Ideas for infantry upgrades.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Awrethien, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

I was thinking of how the grenadier has some upgrades but none of the other classes do. That hardly seams fair in my opinion.:p I was trying to think up some different ideas that would fit in but not be to over powering. Tell me what you guys think and add any ideas you can think of to.

Rifleman- Upgraded HMG. Basically once you get explosive bullets you can equip the HMG with them to damage vehicles. Id say about 2/3 the damage per second of the basic explosive mg but leave it the same way against infantry. That way they are useful but not overpowered since you can spawn with them for free.

Engineer- Upgraded Batteries. Let the calculator recharge faster. NOT to be confused with the repair on healing upgrades. The only time I can think of this being over powered is on infantry maps but then you cant research then anyway.:)

Scout- Conceal. When the scout is hiding one team member that is also crouched or crawling within a small distance will also be hidden. Would alow a good pair working together to really cause some problems.

2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Rifleman: A well cordinated apc-he-mg rush tears apart every light tank so a bunch of rifleman with a he-mg imbalance the game to much i think

Engineer: with repair upgrade their are not so many situation i have a zero an my calculator

Scout: Scout Squadleader could do something similar

3. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

This would mostly increase research time even longer, so etheir change name of RPG-upgrade to Infantry Upgrade (giving all classes benefits at the same time), or we will have people scream ''Zoomg! WTF?! Why didn't you get me railgun for my snipergun?!?!?!?!''

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

So does a well coordinated upgraded RPG grenadier rush, but nobody does those because of how impractical they are.

5. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

If your team has time to get HEMG and the other is still using LTs they deserve to be loosing lol.

Usefull for setting up forward bases, repairing a base under heavy attack and reviving.

True but squad powers are only for a limited time and can only be used sparingly.

But hey Im just posting some ideas. If you got any better ideas go ahead and shoot. :)

6. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Engineer: Ammo crates give snacks. Giving 5-10hp per use.

Everyone knows that sometimes it can be a pain in the ass to heal 5 ppl jumping up and down to get your attention. Drop an ammo crate and feed the masses.

7. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

I sure agree with Viroman, Why be able to only drop ammo? Health is what makes you survive..

8. gezor

gezor Member

that would be useful.

because it would be pretty imba. imagine: grenadiers hiding behind walls with ammo and healthboxes. no further suport required. possible everywhere on the map.

9. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

An engineer could easily be with that gren currently, guarding with an SMG

I like the ammo health suggestion.

What if engineer calcs did double damage against enemies.

10. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

"What if engineer calcs did double damage against enemies."

LMAO I remember the first time I played this mod... I was like "if a calc can heal troops it should hurt them too". I got my self killed three times before I figured out it didn't do a Fing thing to them. lol

double damage against enemy tanks sounds SUPER. I have tried to deconstruct enemy tanks after they run out of ammo lots of times... its just takes for Fing ever to deconstruct tanks.

Engineer: Upgraded nanites create an acid that eats away a tank hull two times faster then previously possible.(com tanks immune)

11. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

+
    Grenade launcher.
    Description:
    • Works with SMG1/2
    • Same grenade type and inventory as class
    Pros:
    • Can be launched while firing gun.
    • More accurate than throwing.
    • Launched harder than throwing - speed extends range before detonation.
    • Can injure or even kill if enemy is struck at close range. (i.e. big bullet. :headshot:)
    Cons:
    • Must manually reload each round. (i.e. Press <R>)
    • Launched too hard to be useful at close range for non-infantry target.
    • Will bounce harder than thrown grenade.
    Alternatives:
    • n/a

12. Balo

Balo Member

Oh, yeah I've a lot of ideas for this, some might help, some are just for fun lol.

General:

+ Engineering knowledge: Rifleman, Scout, Grenadier build x3 faster with E key. Engineers use 1/2 charge points while build/repair.

+ Boost all team armor. +15% +20% Stacks with skills.

+ Boost all team damage. +5% +10% Stacks with skills.

+ Medical knowledge: all team can heal with E key. Engineers use 1/2 charge points while healing.

+ Speed boost: +5% +10% Stacks with skills.

Rifleman:

+ New weapon: Laser rifle. perfect accuracy, laser beam that is very powerful but takes very long to reload, able to do average damage to light tanks, APCs and jeeps.

Grenadier:
    + New weapon: Flamethrower, Liquid based flamethrower that burns infantry and overheats vehicles.

Scout:

+ New weapon: C4 bomb, does very very high damage to buildings, have to be next to the building to set up, average damage to infantry and vehicles, large area of effect.

