Idea for MG turrets...

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by halbalbador, Jul 8, 2006.

1. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

Just a thought, was playing my map and I noticed that when a turret shoots up at someone who is on a higher ground than the turret, the turret aims for the center of the person, and is unable to hit them.

Maybe if the turrets weren't 100% deadly accurate, but sprayed bullets out in more of a cone that got wider as the bullets shot farther, it would not only eliminate this problem but would also make them a little less accurately menacing.

Also, another suggestion for the turrets is to make them shoot in spurts rather than simply full-blast shooting.

Overheating perhaps?

I also still stick by my idea that turrets should be overridable. An engineer should be able to tell a turret what to attack or even control it himself.

Also, perhaps enemy engineers should have the luxury of capturing turrets rather than simply deconstructing them?

Go with it.

2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Hmmm... I like the idea of capturing enemy turrets. Suddenly, entire turret farms are switched over to the other side. Say goodbye to your res :p

3. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

I definitly like all of those ideas! I also noticed on your map, (be sure to fix this somehow, unless they fix the turrets) that when someone made their way onto the hills surrounded the bases, and could attack everything in our base, the MG turret (lvl 3) kept hitting the ground beneath him because of the angle. We could barely kill him, because of where he was.

4. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

first suggestion would definitly be a lot better, but imo these turrets should give you some extra time and should be the "build once and forget" things rather than having engineers spending lots of time on them as if they're a tamagotchi.

5. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member

Engis are quite powerful as they are. So, no capture.

6. pixelized

pixelized Member

Capturing turrets would stop comms from farming possibly. Sounds like a good thing especially with how choked the official server gets.

7. Beerdude26

It would take a minute or so to take over a turret with building upgrade (so two minutes normally). You can also just destroy the turrets to let the tanks through for that fast tank rush.

8. AnRK

AnRK Member

whos gonna want to stand there for a 2 minutes nevermind a minute capturing a turret though? the contruction process is a bit tedious sometimes in the first place so i dont think people are going to want to jepordise a long walk over to the other side of the map again for the sake of 1 turret which is more then likley to have been covered in some way or form anyway

as for the tamagotchi thing there should be much more then that, id get a greater sense of satifaction if i knew i was keeping my turret well fed with ammo, making sure i gave it plenty of oil so it didnt get thirsty and making sure i wiped all the blood off it regularly so it was a nice clean happy turret

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

turret farming is exactly what this is NOT going to stop. this will mean that players suddenly NEED backup turrets to defend their turrets, to prevent them being turned against them.

also, this means that you, as a tank, can be happily chugging away when one of the turrets you though was friends starts attacking you. same for infantry.

Sandbag Says: No.

10. pixelized

pixelized Member

How about an emp grenade that disables turrets for 15 or 30 seconds?

11. Beerdude26

That's pretty long. How about 10 seconds?

12. thaile

thaile Member

The flashbang grenades of scout disables turrets already.

13. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

No overheating, no ammo limit, but spraying turrets would be a step up.

14. pixelized

pixelized Member

I've never seen it work.

15. Slithzerikai

Neither. But don't make turrets overheat, they are not supposed to be Engineer food, they are meant to kill people.

16. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

I wasnt thinking of the turrets overheating... just firing in bursts than full auto for as long as necessary. It just seems unrealistic and I think it would make it feel more like war if it were spurts of firing and a cone of accuracy.

As to the capturing turrets... With level three turrets, half the time I dont know whose turret it is unless I look on the map and see that we dont have a building there or the turret starts shooting at me. I honestly dont see a problem with an NF turret shooting NF soldiers. I don't see any added confusion. If there is a problem, how about the NF turret model changing to a BE model when captured?

I really like the tomagachi idea however you spell that. I think turrets should atleast be fed ammo every like... oh I dont know ten minutes or something. Like a rocket turret maybe every 100-300 rockets or something. I like the idea of having to maintain turrets. It should def. pop up on the HUD for the engie and the comm though when turrets need help.

IDEAS PEEPS

17. Slithzerikai

The existing experimental Project 90 automated sentry turret works, and that's in real life, and it shoots in full auto. It needs to be reloaded though, because it is a made-for-man weapon.

18. Glockmeister

Glockmeister Member

Perhaps we can make smoke grenades disable turrets (or at least make it harder to acquire the target) when its is thrown at the base of the turret.

19. Slithzerikai

That would be possible.

20. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I think the first time i played I kept tossing smoke grenades at a turret thinking that that would disable the sensor. As luck would have it, I died minutes later. I think smoke disabling turrets would be great, but that brings a problem: Smoke grenades would the be useful, which means that they would get used more, which means more lag.

ofc It might be easier if we all played tetris instead...