Increase vehicle passenger slots on tanks

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by GoodGame, Jan 13, 2009.

1. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

Ok, I did an obligatory forum search and there's no mention of changing the number of passengers allowed in a tank.

So here it is: Up the number of passenger slots in medium and heavy tanks from 2 to either 3 or 4.

Reasoning: More of the squad can stick together that way. The tank can get stacked with more vehicle skills that the diverse classes have (Scout's vehicle skill, Rifleman's vehicle skill, etc..).

Pros: More squad-play/crew-play, squads sticking together. Vehicle skills get more use.
    Cons: Vehicle skills may be overpowered when stacked (though a little mitigated by the fact that they are chosen over non-vehicle skills).

Possible modifier---if this is to powerful via stacking skills, then have a diminishing returns where either the skills' bonuses are lowered (say by half) when stacked, or limit the vehicle skills to the first N slots (i.e. vehicle might carry 4 crew, but only the first 2 slots contribute their vehicle bonuses, etc..) This might be an alternative way of balancing vehicle skill stacking = overkill (if it does equal overkill).

Realism: Realism is a poor arguement, but realistically tanks have crews of at least 3 to function at full capacity, and a majority of tank designs require 4-5 crew members, though that assumes a lack of auto-loaders.

Other things to consider: Should like skills be stacked for an extra effect?
    Should a vehicle operate at reduced capacity if undermanned for it's type? (e.g. an AFV/APC might be fully manned at 2 crew, but a tank might need a crew of 4 to operate at full capacity).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  2. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

cling to side of tank.

3. OuNin

OuNin Member

4. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Infinite? so 25 people on one tank?

5. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I'd love that. One well placed 8 mine and the enemy teams dies in one hit.

6. Omneh

Omneh Member

Hold E to grab onto occupied friendly and enemy tanks. :D

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

actually thats the thing, the infantry sit on top so that they do not have to fear getting burned alive in a destroyed tank, if anything happens they dismount and go into combat

8. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

External dessant slots would be a cool add as well, especially for the last ditch attempt to win by ninja'ing the enemy cv.

My OP is for internal crew slots though, to be counted as protected by armor.

EDIT: and MY OP ultimate purpose to is for examining stacking of vehicle skills, not exactly getting the whole team on one vehicle.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  9. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Guise, do you want to defeat one of the purposes of apcs afv and nf jeeps? They have more slots so they can carry more people. Tanks are for battling

10. OuNin

OuNin Member

APCs and jeeps offer more protection.

Desant offers virtually none.

11. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

i think it would be sweet. Do kinda what halo did with the scorpion where people sit above the treads, on 4 people max. As far as im concerned, it'd look cool, feel cool, and be atleast a little bit useful with no cons! The idea of squad sticking together and riding in on a tank is bad ass. no really, imagine it. it's pretty friggen cool.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  12. Sirex

Sirex Member

No, for the love of god no.

13. OuNin

OuNin Member

I'd like some sort of minigame type thing for the other tank guys, as to simulate a tank crew. Maybe even assigning weapons to different seats.

14. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

The Hamster said something to the effect that weapons could only be assigned to the first two slots of a vehicle. Not sure why.

15. OuNin

OuNin Member

Those seats work. The guy turning the gun turret and the guy in the hatch seem to be inclined to using weapons.

16. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

The point was the slots #3+ might not be coded to allow for weapons. IDK, I'm not on the dev team.

17. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

Bump. I really like the tank desant idea, we cant go to far as to add 8 slots but i think about 4 slots ouside the first 2 slots on tank would be fantastic. Even if it's only a crappy quality test where models go into idle form and are stuck inside the tanks treads, i'd like to see even a real rough version get playtested. If this goes un-noticed, i'll post a new thread in the tester board.

18. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

It's not a bad idea. One of the problems with trying to use squads in Empires is how easily tanks can break them up... if infantry were buffed, it'd be interesting to see infantry support clinging to a tank, then fanning out to support it.

Yes, yes, you're supposed to use APCs... but it's hard enough to keep groups of people together as it is. Anything that makes it a bit easier is a good idea in my book.

19. jongscx

jongscx Member

...Now, can we cling onto ENEMY tanks and shoot through firing-holes? A well-timed desant onto an enemy could turn a splatter-attempt into a hijack...

20. OuNin

OuNin Member

I want to be able to throw a sticky down a tank's hatch.