infantry "pick up" revive

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by OuNin, Mar 7, 2015.

1. OuNin

OuNin Member

all infantry should have the capability to bring back friendlies (by using +use probably), but with limited health, like 5 hp. in effect you would be 'picking up' your friends from the fight, etc.

in a lot of the infantry combat there's an extreme dependence on engineer's revive skill to maintain the pace of combat. this is cool, but in play instances where you don't have an engineer and you get picked off, you're totally SOL.

having a light revive for all classes keeps the pace of combat moving as well as fosters communication between players. so it's not just dummies hopping around and dying when an engineer isn't around and to make staying alive and saving tickets a meaningful action.

this has the potential to creating "revive chains" like with engineer but with the health restriction to like 5%, players can do this only so many times until you have a total decay in the average HP between the reviving players

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Mmm, I almost want to say it'd be better to make it so engy can't do this, only because they would get heal upgrade which gives them the ability to zap like 4 people back to full health instead of 2. That's my immediate concern.

I want to say it could mean tons of wages for an enemy tank driver, just constantly farming a squad that doesn't have an engy and don't know when to give up. Might be nice though, I can't tell really.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  3. OuNin

OuNin Member

people almost never get heal upgrade anyway, so that would be an interesting new spread of the skills. of course if this change was implemented, that would be something to be looked at.

I agree that somehting would have to change to heal upgrade and possibly to the recharge rate/heal level of engineer revive

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

so you cant kill the engi reviving anymore? no

5. OuNin

OuNin Member

simply put: all infantry should have a limited revive at the cost of adjusting engineer's revive skill

6. flasche

but you always kill the guy with the calc first. and if you make it so that its absolutely no use in combat by letting it work similar to defusal you still give a significant advantage to the winning faction which in terms of empires could (and probably would) mean that maps are decided even faster then currently with even less options for combacks. without an engi the push basically is over, youll either run out of ammo or health. but if you can bring your engi back on demand what stops you? even if he gets a vehicle in a close base it takes a bit of time. time is valueable.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  7. OuNin

OuNin Member

because the pick-up revive only brings you up with so little health, there's a natural decay that happens in the engagementwhere if you're losing, you'll just keep losing health among your squad until you die

the fundamental problem as-is is that the calculator charges while the engineer is dead which would cause what you're talking about. that would naturally need to be dealt with.

obv solutions involve: making calculator not charge while engineer is dead, reducing the % health you get from engineer revive\

8. Lazybum

Wait really? I remember having almost no charge after being revived if I was doing something.

Any case what flasche said makes a lot of sense, there's been tons of times where my squad stopped moving because I died and it took awhile to get back. Still, it isn't like anyone can heal the engineer, but it isn't hard for him to stay out of fire either.

9. OuNin

OuNin Member

that's what I think happens since I can do revives basically one after the other when I get revived. I could be wrong.

but yeah I can see that the squad pacing is tied to the presence of the engineer and I think that's kind of a bad thing and we can afford to decentralize reviving in a squad. like even if people revive the engineer, they'll only have so much health. then (with adequate adjustments to eng skill revive), you'll see a decay in avg health among the squad until you finally end up killing all of them

so yeah it's fair to say that this isn't doable with the current 100% health engineer revive, but I want to let you think about Empowering more infantry while also strongly considering changing how eng skill revive works

10. Lazybum

It sounds like the way you want this to work is make it so every time people get revived they lose something like 10% of their max health, unable to exceed it til they go to a barracks or use a health box. It isn't just a case of nerfing the revive skill, it's about nerfing the healing part too if you want anyone to revive.

I remember ikalx constantly bringing up the ability for infantry to heal each other, as in people not engineers. The bonus here is that a dead engy is a dead engy yet a squad can still try to hold out in a situation they probably couldn't otherwise.

