I think we should have a balancing patch

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Sonata Arctica, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

I think we should have a small patch that balances the tank weaponry. For example, Cyber's Script. You know, the one where he balanced EVERY vehicular weapon. Dual rails weren't as rapage as before, nukes do ACTUAL damage and not just be a Plasma Missle. I'm really sick of having games end automatically just because BE has dual rails.

If you don't like Cyber's Script, then we can have someone else balance the game.

This beta testing forum is collecting dust. So instead of sitting on our asses and picking our noses, we should look for ways to balance the game.

Since Orange Box seems to be leagues away in the future, might as well do this.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  2. pixelized

pixelized Member

if nothing else we should consolidate the full installer with the 2.12 patch plus fix the rpgs.

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I think this is a good idea.

4. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

There is a problem...

If they did what a lot of developers do...they just kept editing and saving over the source code instead of saving full back-ups in increments.

5. Reef

Reef Member

We have subversion, it keeps changes. You can download any version You need if You have access to svn.

6. Drag

Drag Member

My opinion:

Ranged Cannon
    "Speed""3400"// changed from 3000 (maybe too much, but you hit a lot better...)
    "Inertia""2"// changed from 3

Plasma Cannon
    "Heat""14"// changed from 16 <-- OMG PLASMA RAPES NOW

Rail Gun
    "Heat""8" // changed from 6 (worked better in matches)
    "Heat To Target""0.1" // changed from 0.5 (dearly needed...)

Biological Missle
    "Weight""100"// changed from 120 (any less would be a problem... it IS powerful)

Nuclear Missle
    "Heat To Target""25"// changed from 50 (counters nuke bug)
    "Cost""175" // changed from 150

Standard Machine Gun (sad but true, mainly to counter 3std mg a tad bit...)
    "Damage""30"// changed from 40

.50 Cal Machine Gun (debateable)
    "Clip Size""100" // changed from 75

Maybe buff BE assault rifles. Maybe change something with the rpgs.

Meh, that would be a start.
    Anyways I think another version of 2.12, 2.13??? is unlikely to happen. I'd advocate these changes for a next version though.

7. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

id like the changes drag suggested to be made in a "2.13" patch along with adding +10 maximum weight for afvs to allow them to hold another plate of armour so they dont get owned by lts as badly. Its not really as if a balance patch with a few script changes would be a huge trouble and itd hardly slow down development of 2.2

8. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

IMO there is too much that needs to be done for balance weapon scripts aren't really enough.

9. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

why don't we just get the new version?

: /

10. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

jeeps crash the game.

the least we could do is nerf the railguns. the least. i'm fine with the medium and light tank metagames, but the heavy metagame is heavily skewed towards BE.

11. Drag

Drag Member

They do? Please send me a bugreport stating when and where that happened.

12. Caelo

Caelo Member

if only empires had a few decent modelers, then that idea of putting in another 4 different tanks would be possible :)

(man I luv that idea! :/)

13. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

If 2.2 is still a long way from getting released, a balancing patch will be released, or probably a testing version for the new balance, which I'd rather hold off as 2.2 apparantly seems to work differently in regards of cycle time etc, or whatever it is, the weapons just react differently.

I'd really want to hold it off, but if theres no choice, expect some new playtesting versions on 2.1.

Simon suggested a lot of changes for balance, that will be put into any next version until the new balance is ready for testing, I'm going to take some time off work in a few months to actualyl have the time to release all the stuff and mess around with some of the animation sequences (rpg reload etc).
    About more tank models, that is all dependant on what don megel wants to do with them, he has some ideas he wanted to implement, one of them being a new beast tank.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  14. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Sounds wicked

15. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Yaye... somethings happening in this forum.

16. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Cyber-Kun's weapon scripts are good but they have one problem.

It feels that every vehicle weapon is as useless as the rest of them. His scripts smooth out the distortion between the weapons making them equally effective.

With some tweaks so that some weapons would be a bit different his scripts could be good once to balance the game.

But currently as they are, they just turn the game to a struggle where everyone lose.

17. Kamber

Kamber Member

awesome :D

I think a balancing patch is a good idea, it would split up the amount of work that needs to be done(as dizzyone said, stuff seems to work slightly differently in the ob version so we may have to rebalanced alot of stuff) and be something that we could use to assure people that work is being done on empires.

18. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Exactly, the anti-infantry vehicle MGs are no longer bugged, and are FAR MORE EFFECTIVE than they should be. Specifically, the chaingun.

19. Drag

Drag Member

Tested 3x Chaingun for fun, mowed down 12 bots in 3 seconds. Whootay.

20. Silk

Silk Mapper

That's all very nice and everything, and i certainly appreciate the time you put in it. But i do get the feeling we'll never see a new empires release when the devs are thinking in terms of 'months'. When it takes a few months to get the time to mess around with animations, how many months will it be untill you have once again time to mess around with something else.

I do not need a new release every year, but even if you think in terms of weeks it still ends up taking over a year before something is pro enough to be publicly released. If you plan on messing around with animations in a few months, i can't but think it will be decades untill each and every thing that is left to do will actually be done.

Or has work been spread amongst so many that everyone only has to do a few things themselves?