Improving Teamwork

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Angry, May 13, 2006.

1. Angry

Angry Junior Member

[​IMG]

I started This thread because too many times have a seen commanders who are great tactions or just good commanders (Such as RPG, members of BSID, forum members and fellow emp team members) make orders and few people ever follow them. When people are told to attack the commander, do attack but unfortunetly the attacks are many times not very coordinated.

ladies and Gentalmen.... Lets come up with ways on how to improve teamplay and how to get people to work as a team. Just a small think tank on how we can make empires teamwork fun and encourage people to work as a team.

You get points for having suggestions that reward the player instead of forcing them however if it sounds like it will work really well then it doesnt matter what your suggestion is.

So far:
    -XP is given to the spotter and arty for hitting a spotted target |Bobbus

Last edited: May 13, 2006
  2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

-Killing a target TOGETHER (Ie, firing,damaging and killing them under a duration of 3-5 seconds) gives you points.

3. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Deny access to weapons if not doing comms task in 5 mins...
    not gonna work...

Whell, their has to be something that makes people do whatever the comm wants. Also, the guard command is hard to follow, maby fix that to repair/build?

EXP for doing whatever the comm wants could help, but only if its for things that you normally get points for. Say, you command an engeneer to build an armory. He does it and gets an extra point, or if you kill someone you get an extra point. Moving could be easily abused, so thats out of the exp picture.

P.S. Angry maby you should put that as your avatar! (crop it in paint)

4. Angry

Angry Junior Member

This isnt necisarly to make suggestions on doing what the comm wants. Its more of working as a team almost to the point where skill helps but it cannot win a game completely because people prefer to work as a team thus securing victory.

5. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member

Players should keep in mind, that the comm has a better overview about the situation, so they should follow his instructions. Not to do so could lead to loosing the round. Isn't that enough motivation to follow the comms instruction?
    Rhetoric question.
    So giving extra point seems to be a good idea for me.
    Your comm gives you the order to kill an enemy, you will get 1 point for killing and 1 point for following the instruction.
    Xour comm gives you the order to guard an unbuild ref, you will get 1 poit for every 100 hitpoints repair and 1 extra point for building up that unbuild ref.
    Just no points for moving orders...

6. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Yes, following the comm is good for teamplay because 3 engeneres might, instead of building the armory, one might run off, one might build it, and the other might run off in another direction.
    However, teamwork is not specifically about following the comm, so there should be more sugjestions about teamwork also, like beerdude's killing as a team sugjestion.
    Also, in support of his sugjestion, I may say that it is anoying when three people shoot at, say, an apc and only one gets the 5 points for killing the vehicle and the 4 people in it. Points should be given to all who shot the person, and not given to the person who killes it or divided equally.

7. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Rank points for completing certain commander orders such as killing a commander targeted unit, destroying a targeted structure or constructing something the commander orders you to construct.

Won't get points for completing move orders and stuff :o

8. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Hey, thats what I said!

Copy-Cat!

Come up with a USEFULL and ORIGINAL sugestion! jeez...

9. Atlas

Atlas Member

Not too original but...

Giving 'morale boost' when fighting with your other squad-mates. Like, improved accuracy, less weapon kick, maybe a slow heal, faster stamina recovery. These attributes would increase as more players fight together.

Although I thought having an Engy to fix you up and give you ammo was already a good plus to fighting as a team... and the fact that your buddies also draw enemy fire :p

Also instead of giving rank-points for every kill, why not give points per damage given? As in 1 point for every 200 points of damage dealt? Cause, its not too fair when you bring an enemy to his knees leaving him with 1hp, only to have some shmuck get a free rank point for hitting him once...

10. Stupid N00bie

Stupid N00bie Member

But 200 points is just too little. 500 points is a good amount without haveing someone just start shooting their own players so the engi can heal and on and on.

11. Atlas

Atlas Member

Well, it wouldn't give you points for team wounding... or shooting a building with a friggin rifle...

12. Bobbus

Bobbus Member

Semi-sidenote: If a commander gives a rightclick order onto an unbuild friendly building it should become Build instead of Guard, to more accurately represent the request.

13. Jimather

Jimather Member

but sometimes i want one unit to guard whilst another builds,

commander needs seperate guard and build order.

if he has units of a different class selected, and clicks guard, the engineers will receieve a build order, but other classes recieve a guard order.

but i can still order a non engineer to build with the build order.

14. Bobbus

Bobbus Member

The way Dystopia deals with assist points is that when an enemy dies you get 1 point for every 75 (I think) damage you have dealt to it (since their last spawn only), +1 for getting the killing blow.
    I believe Battlefield 2 gives a point if you do over half damage to an enemy.

15. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I tend not to read posts after the first two or three.

16. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

damnit wasnt logged in and wrote a whole story. TWICE aargh, i dont feel like writing everything again lol =( =(

Anyway, im very honoured :)
    I have had lots of games where my team had great teamwork and followed orders, those are the most fun matches for me to play as comm, just love to see when a plan comes together :D

I use mostly very risky tactics where i expect teamwork and skilled players, most of the time it works out well and its really amazing to see a few people turning the game by giving their utmost and getting the rest that isnt to good or doesnt really have an idea what is going on, to get a chance to get deep into the action. Also notice that most of the players that actually follow my orders and make us win the game arent necessary the best either, a commander should spend some time with every individual, altho this is only really possible in a perfect scenario, I know a lot of people by now on the servers and know what to expect from them and try to give them orders in the amount that i think will help them (i do overdo the orders, but you gotta bare with me that when i go to far away, the player gets deselected, and its not too easy to click on an enemy when zoomed out and stuff like that), Also when we get further in the game I usually tend to defend more and take a safer route to protect what we have achieved and let engineers still build a lot (depending on the situation tho) and do some last minute stuff while we actually won the game, I have seen some games turn for the bad in the last minute because our defence was bad, not that we lost these games, but it was pertty close and I wouldnt want to see it happen.
    Errm ok that was long lol...

anyway now to my suggestion (got it a bit from reading these forums)

I was thinking, first of all, the commander should get points for every building that is built, engineers still gets points for every 100 points. Also comm should get points for every research hes done, and maybe another way to get more points (on a side note, I think the commander should be in the top of the player list, beacuse he is the commander, no matter what)

now to where giving commander more points works for his team, a commander should be able to give out maybe 2 free skills at every rank to give to his team.when he reaches 10 points, he gets another 2 rank points to give out and so on.

This would first of all get the team to try and do everything to up the commanders points to get more free skills, and also let every individual player try and get noticed by the comm by following his orders to get one of the 2 points.

I think the commander should be able to get to choose at every rank out of 4 skills, 1 for each class, so he can choose which player of which class he would like to up, and that he is forced to give 1 skill to 2 different classes (so he wont give one engineer, maybe his clanmate, 2 skills and the rest gets jack shit)

Ok this sounded a bit confusing, im not good at explaining, but the comm gets to give out 2 free skills, he may only choose 1 for each class, so he has to give 1 to lets say a riflemen that is running infront of everyone, and 1 to an engineer that is the first or only one building a ref, or just random.
    Then when he gets to 10 points (or 25 or whatever), he may give out another 2 skills, the same way.

This can be abused ofcourse like "i dont like you" or "i only give to my clanmembers" or "i dont care what you did, i wasnt watching you", or whatever other reason. you cant really avoid this since we are all hu-mans, but the idea is to up the commander so like lets say in the end there have been 8 skills given out to 8 different players, and we now have an edge on the enemy, no matter if i got one of the skills or not.

Ok this last part i kinda forgot how i said it, anyway in short
    every skill could have a temporary boost and permanent boost, like when giving the skill, for example a riflemen skill, it could give the riflemen some ammo immidiatly, and boost the amount of ammo he can carry permanently for 25%.

Or for the engineer, refill his calculator back to 100 repair points, and give him a 10% faster repairing permanently.

This way a commander could decide to keep his skills untill someone needs it doing important stuff, or give it to an engineer right away so he has faster repairing from the start (which in the end would make him build more than than the 100 rank point immidiate boost when the skill is given)
    So there will be a bit more comm vs comm strategy when to give those skills

now i had a long story here to explain it all a bit better =(
    its long enough i guess for you guys to get the point, another thing could be later that both factions get their own kind of free commander given skills

like maybe nf riflemen gets stimpack that to a immidiate speed and rof boost, and a permanent stamina boost

and BE riflemen maybe gets 50 hp back immidiatly and a permanent up in armor, which should be like 20% or less.

edit: overall weaker skills compared to the normal skills players get when they rank

17. FalconX

FalconX Developer

I think, instead, that at the end the winning commander should just be rocketed to the top of the score list. This recognizes him for all of his actions, and not simply the ones that can be quantified. And after all, what would the commander do with rank points? If he's good he'll be commanding, and wont need to improve his accuracy.

Exactly. It promotes favoratism. Which generates resentment. Which generates people who quit the game, or sabatoge your team. Most people will ignore that "we now have an edge on the enemy" because they don't see it, or know it's there. There is a way to avoid this. Don't let the commander give rank points to his players.

18. dizzyone

well if someone commed, the whole game, then in the end gets out drives a tank, to shoot the enemy cv, that fleed next to your base to try a last rush (while your whole team is still in their base)
    he wont get these points, even worse, a emp_recruit joins, enters the cv and gets all the points, because he thought it was the boom tank

that doesnt really work? other ways would be comms change once in a while, they should get points for the amount they did while being comm, not being comm in the end.

And also, the commander of the losing team is not worthy of any points? He has to hang around the bottom of his team list because he lost? The rambo scout that didnt do anything for the team is now the highest on the list, why shouldnt the scoring matter if you lost, i think it should tbh.

19. FalconX

FalconX Developer

Granted. Letting the comm use rank points to give other people rank is still a bad idea though imo.

20. dizzyone

yeh it doesnt really fit in, i just like the sexyness of it :)