11. OuNin

OuNin Member

I mean the way it would function is if you have two people, one dead and one alive at 100%, that's an average of 50% health between the two people. +use revive would bring the other back for an average of 52.5. now if someone shoots the other person, the average goes down drastically until that person is dead.

now if that 5% person revives the other, they s imply have 5% average health between them and it's a dynamic that's not sustainable. it empowers infantry who aren't revive engineers but it doesn't inherently result in a chain of revives. when an engineer is involved, this dynamic changes, but of course for +use revives to work fairly, you would have to look at tweaking the skill

so in short, this lets people hold out who ordinarily wouldn't be able while also having its own functional limits

12. Lazybum

Right, the thing is when you can revive the engineer who then maxes out everyone else. This is the point flasche was talking about. I do suppose you can nerf healing upgrade to go along with it though, that's why I keep bringing it up, but even if it was only twice the rate it still won't take much time to heal up a few people.

These statistics you come up with kinda fall apart when it comes to engineers healing. Sure for everyone else it works, but that doesn't work over all. A lot of this game is like that, it falls apart due to one part.

13. OuNin

OuNin Member

I don't think that people get eng heal skill anyway also it works at the cost of mobility (ie you can explode the whole stationary team, which is good tactics) but yeah I think dismissing this based on heal skill is silly since most of these mechanics can be adjusted

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Your biggest problem is if someone revives an engy. Then everything is fooked. Balance goes to all hell.

Your main way of dealing with that is to make this revive a limited thing, or something that takes a long time to do. Both have pros and cons.

Also, don't argue about health upgrade so much, just remove it (in this case). Default heal is pretty fast anyway.

5% health also is a bad idea simply because it'll encourage farming. A limited revive ability though, means you can sidestep that a little and give a bit more health.

I was thinking loadouts of syringes traded for the secondary weapon, but actually it might work better if you had a skill where every 3 minutes you could revive someone with 50% health. With time lag in between it, someone could still wipe you out, but it would essentially mean that if you came across someone or had a partner in the field you could revive them and continue once the skirmish had died down. If there were still enemies around you'd die the second time around for sure though.

Something that would be cool, but totally undoable in src empires would be if your remaining health was split to revive someone. Big drawback, but still worth it :p

15. Lazybum

I'm not sure why that'd be undoable, unless you mean it wouldn't work with how the game plays? I do think that's a neat idea though. It helps prevent farming which I do think could be a problem of sorts with the 5% and it also means people won't be reviving all the time due to the risk, or in some cases certain knowledge, the guy you revive is gonna be dead in 2 seconds.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  16. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Kill someone -> intentionally let engineer revive him -> kill both of them, you get 3 points/kills and the first victim is dead for another 10 seconds.

I've been doing this constantly and I swear 5 hp revive will be a disaster.

How about we make it this way :
    Give every class a first aid kit with only one charge, including engis that don't have revive.
    It'll revive people with 50 hp but the process takes 3 seconds. You can only refill the charge at armory.

But there's an obvious downside.
    Newbs will probably assume that this is the only form of revive and not noticing the actual revive skill. Or they might confuse them...etc

While I am at it, this sounds like something Candles will NOT implement.

17. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

security, I am sure I have seen that exact idea before and it was shot down... or rather ignored.

18. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Most of the suggestions got ignored. I am rather used to it.

19. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Flasche honestly I think +90 percent of the players including me dont shoot engies first but shoot the thing they see first or shoot the thing thats shooting you. If you can choose between 3 targets that arent watching you, yes you'll shoot engi first but thats barely the case in the majority of the fights.

also this suggestions is shit cause engi wont be picked anymore. Litterally no reason except base bitching. Healing people is too slow and static. Revive engies can just run past you, pick you up, run away.

I'll agree on having all units having a pick up skill. But engies should automaticly have revive then

20. flasche

after you repeatedly killed whatever came at you and its still not down yet, you sure go for the engi.

btw the way i see it, id rather give all classes a rpg launcher to close the huge enourmous gigantic gap between infantry and tanks.
    but whatever, lets just continue looking at the various sides empires has completely disconnected from eachother - quite obviously this works out perfectly anyway ...

... i mean empires has the best fucking tank combat ever :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015