class skills, expand on that first...

11. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

But add skill into that: Vets gaining lots of points in squad = rape
    noobs running around not in squad = GG.

12. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

except it forces those noobs to actually work in the squads and gain some game exp

there could be NS style system ,if your team is too much behind, you get some vet points to get upgrs so you wont be that much behind

13. willvette

willvette Member

over all i like the idea of com researched infantry upgrades for all classes, not like now where only the grenadier has com upgrades