Engineer:

+ Smart engineering: Faster recharge rate for engineer tool.

+ New Weapon: Electric shotgun, shots electric charged bolts that do damage and also stun the target, does heavy damage to Vehicles armors. Secondary fire shots a single accurate shot for long range usage, it looses damage potential but the stun effect remains. <--- lol, im crazy

And thats all I've wondering since Im playing Empires LOL :rolleyes:

13. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I'm nut sure about Some of those Balo. Increasing e building time Would be huge For sneaky scouts. Theyd be able to sneak behind the lines and build a barracks. really quickly

what if you could upgrade the Radar. Give it larger range. let it See infanfry and buildings. Upgrade the Armoury So that if gives out health and ammo faster or even in a radius

I agree with the 5 to 10 Percent boost researches

14. Balo

Balo Member

Well there wont be a problem if Radars/cameras detected stealth Scouts, I dont really know if they do now, I think they don't. Also barracks is something that takes a while to build even with repair upgrade. Unless 5+ scouts build non-stop that barracks i don't think they'll be able to make it even with x3 build E.

Thats something that needs testing I guess.

If this ever gets implemented they should make E build cancel hide skill while on use.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  15. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Some ideas...

For all classes: Improved training. Grants everyone an additional skill slot immediately, like the bonus one for joining a squad.

Grenadiers: Additional mines. Simple enough; research lets them have more mines out at once. Perhaps this could also improve mine damage.

Grenadiers: Heat-seeking RPGs. If the grenadier holds the crosshairs on a tank for a bit when firing, the RPG becomes homing.

Engineers: Improved supply lines. Allows engineers to drop ammo crates more frequently; ammo crates also last longer. (This will effectively let engineers have two crates out at once.)

Engineers: Advanced turret deployment. All engineer turrets (whether they have the upgrade ability or not) start at level 2. The personal upgrade ability is still needed to reach level 3 (and, of course, by starting at level 2 they can reach it faster.)

16. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

additional mines has GOT to be a skill... because lots of people DON'T want them. although i'm not against the skill really.

supply lines: awesome suggestion

turret deployment: sounds great to me

heat seaking/homing rockets: wanted this for ages, good suggestion

upg guided rockets (so it's like the vehicle guided rockets): i want this too!

improved training: i don't think this should come under research, no real need for it.

17. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Maybe for that heat seeking upgrade, having the coolant engine would counter it unless you have 75% or more (might be higher/lower) heat, having the engineer cooling upgrade would allow reduced homing abilities and 5% more for the coolant engine anti-homing ability.

18. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

An improved mortar range option for grenadiers would be nice, too. Although it would have to be a pretty high-up research option (as high as arty tanks) since it could be an overwhelming advantage, letting them attack the enemy base indirectly from safer positions... still, it would make a nice 'capstone' to an infantry-based tree.

Oh, I forgot to say, for the other suggestions: Most, like the 5-10-15% things, seem good.

I don't think there should be anything, though, that would either give engineers the ability to heal themselves (eg. healing creates) or make riflemen better at damaging any tank above light (eg. DU ammo). Engineers healing themselves is probably overpowered (remember how overwhelming Enemy Territory medics were?), while riflemen fighting mediums and heavies sorta infringes on grenadier turf. Riflemen are supposed to be for fighting infantry and APCs, with Grenadiers for fighting armor; their upgrades should reflect this.

It's also worth thinking of what effect more infantry upgrades will have on the gameplay... in general, tank upgrades aren't useful unless you have the resources to build tanks using them. Infantry upgrades will be useful immediately, so they'll give "underdogs" more of a chance (although overall, of course, even with all the upgrades listed here the side with lots of resources will still have the advantage.)

Is this a good thing? It could be. A lot of maps tend to go a bit too easily to whoever rushes and grabs resource points first... but it could also make maps last longer and go into ticket-grinding when they otherwise wouldn't.

19. Balo

Balo Member

You will have to fin your own combo; Infantry burns tickets, and Tanks resources, which one will give you more advantage? Thats up to you.

Also, even if infantry upgrades are immediate you never know if the prize to research will be much higher to make up for the fact that they're free.

20. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

I would like to see the research unlock new weapons (etc) for inf.
    Like different armours will unlock new armour for riflemen.
    Plasma could unlock a plasma grenade.
    Perhaps locking some of the currently available weapons away in different parts of the research tree. Like putting the HMG away in Machining or something.

Yeah I'm not being very specific here.